AKG K701 vs K702 (or 701 Made in Austria vs 702 Made in China)
May 4, 2020 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

armdias

Head-Fier
I'm very new to Headphones and I'm planning to buy the "Holy Trinity of Mid-Fi" Headphones for my collection (whatever this term is... but you know, the AKG K701/702, the Sennheiser HD600/650 and the Beyer Dynamic DT880).

I'm planning to start with the AKG K701/702. I'm still undecided what would be right for me, as I listen a lot of Metal and Rock, and the slight less bass of the K701 worries me a bit (although from the FR graphs they seem very similar). Also, the 702 has detachable cable which I prefer, but the 701 is really "the classic" and I don't dislike the white. Since I can't hear one before buying, this is confusing to me. Anyway, have to make decisions, decisions...

Like this wasn't enough, another factor entered the equation: as I read somewhere, ALL the current production 701's are still being made in Austria and while the first 702's where made in Austria, the current production of ALL 702's are now made in China (I don't know if this is really true).

Now, I don't have anything against China, let's make it clear, but I guess we all know that China does not have a high standard in terms of quality control and/or materials (based on my experience with guitars, for instance).

So:
- Is this something that I should worry about, 701 (Austria) vs 702 (China)?
- Do you notice that the 701 compared to the 702 has better materials, better built (little details that make the difference), more durable, better quality control (so I have a greater chance of getting "a lemon" if I choose the Chinese 702), etc.?
- Or are they both built to high standards and I should not worry about this?
- Anyone who has/had both that an speak from experience?

I hope you understand my worries (again, this is nothing against China!), this is my first a little more expensive purchase and I don't want to buy something that I regret latter.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 22
A lot of stuff you buy is made in China, why so picky about the headphones?
I would assume AKG would take advantage of the lower products costs, that China can offer, on as many models of (AKG) headphone as possible. At least that is what I would do, if I ran AKG.
What are the prices for the 701 and 702.

May 4, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 22
A lot of stuff you buy is made in China, why so picky about the headphones?
I would assume AKG would take advantage of the lower products costs, that China can offer, on as many models of (AKG) headphone as possible. At least that is what I would do, if I ran AKG.
What are the prices for the 701 and 702.

Yes, I know, my smartphone is made in China without any problems so far. I just gave the example of guitars based on my experience (hence my worries). But if the overall experience of 701 vs 702, being the 702 in material quality, durability, etc.,, for instance, worse when compared to the Austrian 701, I would like to know, this is just to make an informed purchase as much as possible.

The price between the 2 is not a deal breaker, only 5 Euros.

May 4, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 22
Me, I would just go for the 702.

May 4, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 22
Thanks for the input and opinion.
May I just ask why would you go for the 702 instead the 701? I’m just trying to gather all the info, pros and cons I can get.
I'm just not seeing enough reason(s) for getting the K701, over the K702 and it's only 5 Euros more, for the higher model number (K702).

May 4, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 22
I'm just not seeing enough reason(s) for getting the K701, over the K702 and it's only 5 Euros more, for the higher model number (K702).

I tend to agree with you... The 702 seems a better deal, detached cable and a slightly boosted lows (not Beats boosted, of course) that may be better suited to the Metal bands I hear of scooped mid guitars, palm-muting stuff, etc.

The only reason I also consider the 701 is because it's the "classic/legendary" status, and the fact that cable may be of higher quality than the detachable one of the 702 (I don't know about this, I'm just wondering)...

But if the cables are of the same quality, and thinking rationally, what's the point of buying the 701 just for the sake of having the "classic", when the 702 is basically the same model in essence, just with some minor differences, and the model that may serve me better? Just some food for thought for me to consider...

And since I'm not using them for critical listening/mastering, just using them for pure listening pleasure, from what I've read I guess the K702 may be a little "fun" to listen than the 701 (just like the Sennheiser HD650 may be more fun vs HD600).

I have to make decisions, I can't have them all! :frowning2:

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 22
One more question... I see mentioned that the 702 allows the ear-pads to be replaced... the 701 does not allows this? Odd...
A good reason for going with the K702.

May 5, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #10 of 22
Or Q701

May 5, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #11 of 22
Out of the k7** series I definitely like the k712 best. The k701 with the bumped headband was my least favourite. From the good ol' midfi perspective it is true that the k701 is the legend, but they perfected the lineup with the anniversary edition, which became the k712.

A drop k7xx would be best bang for the buck if you live in drop country

May 6, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #12 of 22
I'm very new to Headphones and I'm planning to buy the "Holy Trinity of Mid-Fi" Headphones for my collection (whatever this term is... but you know, the AKG K701/702, the Sennheiser HD600/650 and the Beyer Dynamic DT880).

I'm planning to start with the AKG K701/702. I'm still undecided what would be right for me, as I listen a lot of Metal and Rock, and the slight less bass of the K701 worries me a bit (although from the FR graphs they seem very similar). Also, the 702 has detachable cable which I prefer, but the 701 is really "the classic" and I don't dislike the white. Since I can't hear one before buying, this is confusing to me. Anyway, have to make decisions, decisions...

Like this wasn't enough, another factor entered the equation: as I read somewhere, ALL the current production 701's are still being made in Austria and while the first 702's where made in Austria, the current production of ALL 702's are now made in China (I don't know if this is really true).

