AKG K701s too bright! How do I warm it up?
Jan 29, 2009 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

rvikul

Head-Fier
I recently purchased a pair of the AKG K701s. After 300+ hours of burn-in they sound fantastic. My only problem is that they are too bright when I listen to rock. To be specific, bands like audioslave, tool, modest mouse all sound too bright and cause fatigue.

Any suggestions on how I can resolve this? I listen to rock a lot which makes this a real problem for me.
triportsad.gif

I would really appreciate any feedback.

I am using a cheap Radioshack mini-to-mini interconnect between the amp and DAP right now. Cardas 6" is on its way. Could that be the problem?

Thanks!!

Jan 29, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 80
sounds like you just don't like them. I bought akg 702's and found it to be lacking bass.. which led me to feel like it was too bright. I returned it within 3 days of receiving it.

Jan 29, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 80
Methinks you've made a grave mistake, purchasing the K701 and trying to play rock through them. That's the last thing they were made for.

Jan 29, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Methinks you've made a grave mistake, purchasing the K701 and trying to play rock through them. That's the last thing they were made for.

I think they sound excellent for rock.
What OP needs is a K601 if my earlier suggestions don't work too well.

Jan 29, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 80
The earpads need o lot of break-in, too. When they'll finally have gotten softer, the drivers will be closer to the ears, which makes lows and mids louder, treble barely so. You can simulate this effect by pressing the earpieces against your head during listening. I doesn't hurt to do that from time to time to accelerate the process.

That said, the K 701 may be a tad bright nonetheless, but after complete break-/wear-in probably won't sound fatiguing anymore. Otherwise it wouldn't be my reference headphone until the arrival of the HD 800.

Jan 29, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 80
Just sell it, and buy a warmer can. You'll just waste lots of time colouring your signal chain, and come to the expensive conclusion that you need another can.

Jan 29, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recable it or tilt the headband back

So right now the headband is right on top of my head. The top portion of the headband is parallel to the ground (i know its curved but i dont know how else to better describe this).

Are you suggesting that i push the headband back so its at an angle to the ground? In other words, they should be closer to the back of my neck thus tilting the headphones?

Thanks!

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by rvikul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So right now the headband is right on top of my head. The top portion of the headband is parallel to the ground (i know its curved but i dont know how else to better describe this).

Are you suggesting that i push the headband back so its at an angle to the ground? In other words, they should be closer to the back of my neck thus tilting the headphones?

Thanks!

I simply think they sound a lot better if you tilt the headband back at an angle. I made a thread about this.

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #11 of 80
Tilting the headband won't fix a brightness problem. I agree that signal chain (perhaps a tube amp?) is probably the solution if the K701 is to be your only can; however if you can swing it get something like an HFI780 or a Beyer 'phone to listen to your favorite rock, and just switch out the phones when you need to.

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #12 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by wfranklin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tilting the headband won't fix a brightness problem. I agree that signal chain (perhaps a tube amp?) is probably the solution if the K701 is to be your only can; however if you can swing it get something like an HFI780 or a Beyer 'phone to listen to your favorite rock, and just switch out the phones when you need to.

Really? My K702 sounded less bright when I tilted it back.

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #14 of 80
sounds like a problem with your source, some components are a bit harsh in the higher frequency range and and the K701 really does not mate well with that. Transparency is key with the K701, I theorize. With my equipment I don't find the K701's to be bright at all, but I had at one point a DAC hooked up to it that made the K701 highs a bit annoying.

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #15 of 80
Don't recable, look for grado.

Send them to me for free
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back