AKG K702 bass problem.
Jun 10, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #33 of 169
Yes, you do need a lot of burn-in time, but amp is a REALLY big problem... I have a little Heed Canamp that just solve the problem. I have K701, but it is practically the same, this amp is not that expensive, but it does tighten the bass up.

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #34 of 169
olblueyez is right - if you dislike the nature of their sound signature you're best off moving on now while you can still return them. K240's have more bass, and of course most Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic offerings have a bunch as well.

I like bass, and a $400 solid state amp (M^3) still didn't make the k701 more enjoyable in that region than an hd25 direct out of an iphone, quantity wise.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #35 of 169
Bass quantity issues you should move along. It keeps the trolls happy and your soul will be saved. Don't mingle with us 701 pagans. We have inferior hearing and want to drag you down. Listen to the Sennheiser angels and save your self.
deadhorse.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #36 of 169
AKGs are sensitive but very hard to drive properly. I'm going to give a pair a listen in a few days with a headamp gilmore lite. The amount of bass is always a matter of contention. Properly driven, people either love the bass or hate it. If you can try them even temporarily properly driven, you can then decide whether to return them or keep them.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #37 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
olblueyez is right - if you dislike the nature of their sound signature you're best off moving on now while you can still return them. K240's have more bass, and of course most Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic offerings have a bunch as well.

This. If it's bass you're after..it really doesn't get a whole lot better without a lot of time and money. Get out and return them. From just the phones themselves, burn in affects the bass the least, IMO.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #38 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This. If it's bass you're after..it really doesn't get a whole lot better without a lot of time and money. Get out and return them. From just the phones themselves, burn in affects the bass the least, IMO.

He is correct, if anything comes from burn in it will be a slight taming of the highs, not additional bass. That is purely wishful thinking.

I just wanted to add that ( I think I speak for some of the others but for myself anyway) the reason I/we are so adamant about exchanging the headphone is because we all realize just how much better another model could sound (for your purposes) and no matter what your tastes are, I and I think everyone else wants to to have a super good experience with your headphones.
wink_face.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #39 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass quantity issues you should move along. It keeps the trolls happy and your soul will be saved. Don't mingle with us 701 pagans. We have inferior hearing and want to drag you down. Listen to the Sennheiser angels and save your self.
deadhorse.gif

ROTFLMAO

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #40 of 169
The 701/702 are not bass light. They have plenty of bass. You just need the right amplifier. They are very power hungry. I have the 702s hooked up to an Audio GD C-2C amp and the sound is absolute bliss!

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #41 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by dynamics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 701/702 are not bass light. They have plenty of bass. You just need the right amplifier. They are very power hungry. I have the 702s hooked up to an Audio GD C-2C amp and the sound is absolute bliss!

See here is the thing, the above statement was made by someone who thinks Cyndi Laupur's voice should have more impact than a kick drum. As far as being true to real life? The 701/2? No way, not even close.

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #44 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And if the Queen had balls she would be King.
evil_smiley.gif

I read many of this person's forum postings. Ranging from some of the stuff I have posted in the past till now. I use either the C&C XO+ or the Little Dot MKI+ to drive the AKG K701 that I still own since October of 2008. It is a great reference class headphone like with the Sennheiser HD650. The benchmark has been set a little higher with the latest offering from the company and now I something to look forward to in the headphone audiophile world. I am still considered to have an unbiased ear. Returning those headphones is purely based on feelings rather truth.

Listening to one of my CDs "Dream of an Opera" as reference since I purchased this disc while actually listening to the Chinese Orchestra perform about three years ago. I can say that after reaching the settling phase with these headphones (now 3000+ hours), the higher frequencies are much more rounded (silkened), mid-range is much smoother than when new, and the bass tones are much fuller and deeper. However I have changed the stock foam rings with a mod that uses a synthetic chamois like drying cloth cut in a similar fashion with 1/4 cut out to maintain the level of openness while enriching some of the tones.

Now the AKG K701 is much more comfortable for long listening periods than when using the stock foam rings. Mr. Olblueyez Negative vibe states that a burn-in won't help this headphone to the degree of his liking, however I think that everybody has his or her own preference of what kind of listening experience they are seeking (words are jumbled - I am grading student's finals right now). I have a rather sizable collection of headphones ranging from my first expensive Sennheiser purchase of the Orpheus BE/HE90 tube amplified electro-static headphones to the most recent purchase of HD800. I have a total of eight headphones and six amps (excluding the BE90 for the HE90 setup - or is the other way around, can't remember) complementing the range. I like each and every one of these headphones and all are staying in my collection.

To the original member of this thread:
Give it some time. Purchase a headphone amp to compliment your setup and see if anything changes. Take your time. Listen and understand. Balance between listening preferences and what are you willing to spend. I personally don't buy headphones based on what other people say. I read forums and reviews carefully, but I also let my ears do the judging.
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

Mr. Negative against the AKG K701 is right to a limit degree about the headphones, however there in lies a problem with what is being said. When brand new, the K701 was not a very good headphone, however I understood that with a long burn-in period, the drives will begin to settle. Using the Sennheiser Orpheus and the HD280-professional as the basis for my argument, when I first purchased my new Orpheus (yes I purchased the first Orpheus brand spanking new and the second one used through Audiogon), the amplifier began to sound its best around 300-hours while the headphone reached its settling point around maybe 2000-hours after the amp's initial break-in phase. When new, The Sennheiser BE/HE90 was harsh to the point of unbearable (purchased new in 1997 through Katli Audio), so I let the amp and headphones go through a long burn-phase (using Telarc's 1985 release of the 1812-Overture conducted by Erich Kunzel).
dt880smile.png

To make the long story short, let your ears decide what is best. I would say the cheapest two part of the purchasing phase (less than $250.00 USD) is get an amplifier and a decent interconnect (I use Moon Audio - interconnects) just to bring out the potential that the AKG K701 is capable of. Then read the forum postings about the bass problem with the K701. After the mod that I have posted, my K701 phones are very much close to what my BE/HE90 sound like. Deep tones, silky mid-range, and into the roll of smooth upper frequencies. Surprisingly to my ears, sounds very good with an overall excellent presentation of the soundstage. No additional emphasis in any one particular frequency. This is just my observation. Got to get back to work.

Hope this helps for those looking for an unbiased ear.

Thanks and everybody take care. Even you Mr. Negative Vibe (no-offense I hope - Be Happy)
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back