AKG K702 bass problem.
Jun 10, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #18 of 169
hmm problem is probably i turned on the volume to max as the volume isnt loud enough.guess thats probably whats causing the distortion.no worries guys i managed to loan a desktop amp from the nearby audio visual store,a rega ear headphone amplifier.i'll see how it goes tomorrow.thanks every1 for your time.

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #19 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like your bass is in distortion. Please check your PC on board sound card, see if the bass is boost or EQ...

i turned off the EQ's and bass booster.i think the problem would be the gain isnt enough.so the nice audio visual owner near my place offers me to loan his rega desktop amp for a try out.

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #20 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you need an REAL headphone amplifier for them to shine, not a toy
Proper amped K701/702 have wonderfull bass, from all my past experiences AKG's (701/702) are most power hungry phones i tried, and i tried a lot.
Also do not forget about burn-in (200 hours at least for these 'phones)

alright bro!thanks for your info,desktop amps!glad to hear that.i am into a wide variety of songs..thats why its hard to just settle on one type of headphones.from classics to instrumentals to jazz to rock.ohh my...

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #21 of 169
I just checked the input for that amp (RCA). So from what I'm reading, you're going to use the sound card as the source, and then amp it to the K701?

Bad decision, because the sound card is by far the weakest link, and you're just amplifying it and all its flaws in the end. The amp may be able to control its horrible properties to a certain extent, but in the end it's still going to sound like crap.

Double amping doesn't help either IMO.

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #23 of 169
Dude, do not give up on the K702. It is a superb headphone. Once I reach home, I will solve all your issues with the akg. I had my post ready and opera mini crashed on my phone. Once i get my hands on a pc, i will help you out. Cheers, bhanja.

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #24 of 169
so what should i do?well to be honest this auzentech card is actually a pretty good card already,is it still not enough?well yea im just afraid that getting the amp would just amplify its flaws.but im going to loan an amp from the audio visual store nearby and see if it helps.besides its just loaning anyways the owner is nice enough to loan it to me for free ^^

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #25 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, do not give up on the K702. It is a superb headphone. Once I reach home, I will solve all your issues with the akg. I had my post ready and opera mini crashed on my phone. Once i get my hands on a pc, i will help you out. Cheers, bhanja.

alright!i'll wait for you bhanja.thanks for your time
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #26 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just checked the input for that amp (RCA). So from what I'm reading, you're going to use the sound card as the source, and then amp it to the K701?

Bad decision, because the sound card is by far the weakest link, and you're just amplifying it and all its flaws in the end. The amp may be able to control its horrible properties to a certain extent, but in the end it's still going to sound like crap.

Double amping doesn't help either IMO.

hmm wouldn't a desktop amp help?well what the audio visual guy from nearby mentioned that my problem would most probably be that the sound card doesnt provide enough gain.i'll try it out tomorrow and let you guys know alright?thanks mr mule for your time.i really appreciate it.i hope i didnt made a wrong choice:S

and yea the source would be my soundcard then amp it then to my headphones.

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #27 of 169
By the way, it will take about 500 hours to burn in. I think the bass in my pair appeared only after 2-3 weeks into burn in. To speed this up, you could run it 24/7, just warp it up in towel or blanket.

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #28 of 169
NEW DISCOVERY!
i noticed that the bass cracks bc i turn the volume to the max,bc im lacking gain from the soundcard.once i soften it it lacks bass but its there but not distorted.just not tat solid yet.i will get back to everyone after i get the loaned amp tomorrow.

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #29 of 169
Hello!
Ok… Sorry I kept you waiting, but I was a bit busy. But a promise is a promise. It’s 1:31 AM now and I will put my opinion across in a concise manner.

Your problem: Lack of bass and distortion of bass notes:

1.Your soundcard might be a good one, but it obviously doesn’t have the juice to drive a high end can. Bass on my K701 is very tight, deep and fast with my Headroom Ultra Micro @ High Gain. They are not bass shy, at least with classical, and they do not add bass or tip up the lower mid-bass to create an illusion of good bass.

2.Regarding the distortion: It’s probably the recording AND/OR a weak soundcard struggling to drive a hungry headphone, thereby feeding its maximum output signal. You will be surprised with the number of mastering flaws that creep into recorded music. The K702 is very transparent and reveals minute clipping/distortion in the source. So there is a chance, that your recording isn’t absolutely clean in the first place.

3.Amplifier with soundcard: NOOOOO! You will CRY IF YOU GO FOR THIS OPTION. Your X-FI might be a good soundcard, but a headphone amplifier asks for a clean LINE LEVEL SIGNAL, something a lot of soundcards and MP3 players CANNOT PROVIDE, ESPECIALLY FROM THE HEADPHONE JACK. I paired my iPod’s headphone out with my Ultra Micro and literally wept over the results. And on paper, the iPod is a good MP3 player. Good when it is driving IEMs, but not when supplying a clean LINE LEVEL signal, especially out of the headphone jack. So you need a good Hi-fi CD player; my Cambridge AZUR 640C V2 provides great results.

4.The K702 needs burn-in to shine, check out my other posts for a detailed post burn-in review.

5.The K701/K702 are terrific headphones for classical/jazz. If you prefer hard rock or a funky bass boosted sound, try other options.

6.The stock cable is known to limit the abilities of the K702, get the ALO audio cable, and you will have a warmer and more musical sound.

7.Heed CANAMP/Dark-voice tubes/WOO Audio tubes WA6/Headroom Ultra Micro are known to be musical with the AKG.

Some people may think that I do not know what good bass means… however I have the SHURE E4C, which with the right tip has very taut bass. And my K701 wins over the E4C easily, when quality of bass is taken into account.

Cheers!
Bhanja.

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #30 of 169
Ever thought of trying the K601s? I have noticed that compared to the K70x, they have a little more bass impact plus are much easier to power than the 70x´s. I dont mean volume wise, either, I mean as far as sound quality goes. It doesnt change much from a better amp from what Ive experienced at canjam. This is sacrilege, but I think it sounds 99% as good straight out of my iPod with FLACs when directly compared to a lot of the amps I have listened to them on with billion dollar CD players and thousand dollar interconnects. The K701/K702 however, changes drastically from amp to amp and would easily merit any of the afromentioned equipment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back