AKG K702 (701 also?) headband elastic....
Mar 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Jamesy1969

100+ Head-Fier
I've just today received a pair of used K702's.

Very happy with them, I must say (bass-light, I am not finding them, surprisingly, compared to the reviews on here: maybe a bit high-happy, but not bass-shy).

However, they are used. They were cheap (ish), and appear to be in very, very good condition, except the "elastic" in the self-adjusting headband is obviously stretched as it's doing; well, basically, feck-all. I'm finding them slipping down my head a little and obviously want to remedy this.

There are apparently ways to do so - a quick Google search has pointed me to many comments that it's possible, but no specifics. Trust me, if I could find it, I wouldn't be asking!

Any help, comments, or points to an appropriate post would be much appreciated!

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 17
Bump. Anyone? :frowning2:

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 17
I have a HUGE head and mine are kind of stretched out too.  If my head ever starts shrinking my 701s are in trouble.
You'd think as big as harmon intl is, they'd make AKG replacement parts cheaper and more readily available.

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
I read somewhere on here that the hair-ties a lot of girls use work well as replacements for the original part.

Yes, I've read this too, but with no indication as to how it's done?
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #7 of 17
Why dont you ask local AKG? Maybe they can send you that part to replace or simply ask them how much it will cost if you send to them.

Ones, I replaced that part in K340 with hair-ties and while it was better, but still not ideal, so, original parts are always better, I think.

Quote:

Yes, I've read this too, but with no indication as to how it's done?
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
Why dont you ask local AKG? Maybe they can send you that part to replace or simply ask them how much it will cost if you send to them.

Ones, I replaced that part in K340 with hair-ties and while it was better, but still not ideal, so, original parts are always better, I think.

How did you replace it, though, Blackmore? Does it involve dismantling the 'phones?

I may just contact AKG and ask...

P.S. When are you going to make an album as good as "Rising" again?
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #9 of 17
Ha-ha, yeah, my thoughts are the same, but I guess it will never happened.

Here you can see how I did, but I dont think you will be getting much help with it, differ headphones.

Quote:

How did you replace it, though, Blackmore? Does it involve dismantling the 'phones?

I may just contact AKG and ask...

P.S. When are you going to make an album as good as "Rising" again?
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #10 of 17
OK, I think I may have finally found the answer - the AKG site has a deeply-hidden pdf with K601/K701 service info, including a diagram of the mounted "elastic hoop".

I'll have a go replacing it as soon as I get a chance!

Here, for anyone else who's looking for this :-

http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/psfile/datei/58/k601_k701439d5815555d1.pdf

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #11 of 17
Replacing the bands isn't hard, but you have to be careful in order to not break any of the plastic parts. You also have to completely disassemble the headphone in order to get them out without cutting them. Pretty poor design choice, but whatever. The band is glued into the upper plastic part so be prepared to exert a bit of force.

You could probably replace them with any kind of bigger diameter rubber washer or some hairbands.

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #12 of 17
Yeah, I've realised that these aren't the easiest of 'phones to dismantle.

I've been quoted £35.00 by the "official" repair bods, which seems pretty steep, but cheaper than breaking them!

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #13 of 17
There really isn't much to break. The grills are pretty hard to get off but with the right tool (scissors or a paper clip) it's not too much trouble. Even if you break the grills, they're purely aesthetic. The second breakable part is the outer cover, the plastic part that the grills fit into. They have to be pried up from the headphone assembly. They aren't fragile - but you do have to be careful.

I wouldn't pay that much for replacing two simple elastic bands. It really isn't that hard to fix them. There are plenty of videos about opening the headphones up and the diagram you mentioned tells you all you need to know.

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #15 of 17
I‘m having the same issue with my Q701 headphones and I decided to replace the elastics. I‘m pretty sure it‘s the same procedure as in the K701/702 so I decided to add my question to this thread rather than opening a new one. I decided to „properly“ replace them, rather than doing the quick fix (as explained here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/akg-k701-q701-k702-k712-headband-elastic-quick-fix.796604/), although by now I‘m questioning if that was a good idea...

I found the service manual provided by AKG (http://headphonesindex.web.fc2.com/servicemanuals/akg/Q701.pdf) and ordered the elastics (pos. 6). Please have a look at the explosion chart in the manual so that you know which parts I will be talking about below.

In the manual they say that in order to replace the elastics, you need to take out parts 3 and 7, which is a bit of a fuss but I managed to do it. Now I have separated parts 4 and 5 from the rest of the headband, but in order to install the new elastic, I would need to also dismantle these two parts. Unfortunately there is no info on this last step anywhere and I have no clue how to separate these parts without destroying the plastic. They are kind of intertwined or even glued (which would really suck...!). I contacted AKG but haven‘t received any answer yet.

If anyone has successfully dismantled parts 4 & 5 I would appreciate your help a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back