AKG K701 vs K702 (or 701 Made in Austria vs 702 Made in China)
May 12, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #16 of 22
Thanks for all the info! And nice taste in Opeth :wink:

Yeah, I guess there may be better headphones for metal, but I'm really interested in getting the midfi trilogy of headphones, and the K701/702 is the cheapest way to start with. :wink:

They are still cool to have. I was just listening to them. In my experience they have a unique way of presenting soundstage. They are still special.

May 12, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #19 of 22
I purchased the k701 when it came out, also purchased another as backup in 2009. I would only like to give a few pointers about the k701. I did hear the k702 for a passing moment while visiting Japan of all places and it did have more bass.

The k701 while iconic is a very different and difficult headphone to get to sound right. Meaning it takes a boatload of power before it starts to get close to sounding right. In all it’s qwerkyness I really liked it and spent a year with it as my sole headphone. It’s bright has diminished bass and a wildcard treble spike in an area making it not really neutral or transparent. It’s popular because it does sound pretty nice for the money, especially if you already have some giant headphone amp laying around waiting for the challenge.

I really loved the AKG k701 with Opeth. Though most of the time even driving it optimally with the Woo Audio 5LE is was still bass shy. Acoustic guitar and vocals were amazing as well as Dead Can Dance was simply an event.

I’m just not sure either the k701 or k702 will be the best for Metal? Much of the time though headphones can be a stepping stone to future ideas about sound signature. Meaning it’s maybe true that everyone here has used new headphones to learn from. What they learn about is really themselves and what they would eventually like or love.

My top favorite IEM is very much tuned to sound like the k701, though more bass. In fact after reading the way the Noble Encore was described in reviews, I could relate to how the detail would relate with my Metal listening needs.....especially due to a bright midcentric vibe and added treble spike personality.

If you could I would suggest geting a demo of some style before a purchase of the k701 or k702.
When I had the K701 was long time ago when I first got into full-sized audiophile headphones. I favored HD650 back then among the trio of DT880 (600 ohm), K701, and HD650. My setup sucked back then, but now that I have good audio chain. Perhaps I should retry the K701? I'm curious if it was the power issue. I know the pad-cup interior is huge, and I know that effects perception of bass, reducing quantity perceived. I really disliked K712, and have been reluctant to give K701 another try due to not liking K712. AKG doesn't do balanced cabling?

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #20 of 22
Well

I've owned the Austria 701's, the Austria 702's, both models made in China,
and all more than once. Plus the Q701's and K712's.

With all of the international-related discussion here - I note that today, AKG is owned by Samsung,
the well known S. Korean company. AKG's former facility in Vienna, Austria,
was demolished in 2017. And, FWIW, AKG's American headquarters are now in California.

The set of K701's I bought most recently, about 2 months ago, indicate that they are made
in China. (Bought NIB from an auth. dealer.) In many ways they look and feel to be much
better quality than any other K701's I've had.

I bought them because I missed their huge sound stage, and I happened to see an ad
online with a great low price.

Also, I think you (OP) have pretty much sussed out the variables between the 701 & 702
as they are available today.
Personally, I think the 701's are a bit tighter, with a more cogent and solid soundstage,
the top is not overly zippy, and the bass is really nice for most types of music.

It comes down to picking and choosing and making some small compromises,
as usual when buying something - a car, a table, a house.

May 12, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #21 of 22
Well

I've owned the Austria 701's, the Austria 702's, both models made in China,
and all more than once. Plus the Q701's and K712's.

With all of the international-related discussion here - I note that today, AKG is owned by Samsung,
the well known S. Korean company. AKG's former facility in Vienna, Austria,
was demolished in 2017. And, FWIW, AKG's American headquarters are now in California.

The set of K701's I bought most recently, about 2 months ago, indicate that they are made
in China. (Bought NIB from an auth. dealer.) In many ways they look and feel to be much
better quality than any other K701's I've had.

I bought them because I missed their huge sound stage, and I happened to see an ad
online with a great low price.

Also, I think you (OP) have pretty much sussed out the variables between the 701 & 702
as they are available today.
Personally, I think the 701's are a bit tighter, with a more cogent and solid soundstage,
the top is not overly zippy, and the bass is really nice for most types of music.

It comes down to picking and choosing and making some small compromises,
as usual when buying something - a car, a table, a house.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it seems, as I read a bit more, that all the AKG's 701/2 are now made in China. Not a single problem with that, I was just worried if the Austria ones had better built, etc..

But I'm still undecided between these 2, and my problem, I can't try them...

Like I asked before, and since you have experience with both, would you mind spend some time give me some insights regarding:

For those who know both, I have jus a few simple questions:

- AKG on the website clearly says the 702 has replaceable earpads, but no information about this on the 701. Are the earpads on 701 also easily replaceable, just like the 702 ones (turn them around to detach) or are a little more tricky to replace?

- are the earpads on the 701 and 702 made of memory foam (just like the 712)?

- the further I read about the 701 vs 702 the more I get confused about the sound... I've read a few post that say that the sound of the 701 vs 702 is EXACTLY the same... On the other hand, I also read that the 702 has a little more bass and the graphs on rtings show that... On rting it also says that most people won't notice a difference between sound, despite the graphs. So, in your opinion, would you say that the 702 has a little more bass, or choosing between the two models is just a matter of color taste and having a detachable cable or not?

- does the 701 and the 702 respond well to EQ (using equalizer apo + peace), like boosting the bass in case I’m in that mood?

Thanks in advance!

May 12, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #22 of 22
When I had the K701 was long time ago when I first got into full-sized audiophile headphones. I favored HD650 back then among the trio of DT880 (600 ohm), K701, and HD650. My setup sucked back then, but now that I have good audio chain. Perhaps I should retry the K701? I'm curious if it was the power issue. I know the pad-cup interior is huge, and I know that effects perception of bass, reducing quantity perceived. I really disliked K712, and have been reluctant to give K701 another try due to not liking K712. AKG doesn't do balanced cabling?

I still have two Austria built ones so I know I’m not experiencing bad quality control or something. But even my Schiit Asgard One has total trouble driving them. The only thing that has driven them correct is the over the top powerful Woo Audio 5LE in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back