AKG K812 Pro
Feb 2, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #3,331 of 4,832
  Do you mean the Micro iDSD combo vs the Lyr + HPA4 stack? Sure, I can do that, but since the HPA4 acts as a preamp, where should I leave the volume knob at for a fair comparison? The other issue I can think of that might affect volume is that I'd using Fostex Audio player with the HPA4 + Lyr stack and Foobar with the Micro iDSD. BTW, I'm pretty much a newbie, so take what I say with a pinch.....no, a cupful of salt.
redface.gif

thanks for replying.

I mean headphone out of both fostex and ifi without any external amp.

which one is better pairing with k812?

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #3,332 of 4,832

thanks for replying.

I mean headphone out of both fostex and ifi without any external amp.

which one is better pairing with k812?

Oh, I can do that! I'm pretty certain the Micro iDSD has much more power than the Fostex HPA4, but will use them to assess sound and amplitude with the K812. Just not now though, I'm still at work.

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #3,333 of 4,832
  Oh, I can do that! I'm pretty certain the Micro iDSD has much more power than the Fostex HPA4, but will use them to assess sound and amplitude with the K812. Just not now though, I'm still at work.

k812 looks to be easy to drive. if a4 has better dac, maybe its better overall package?

would like to hear your impressions.

thanks

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #3,341 of 4,832
http://www.head-fi.org/t/753033/akg-k8xx-massdrop-k812#post_11274468

I started the AKG K8XX thread. Not sure if Danny from Massdrop will talk with AKG about it? If there is enough votes I can't see how they will pass on the opportunity. Looking at how stupid well (good way) the K7XX are doing, can't see it being that difficult to convince AKG.

Does de-value and lower flagship image of the K812. But end of the day AKG is a business and also owned by Harman Kardon which is all about profits and spinning the AKG brand around.

Didn't want to violate the rules so I deleted the website, but you can probably guess by yourself...

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #3,343 of 4,832
  Would be quite surprised if AKG did that for their current flagship... the K7 series was a whole other thing, that driver is at the end of its lifespan I think.

Very true, K7XX was AKG's way of milking the last of the investment they put into the K7 series, casting and tooling machines etc. I am sure AKG invested much R&D cost into the K812. By looking at their sales on Massdrop and local store, not nearly as popular as HD800 (even after 6 years) for example or many of the other high fi headphones. I am sure AKG wants to atlest make back their investment, even if it slightly tarnish the K812 image.

World rewords the ones who try, thus gotta try for the K8XX.

AKG should also be easy to convince as they seen the sales of K7XX.

AKG also can lack of better word dumb down the K8XX, giving no Omega stand and overboard packaging. Save some money on the consumer end also doesn't compete with the flagship image of K812.

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #3,344 of 4,832
Source is the most important thing in any system, DAC or stand alone CD player, doesnt matter, but first of all, the basics: digital file, CD or vinyl.

To my understanding, any audio component should have very good power supply section, which make sure that those components sound stable, with minimum stress and delivered power should be as clean as possible, because if its not, the chances that all that nasty and filthy things will be picked up by the rest of the system, include headphones, are very big and thats not good.

An good system is a system that been put together with care, where each stage was carefully chosen and matched. Of course, we all have our own opinion about the sound that we like, but thats not an issue here, but to find and eliminate the weak link is.

What I am trying to say, amp is the last in the line, before headphones, so, folks must understand the basics of the audio and begin from there.

Quote:
  You mean as in a good quality DAC or DAC and quality POWERFUL amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back