AKG k81 VS. Sennehiser HD205
Aug 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BASSOHOLIC

New Head-Fier
hello all, i seriously need your help.

i need a good set of headphones for my player, and i wanna invest in a GOOD QUALITY set.

my two options now, suitable for my budget are:

AKG K81 for 69$.
i love AKG and i wanna have a foldable set, but i know nothing about their sound quality.
or
SENNEHISER HD 205 for 50$
i tried them and the sound is pretty amazing, they are quite tight and NOT foldable.

what should i do?

thanks!

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 5
Well the K81 is rather boomy, which may or may not be to your tastes. For low volume environments I just EQ it down with my portable (others prefer to do more intensive stuff like the "blu-tack" mod), but on the train etc. it can actually be helpful to have that bass volume else it gets lost in the outside noise. It has a fairly good soundstage considering it's closed (I seem to remember in a comparison I did it even sounded as spacious, if not more, than the Sennheiser HD497 which is more of an open design), although even with the bass reduced a bit, the mid range can sound a little recessed and fuzzy. Treble is fairly rolled off, but still has a little sparkle. For the price in the UK at least, it's not that bad a headphone if you ask me, but if we're talking US dollars, it's probably a bit steep considering the lower prices around here then to be more like £35-£40.

As for comfort, the K81 is also quite tight, especially depending on the shape of your head. However, most people place some books between it to stretch it out a little (don't over-stretch it though). Even with this you may find you don't like it when it comes to long listening sessions.

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 5
thanks for the help man, u really did helped me on this one.
does the price of the k81 (which is more expensive than the hd205) really justify its quality? or does the hd205 are simpley better and cheaper?

does the term HD is really something? cuz im afraid im missing here a good product that is only 55$...

Aug 13, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 5
This is your first pair of headphones.  Think long, think wrong.  If you like the way that the HD205 sound, and they cost appreciably less, go for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back