AKG K81/518 DJ/LE Thread and *Review*
May 2, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #17 of 131
yes i know, but i just wanted to get the cable in. i put PTFE tape around the wires so it should be easy to take apart again. i'm very impatient. did you notice that i used old boot laces to cover the wires above the Y-split HEHE

May 2, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #18 of 131
this is the cable i used:

http://profigold.bandridge.nl/products/profigold/sound/analogue_connections/3_5mm/high_performance_portable_audio_interconnect/general.html

May 2, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #20 of 131

Quote:
That cable manufacturer suddenly lost all credibility when I came across their selection of cables that were "created especially for LED TVs."

well where i live there isnt much choice. it looks alright to me but who am i to tell. but it feels very robust and well made. it cost me 22 euros (overpriced cables!!! i hate portugal for that)

May 2, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #21 of 131
I'm sure it's a great cable, it's just, LED TV is nothing but a buzzword. :p  LED TVs are simply HDTVs that are backlit with LEDs.  Don't see how having special interconnect cables for them will suddenly make anything any better, or make any difference at all.

The only kind of cable I could see spending a moderate amount of money on is portable ones...since they need to be durable and well-made, unlike home theatre/speaker system interconnect cables which are installed once and never touched again.

May 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #22 of 131
that is very true. But home audio quality is important too. As i said in a earlier post the stock cable was very thin and flimsy. This one feels very robust, and inside it has very good braiding and sheilding. Also the jack is very nice.

May 2, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #23 of 131
Randomkid I just noticed that you're from portugal too! Quite some head-fi'ers from our country are starting to show up... Are you from lisbon?

Anyway, I was always curious about profigold, since it sells cheap in fnac, and seemed like it could be used well for a recable. Good to hear that you're enjoying those cans and good job on the recable. I used boot laces once too and there's no shame to it =D works just as well as nylon multifilament and it looks cool. Anyway, I'm thinking of ordering some Mogami mic cable, both W2893 and w2534, if you're from lisbon and you're interested, we could make a group buy and share the import charges.

May 3, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #24 of 131
im in the alentejo and theres an american store redco which sells mogami W2893 for cheap, and postage isnt expensive. Im going to order some soon i think. The only problem with the profigold is debraiding, it took ages.

Thanks for the comment

May 3, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #25 of 131
hey, how come no one really posted in this thread, is there no love for this can anymore? I thought there would still be people with these, and loving them. I really dont know. For me they are excelent. Really good bang for buck. The K81 DJ thread died a while ago, so i thought this one might do well, i guessed wrong.

May 3, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #26 of 131
Well after removing the foam and adding tape to strengthen that badly isolated cable the K518 - I have the 'LE' - has become a portable favourite. It even replaced my PX200 II which is - in my opinion - the better sounding portable headphone without the outstanding isolation.

I later added some elastics and tape to make the inside headband more comfortable. The last adjustment has been 'clothing' the cable in some kind of plasticky isolation for cables. Trying out what adjustment works and what not is a lot of fun. A recable is maybe next...

P.S. I had the RP-THX7 and I only really liked it amplified, without amplification the K518 - without foam insert! - is for my preferences the better headphone.

May 3, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #27 of 131
thats true about the HTX7 it is better amped. I do much prefer the AKG's, my portable favs that i have tested. I thought the PX200 II was good but the cups are very small and the volume control is very bulky. I still prefer the AKG, maybe the PX200 II is clearer but atm for the price nothing beats the AKG's. Especially without the foam pads.

May 4, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #29 of 131
interesting looking cable, did the tubing make it much stronger? I think a recable with these cans is the way to go.

May 4, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #30 of 131
The isolating 'hose' so to 'speak' does not really add to the strength. Before I added it I already used tape for electrical appliance to keep the cable from tangling. The 'hose' just adds isolation in order to make that cable more suitable for outdoor use. The stock cable cannot stand the colder temperatures so it tangles up. It is a shame so many headphone manufacturers use that cheap and thin cable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back