AKG K702 bass problem.
Jun 11, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #61 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by parhelictriangle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please don't let anyone convince you that you need to spend on cables at this point in your journey. And don't listen to the crap about upgrading to a dedicated CD player. You're using your computer as a source, and that's perfectly fine. Double amping, like you're doing now, isn't going to get you great results (although glad to hear you solved your problem).

You have nice headphones if you like the sound signature. What you need is a good external USB DAC and a headphone amp. The DAC will bypass your soundcard and deliver a nice, clean signal to the amp at the right line level. Maybe look around at amp/DAC combos. Headroom has a few, and there are plenty more out there. By most accounts, the k70X series is pretty power hungry, so it might be best to avoid the really cheap portable solutions. Although feel free to try-- I have no experience with your headphones, but the negative effects of not spending 10 grand on your setup are greatly exaggerated around these parts.

I honestly can't believe how many people are quick to suggest dumping thousands into cables, interconnects and an expensive CD player for someone relatively inexperienced. It's frigging disgusting.

Get a USB (or firewire, if you have it) DAC and an amp. You don't have to break the bank. If you want to tweak things later, nobody will stop you (and most, apparently, will encourage you), but don't drown in snake oil and relatively inconsequential tweaks before you even get started.

Quite right, or just get the ATH-AD900, or the Grado SR-225, or the Denon AH2000, or one of the Sony models and plug them straight into your sound card and enjoy great sounds and gaming with NO extera expeditures.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #62 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite right, or just get the ATH-AD900, or the Grado SR-225, or the Denon AH2000, or one of the Sony models and plug them straight into your sound card and enjoy great sounds and gaming with NO extera expeditures.

Also a totally reasonable suggestion.

I was just assuming he actually likes the K702 sound sig enough to keep them.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #63 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by parhelictriangle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also a totally reasonable suggestion.

I was just assuming he actually likes the K702 sound sig enough to keep them.

I think its great if he wants to get a dac and amp. Please don't get me wrong about that. Its just that he set out to use his sound card for a source/amp and now has the wrong tool for the job. I would also like to point out that some of the headphones I recommended would give you amazing sound quality from a portable DAC/AMP 200-450 bucks as apposed to full sized separates. That is especially nice if you use a laptop, you could take it with you.
smile.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #64 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with K702 bass is very simple: they don't have any.
This is a fundamental design flaw, and neither amping nor burn-in will fix it.

I'd really consider myself the epitome of the anti-basshead, and I really enjoy what bass really is present, as I think it's the perfect amount (for me!).. Something that I can appreciate on a level that is so much deeper because of what it adds in the amounts that it's there, without detracting from my listening because of its over-accentuation. If it's a flaw, maybe they should keep designing them poorly for me and my awful taste.

I'm not defending my purchase. I just want you to know that your trash is my treasure, and I wouldn't want it any other way.
k701smile.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #65 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the problem here, people go around implying the 701 is not bass deficient and newbies buy into it and get put in the ditch. If you like your 701's then that is fine but outright lying to members who are seeking advice is so slimy. This is especially true for people who have listened to other headphones (without all the problems).

Hehehe...you're pathetic in your dramatic frustration. 5,000 posts and you still don't get it. The HD650 are way too COLORED IN THE BASS. And the K701s are not!

k701smile.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #66 of 169
Acix, I have a lowly PX100, which has a significant midbass hump. It is very dark sounding overall. Is this the sennheiser house sound? I enjoy this kind of sound signature, but I prefer the more authentic sonic presentation of the K701 anyday. The K701 is fairly neutral, much more so than my shure e4c IEMs. The only flaws, that the K701 have are a slight leanness of tone and partial omission/recession of the complete harmonics of string(violin) sound. However the ever so slight smaller than life instruments only aids their separation. Burn-in helps too! However, instruments sound even more smaller than life on the PX100; in general speakers seem to do better in this area. Sorry for improper formatting, I am using my phone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #67 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehehe...you're pathetic in your dramatic frustration. 5,000 posts and you still don't get it. The HD650 are way too COLORED IN THE BASS. And the K701s are not!

k701smile.gif

Hold on. That's not what he's arguing. Most noobs headed this way do need that bass. They perceive bass, to some degree as being really integral to having it sound good (to them, right now..at least). Most of what they listen to will probably need it to some degree.

