AKG K702.... What amplifier ?
Jan 29, 2011 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kelvinmunson

New Head-Fier
Have been using the AKG K240MkII for a while but I have recently purchased a pair of AKG K702 headphones........... first impression, even before burning in, they are awesome.............. I am currently using the headphone output of my Marantz PM 66SE.... which is pretty good.......... but this is not going to give me the full benefit of the K702s

So..........I have started looking into Headphone Amplifiers............... I have so far been advised to look at equipment such as  a Graham Slee, Icon Audio, Lehmann Audio etc...... what are you guys using with these phones ? .............anybody using a valve amplifier ?

I'd be very interested to hear your experiences and recommendations; maybe comparison with the headphone-out of your integrated amplifier ?

How much better can they get ?

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 6

Quote:

So..........I have started looking into Headphone Amplifiers............... I have so far been advised to look at equipment such as  a Graham Slee, Icon Audio, Lehmann Audio etc...... what are you guys using with these phones ? .............anybody using a valve amplifier ?

Burson audio is worth mentioning also, if you want to choose a Solid state amp for the K702's...the HA-160 drives them very well. 

You may want to take a look at the amps section on this forum. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 6
M-Stage gets great reviews and is said to have really good synergy with the AKG 70X series. It can be had for $250ish.

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 6
I would think M-Stage if you're on a budget, Burson HA160 if you're on a loose budget, and the HA160D if you have no budget. All great amps (and decent dac) in their own respect.

SPL amps are also very good, but are more studio oriented in my opinion, so not too sure about how auditor and phonitor sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back