AKG K701s too bright! How do I warm it up?
Jan 29, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #16 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found that the K702 is actually brighter than the K701.

Come on. They are the same apart from color.
frown.gif

Were they both burned in properly?

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #17 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't recable, look for grado.

Send them to me for free
biggrin.gif

Dude, the K701 and Grado both can reach ear-splitting treble levels.

Also, I still stand by my comment. No AKG is meant to play rock, and there are obviously better suited 'phones out there that can emphasize rock's strong points and get you bouncing along.

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #18 of 80
The k701s are simply flawed in that way. I love them, but you have to be a little picky as to what kind of music you listen to through them. That is why I am buying an RS-1 to complement them. I love the 701s for classical, post rock, electronic, and a lot of indie stuff that could be considered rock. The main failing for me is that straight up guitar driven, 4 man band rock music just isn't in the 701s wheelhouse. You might just want to get some hd600s if you are looking for a good all rounder. That or buy a second can to use when the 701s aren't what is needed.

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #19 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't recable, look for grado.

Send them to me for free
biggrin.gif

Nice try
beyersmile.png
No i am not getting rid of them that easy. The mids sound incredible on these and I do listen to genres other than rock. Classical and female vocals are just fantastic on the K701s. Plus I have invested a lot of time burning these in. Perhaps I am getting emotionally attached
wink.gif

Also I have noticed its recording dependent. For example, the Led Zep 4-CD box set tracks sound great (the recording itself is warmer). I am going to keep these cans. Just need to make them sound a tad warmer with tweaks.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #20 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on. They are the same apart from color.
frown.gif

Were they both burned in properly?

I don't believe in burn in personally though. The K701 has at least 100 hours on it and the K702 has at least 50 hours. The K701 fits tighter on my head than the K702 which probably has something to do with it.

EDIT: I just A/B'd them like 10 minutes ago and I still believe that the K702 is brighter.

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #21 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by rvikul
AKG K701s too bright! How do I warm it up?

1729_lg.jpg

Sorry, just funnin', I'll let others give the serious advice.

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #22 of 80
Source, interconnects, amp, headphone cable. The K701 can be pretty finicky. When I owned them, I preferred the K701 with a tube or hybrid amp, too. They were clear, but never harshly bright for me. Some people, like me, like unharsh "bright."

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #23 of 80
I agree with pataburd's post above me. I do not use a tube amp for mine, but I have heard them out of a good tube amp. The K702s warm up a lot with tubes.

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #24 of 80
Skip the recable. You'd be able to buy a second pair of headphones for what you'd pay.

Tubes can take the edge off the highs, but it depends on the amp. Some of the the transformer coupled ones roll off in the highs. You might want to look there.

A graphic equalizer would work, too. You could attenuate the highs exactly to suit your ear without spending hundreds to find out if silver sounds thin and brittle, copper is warmer, etc. You could just turn down what you dislike. If you want to save a few bucks, you could simply build a low pass filter to knock out the highest frequencies.

Though I think what would make you happiest would be a pair of Sennheisers.

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #25 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just sell it, and buy a warmer can. You'll just waste lots of time colouring your signal chain, and come to the expensive conclusion that you need another can.

amen.

edit: and then when you have a can that doesn't make electric guitars cut your ears in half, you'll have all these accessories that were dulling down the treble trying to fix the K701, and you'll have no more use for them, and you'll have to replace the whole shabbang.

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #26 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just sell it, and buy a warmer can. You'll just waste lots of time colouring your signal chain, and come to the expensive conclusion that you need another can.

+1. Do you really want a pair of phones you need to spend hundreds of dollars and hours more on to appreciate when you could get one that sounded good to you out of the box?

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #27 of 80
The K701's are a bit chalky-sounding, period. Changing the cable or other pieces of your equipment will not change this.

The best thing to do would be to get a real-time parametric equalizer and equalize the high-frequency response to flat using pink noise.

Jan 30, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #28 of 80
I'll add my voice to looking at the source as well.

I found they sounded a bit harsh in the upper treble using an Auzentech Prelude for the source.

Mated with an Opus DAC, the harshness is gone. Going back in my memory I didn't remeber any harshness using a AV710 as a source either.

In both cases running through a DV336 Tube Amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back