When I first had mine, I liked that they really didn't have alot of bass, and that was tight. But I don't expect everyone to share my aversion to an overpresent bass. This is, IMO, a great part of why they keep getting returned.

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #68 of 169
If one is new to high end audio, one needs to retrain one's ears in order to appreciate what 'correct' sound means. You need to read a vast array of books to understand literature. You need a bit of formal training to interpret classical music. The same applies to headphones.
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #69 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Acix, I have a lowly PX100, which has a significant midbass hump. It is very dark sounding overall. Is this the sennheiser house sound? I enjoy this kind of sound signature, but I prefer the more authentic sonic presentation of the K701 anyday. The K701 is fairly neutral, much more so than my shure e4c IEMs. The only flaws, that the K701 have are a slight leanness of tone and partial omission/recession of the complete harmonics of string(violin) sound. However the ever so slight smaller than life instruments only aids their separation. Burn-in helps too! However, instruments sound even more smaller than life on the PX100; in general speakers seem to do better in this area. Sorry for improper formatting, I am using my phone.
smily_headphones1.gif

The K701/2 offer very advanced presentation. It's much more than stereo, it's 3D, a perfect sphere. As you already know, in some of the studio recordings, the engineer doesn't always have the time to put attention and consider the stereo image details. The first issue that they'll address in the mix will be to find the balance between the instruments. Just then if they have more time, they'll play a little with panning effects. Other engineers that have more experience will go directly to the instruments and will try to open the frequencies and move the sounds all over the spectrum. So, each recording is it's own gemstone, with it's unique features and flaws.You can try the RS1 and you might find it really interesting. Try to compare them to the K701 and you'll find a lot of surprises in both directions.

Regarding the speakers, you can find a lot of similarities in the characteristics as you would with headphones. For example, the Adams monitor speakers and the K701 are very accurate and thin/transparent sounding, yet very open. The Genelec 8000 series (the new ones) really remind me of the Ultrasone models...very punchy bass, clear sounds, harsh highs. So every set up depends on your goal and what you hope to achieve.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #70 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hold on. That's not what he's arguing. Most noobs headed this way do need that bass. They perceive bass, to some degree as being really integral to having it sound good (to them, right now..at least). Most of what they listen to will probably need it to some degree.

When I first had mine, I liked that they really didn't have alot of bass, and that was tight. But I don't expect everyone to share my aversion to an overpresent bass. This is, IMO, a great part of why they keep getting returned.

Well, we're putting the information here and when they make the transition out of the basshead stage, they'll have an idea of what else is available to them.

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #71 of 169
well slowly slowly i will upgrade the cables but that would not be my main concern as my main concern is that i am still waiting on a fellow aussie mate to see if he is able to trade me his DIY amp.

well i do reckon that the interconnects should be of at least of some quality as i do not wish for the interconnects to be the weakest link.well, i reckon for now my sound card would be sufficient but,does any1 here knows a lot about soundcards?because the reason i bought this sound card few months ago was because i am already slowly upgrading my home audio system.so do i really need an external DAC?then this would make my soundcard totally redundant wouldn't it?

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #72 of 169
and yes i love the k702 sound signature,although not fully matured yet,i could see that its going to be great after burning in as the sound is totally awesome,i feel like im in a theater at the front seat,listening to all my favourite tunes.

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #73 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

k701smile.gif

Maybe you need a real headphone amp.
evil_smiley.gif

Headphone Amp Inventory
RME Digi 96/8
NI AK1
Indigo Dj
Lexicon Omega
Audiomedia lll

I dont see any tubes there. Kids these days, they're all on solid state.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back