AKG K81/518 DJ/LE Thread and *Review*
May 4, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #31 of 131
it true, i had some sennheiser HD238 and the cable broke twice so i got a refund. But now i know how to recable, so all is good if a cable breaks.

May 4, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #32 of 131
anyone else to give their opinion? Owners of these cans, come on. Post pics too!

May 4, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #33 of 131
is there seriously no one who still uses these? Shame as they are great bang for buck.

May 4, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #34 of 131
Still using mine. I prefer them out of my ZuneHD, Gives it a little bottom. Out of the sony A726 i need to turn the EQ off or it is just to tubby sounding
Best non Ety cans I have for isolation.

May 4, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #35 of 131
I am considering either these or the Hd 25-1-ii for portable use.
To the guy using tube isolator on the cable: are you sure that isn't heatshrink? If you don't know, use a heat gun or a lighter close to it and see if it shrinks. It would look nice =)

May 4, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #37 of 131
i'm going to get some heat shrink for the y-split and strain reliefs, and to protect the wires above the y-split under the old bootlaces.
Dobby glad you still like yours, they are great for portable use, if you recable or shorten the cable.

May 5, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #38 of 131
well i'm currently listening to underworlds new album barking, and WOW!!! It sounds AMAZING!!! On these cans. I'm in love with them, great cans AKG

May 5, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #39 of 131

Quote:
is there seriously no one who still uses these? Shame as they are great bang for buck.

Everyone sold them because they got a HD25-1 II. 
wink_face.gif
 I know I did. 

May 5, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #40 of 131
oh right, shame... I think they are great entry cans. Also pendulum - tarantula sounds amazing on them.

May 9, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #41 of 131
well now they are fully burned in, with over 300 hours i suspect, they have mellowed. Nowhere near as bass heavy as when i first got them, and the mids and highs have really opened up. Dont get me wrong, they still pack some nice punch in the lows, but now its more controlled (i think it's partially down to the recable i did too) but now they are really nice to listen to. Whenever i let people try them they are shocked by how much i paid for them, cheap and very nice sounding. Overall i'm very pleased with them. The only thing is that i kinda miss the bigger soundstage of the Panasonic RP-HTX7. But thats a small price for better mids and overall SQ.

May 18, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #42 of 131
being a freak, i didnt like the laces covering the wire, and i recently got some heatshrink, so i redid the cable, and now its just heatshrink covering the wires, and it looks much better now. Wouldnt mind some nylon multifilament for all the cable tho. Maybe someday. Will post pics of them as they are now soon. I was never happy with the job, untill now.

May 18, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #43 of 131
Ok. Here comes my 2 cents. Love these cans! These are my first step into the deep waters of audiophilia. Their sound signature is exactly what I wanted for a potable can, for use in the subway, and even at home, for games, movies and music through my Audio GD FUN. I do have to say they do clamp a little on the hard side, and I do feel it after a few hours of constant use, but nothing some good beats can't fix. Pads in the cups - gone. I feel like they balanced the sound a bit more, as OP said. Also, I recabled mine as soon as possible, and boy did they sing after. The highs became a bit more crystal like and clear. The mids came a little more to the front, and the bass seemed to deepen and become a bit more full. Here's some pics for you peeps:

My first recable of any headphone. Did not take long and this was while I was still learning how to properly solder.

A little messy, due to the cable + nylon + heatshrink being slightly too big for the plug

First Y-Split. Also a little messy but is holding quite nice.

This is a pic of my initial cup entry job. Since then I have pulled those out and reattached them with some hardcore superglue. Now they do not move at all and will not be coming out for a long while.

May 18, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #44 of 131
nice first recable, mine isnt better, so dont be ashamed. Will post pics tomorrow if i can. Mine was also my first recable, but i have undone it a few times, cos i wasnt happy, but now i am. They do become better with an upgraded cable, and i do love their sound sig, just perfect for me, does the portable job really well.

May 18, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #45 of 131
I still have my pair I use them as backup cans as I rarely use headphones anymore-IEMs for portable use and speakers at home. However with that being said every time I give them a listen they never fail to produce a smile. Mine are recabled with Mogami mini quad (search my previous threads, I made one for the AKG's) which has tamed the bass a bit. Still has a slightly recessed midrange but it isn't as noticeable as a brand new pair because the low range is not as prominent. A neat fact: these phones haven't been replaced in years-a testament to the fact that I am still satisfied with them.

Brendan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back