Now, I don't have anything against China, let's make it clear, but I guess we all know that China does not have a high standard in terms of quality control and/or materials (based on my experience with guitars, for instance).

So:
- Is this something that I should worry about, 701 (Austria) vs 702 (China)?
- Do you notice that the 701 compared to the 702 has better materials, better built (little details that make the difference), more durable, better quality control (so I have a greater chance of getting "a lemon" if I choose the Chinese 702), etc.?
- Or are they both built to high standards and I should not worry about this?
- Anyone who has/had both that an speak from experience?

I hope you understand my worries (again, this is nothing against China!), this is my first a little more expensive purchase and I don't want to buy something that I regret latter.

Thanks in advance!
No you should not worry about Austria vs China or build materials as they practically are the same headphone. The slight differences in tuning you’ll have to intentively sniff out via an a/b comparison..and then it’s really not that easy, especially if you are blindfolded and handed over the headphones.
I know you’re looking at the classic mid-fi trio but taking into account your concern about the bass or indeed lack of it, I’d echo what others have said about the K712/K7XX. For the genres you listen to probably a better way to go...or indeed if you want to try out the more “classic” AKG tuning, I’d spring for the K612 over either the K701 or the K702. It’s basically a rebranded K601, but it’s still AKGs most linear and balanced headphone with this design aka huge cups, elastics and that wonderful old school radio-operator look to it.
I also happen to think that the bass on the K612 is one of finest you can possibly find in a dynamic openback headphone, unless you start throwing around crazy money.

May 6, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #13 of 22
I purchased the k701 when it came out, also purchased another as backup in 2009. I would only like to give a few pointers about the k701. I did hear the k702 for a passing moment while visiting Japan of all places and it did have more bass.

The k701 while iconic is a very different and difficult headphone to get to sound right. Meaning it takes a boatload of power before it starts to get close to sounding right. In all it’s qwerkyness I really liked it and spent a year with it as my sole headphone. It’s bright has diminished bass and a wildcard treble spike in an area making it not really neutral or transparent. It’s popular because it does sound pretty nice for the money, especially if you already have some giant headphone amp laying around waiting for the challenge.

I really loved the AKG k701 with Opeth. Though most of the time even driving it optimally with the Woo Audio 5LE is was still bass shy. Acoustic guitar and vocals were amazing as well as Dead Can Dance was simply an event.

I’m just not sure either the k701 or k702 will be the best for Metal? Much of the time though headphones can be a stepping stone to future ideas about sound signature. Meaning it’s maybe true that everyone here has used new headphones to learn from. What they learn about is really themselves and what they would eventually like or love.

My top favorite IEM is very much tuned to sound like the k701, though more bass. In fact after reading the way the Noble Encore was described in reviews, I could relate to how the detail would relate with my Metal listening needs.....especially due to a bright midcentric vibe and added treble spike personality.

If you could I would suggest geting a demo of some style before a purchase of the k701 or k702.

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #14 of 22
I purchased the k701 when it came out, also purchased another as backup in 2009. I would only like to give a few pointers about the k701. I did hear the k702 for a passing moment while visiting Japan of all places and it did have more bass.

The k701 while iconic is a very different and difficult headphone to get to sound right. Meaning it takes a boatload of power before it starts to get close to sounding right. In all it’s qwerkyness I really liked it and spent a year with it as my sole headphone. It’s bright has diminished bass and a wildcard treble spike in an area making it not really neutral or transparent. It’s popular because it does sound pretty nice for the money, especially if you already have some giant headphone amp laying around waiting for the challenge.

I really loved the AKG k701 with Opeth. Though most of the time even driving it optimally with the Woo Audio 5LE is was still bass shy. Acoustic guitar and vocals were amazing as well as Dead Can Dance was simply an event.

I’m just not sure either the k701 or k702 will be the best for Metal? Much of the time though headphones can be a stepping stone to future ideas about sound signature. Meaning it’s maybe true that everyone here has used new headphones to learn from. What they learn about is really themselves and what they would eventually like or love.

My top favorite IEM is very much tuned to sound like the k701, though more bass. In fact after reading the way the Noble Encore was described in reviews, I could relate to how the detail would relate with my Metal listening needs.....especially due to a bright midcentric vibe and added treble spike personality.

If you could I would suggest geting a demo of some style before a purchase of the k701 or k702.

Thanks for all the info! And nice taste in Opeth :wink:

Yeah, I guess there may be better headphones for metal, but I'm really interested in getting the midfi trilogy of headphones, and the K701/702 is the cheapest way to start with. :wink:

May 12, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #15 of 22
Guys, I'm becoming a little confused on this 701/702 thing...

For those who know both, I have jus a few simple questions:

- AKG on the website clearly says the 702 has replaceable earpads, but no information about this on the 701. Are the earpads on 701 also easily replaceable, just like the 702 ones (turn them around to detach) or are a little more tricky to replace?

- are the earpads on the 701 and 702 made of memory foam (just like the 712)?

- the further I read about the 701 vs 702 the more I get confused about the sound... I've read a few post that say that the sound of the 701 vs 702 is EXACTLY the same... On the other hand, I also read that the 702 has a little more bass and the graphs on rtings show that... So, what's the veredict?

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back