Maybe you need a real headphone amp.
evil_smiley.gif

Headphone Amp Inventory
RME Digi 96/8
NI AK1
Indigo Dj
Lexicon Omega
Audiomedia lll

I dont see any tubes there. Kids these days, they're all on solid state.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehehe...you're pathetic in your dramatic frustration. 5,000 posts and you still don't get it. The HD650 are way too COLORED IN THE BASS. And the K701s are not!

k701smile.gif

Difference of opinion. The AKG K701 headphones are well designed in both the driver and dampening areas. The Sennheisers are also well designed in both those fields. I have a fellow who designs headphones for Audio Technica and his other hobby is to understand the competition in order to make a better design to add to their own line up (A long time Japanese Friend of mine). The AKG K701 has two baffles while the HD650 has one. AKG's patented varimotion driver coupled to the K701's baffles make for a rather near neutral design with a little too much control (this is somewhat better than Sennheiser's rather loose response) and this basically is what causes the rather low quantity of bass. Mr. Olblueyez is right on the fact bass quantity regardless of burn-in status with the K701 is low, however there is a modification that is completely reversible that will increase low-end punch with a compromise in openness. This mod I prefer since the K701 sounds fuller with richer low and mid-range tones, while still preserving the upper-end frequencies without having the any of the bright or cold harsh sonic tones.

Still not as full as with the HD650, but in all fairness, the AKG K701/2 have a much cleaner representation of sound-stage and dynamics while pure listening enjoyment can be had with the HD650. I like both the K701/2 and the HD650. Both have a different presentation of audio frequencies and I find that if a little attention is paid, the K701/2 can have similar audio qualities as with the Sennheiser HD650. This is only based on my observations.

Disagree or agree it is all up to you all.

Colored bass on the HD650, no. Just a rich and fuller experience.

The AKG K701/2 bass deficient. No either. Just cleaner with no particular frequency emphasis.

Both headphones need to have the user make some changes to suit his or her sound preference. Change the cable with the Sennheiser, and the sound will be a bit better. The AKG needs to have a different dampener (the foam ring covering the driver) in order for some of the low-end frequencies to come out a bit giving a little bit more a fuller range.

Again this is based on my experiences

Take care everybody.
L3000.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #77 of 169
Quote:

The K701/2 offer very advanced presentation. It's much more than stereo, it's 3D, a perfect sphere.

That also describes the imaging of AD700s and AD900s, which have the added advantages of not requiring an amp and having better bass (though still not particularly powerful bass.)

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #78 of 169
The AKG K701 has two baffles while the HD650 has one. AKG's patented varimotion driver coupled to the K701's baffles make for a rather near neutral design with a little too much control (this is somewhat better than Sennheiser's rather loose response) and this basically is what causes the rather low quantity of bass

Apologies for not quoting your entire post, but this is the section I find most interesting, as I think it may go a long way to explaining the long burn-in time for the high-end AKGs. Personally, I dont have any problems with the bass response on my 601s, but there is an initial harshness to these cans which I could live without. Its particularly noticeable with percussion, and I am very much looking forward to things improving over the next 50 or so hours - if not, I'm afraid one more pair of AKGs may need to find a new home.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #79 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with K702 bass is very simple: they don't have any.
This is a fundamental design flaw, and neither amping nor burn-in will fix it.

I'm always baffled by this kind of statements about K701/2, because when I went from SR225 to K701 I noticed an INCREASE in the amount of bass. Am I to assume that SR225 are even worse in the bass area? I've never heard anything like that.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #80 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hadakan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm always baffled by this kind of statements about K701/2, because when I went from SR225 to K701 I noticed an INCREASE in the amount of bass. Am I to assume that SR225 are even worse in the bass area? I've never heard anything like that.

Wow! I will make a point of not trying the SR225s! It is really hard for me to imagine phones with even less bass than K701s!
eek.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #81 of 169
i reckon the bass is pretty ample,not overdose of bass.its at a very comfortable level to me.really like it =)

i never get to try a grados,don't think i get to try it anywhere nearby melbourne.=(

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #82 of 169
Quote:

Wow! I will make a point of not trying the SR225s! It is really hard for me to imagine phones with even less bass than K701s!
eek.gif

Don't prevent yourself from trying Grados because of one person's statement. In my opinion both my Grados have more bass quantity and warmth than the 701. Of course this is highly pad-dependent. Bowls are the brightest, then comes comfies, and lastly flats add a lot of bass.

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #83 of 169
It must have something to do with the paint fumes coming off your paintings that requires your hps to have sub woofer bass. The lightheaded feeling is loosing your bass sensing ability. Hps aren't made for that. You have been conditioned by the industry to like over accentuated bass. Natural instrumentation does not sound like the bass we get pummeled with in our environment and gives those a false sense of realism to be beat with massive impact. If that is your goal, you should really stay with speakers. Few hps have that kind of bass and those that do will sound recessed and hollow in the mids which is where most of the music lives.

When most of the high end rigs are heard from novices, they say it sounds dry and with little bass. That's the reality of music. If you want banging bass, stay with the lower end models and save your money for hearing damage.

BTW intoart, what have you found that gives you the most satisfaction in hp listening? Just curious what a basshead finds real for them. I like the 580 and 600 but the 650 bass is too much for me unless driven with a balanced amp or a SE with a lot of power to control the bloom.

IMO!

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #84 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't prevent yourself from trying Grados because of one person's statement. In my opinion both my Grados have more bass quantity and warmth than the 701. Of course this is highly pad-dependent. Bowls are the brightest, then comes comfies, and lastly flats add a lot of bass.

I agree with you about the bass quantity of the Grados being more than the 701. But flats will destroy any soundstage. Always a tradeoff. Taped bowls are a good compromise.

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #85 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BTW intoart, what have you found that gives you the most satisfaction in hp listening? Just curious what a basshead finds real for them.

By far the best phones I have ever heard (and the best I ever expect to hear) are the AD900s. What I love about them, however, is the overall sound more than the bass in particular. Bass is incredibly fast, tight, detailed, and extended, but it is not powerful or "visceral".
I will no doubt occasionally miss the very physical bass of my DT770s, but I cannot go back to them because the AD900s are so much better in every other respect (and simply cannot be outperformed in terms of clarity and detail.)

By the way, I have never been a "basshead", and have clearly stated that fact on several occasions.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #86 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hadakan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It happened to me with the RS-1. but, I still love the RS-1 bass...
smile.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #87 of 169
Quote:

By far the best phones I have ever heard (and the best I ever expect to hear) are the AD900s. What I love about them, however, is the overall sound more than the bass in particular. Bass is incredibly fast, tight, detailed, and extended, but it is not powerful or "visceral".
I will no doubt occasionally miss the very physical bass of my DT770s, but I cannot go back to them because the AD900s are so much better in every other respect (and simply cannot be outperformed in terms of clarity and detail.)

By the way, I have never been a "basshead", and have clearly stated that fact on several occasions.

lol, the inconvenience true. A few months with AD900s, and you would start to appreciate the K-7XX.
k701smile.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #88 of 169
Quote:

lol, the inconvenience true. A few months with AD900s, and you would start to appreciate the K-7XX.
k701smile.gif

Not possible. I owned K701s for a while, and therefore I know with 100% certainty that AD900s are better in every way (and much better in some ways.)

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #89 of 169
Quote:

Not possible. I owned K701s for a while, and therefore I know with 100% certainty that AD900s are better in every way (and much better in some ways.)

Including resolution of detail? o.O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back