AKG K701 vs. Beyerdynamic DT880
Aug 19, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #16 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by ksu06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I respectfully disagree about the comment regarding the treble, at least for the 250 ohm version; I tried a DT990 250 ohm and I own a K701, both used on my set up and I found the DT990 treble to be much more forward and at the same time more harsh and fatiguing. The K701 has great treble extension but does it much more smoothly, and as a previous post suggests, more like you are further away/above the concert ... I would hazard a guess that your K701 was not fully burned in as untame treble is certainly a sign of that (just a guess of course) and as it has been well documented on Head-Fi, the K701 needs hundreds upon hundreds of hours to reach full burn in

i owned the K701 for 2.5 yrs.

the 600 ohm are reportedly smoother in the treble. i actually thought they were a bit a bit too muted and rolled-off until about 100 hrs. go figure.

edit: no harshness with the K701/Bijou, but ultimately lacking in musical drive and grip.

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #19 of 83
Having tried or owned the DT880 '03 250 ohm, HD650, HD600, K701, DT880/600, I hate to say it but the DT880/600 easily beats all of them.

K701is a love it or hate it headphone and tbh, I hate it. Ok, great for your acoustic stuff but that's about it. Not to mention it's real funky artificial soundstage and weird fit on my head when I tried them. the HD600, which I consider tbh to be better sounding than the HD650, isn't as detailed or transparent as even the '03 DT880 and DT880/600ohm easily beats the DT880 '03.

Not to mention synergy wise, it's much safer to go with the DT880 as the K701 is notorious of bad synergy. If you match the wrong amp with the K701, it will cry but sounding thin and having no bass (probably why I disliked it) and of course with Sennheiser, you can get the really bad 'Sennheiser veil', in which the voices sound muffled and sounds like the music is behind a thin piece of curtain if you match the wrong amp with it. the DT880 doesn't have these problems at all.

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #21 of 83
I fund the 880 to have unnatural boost on the bass, and my mean problem with them was the crazy aggressive highs. The K-702 are much more natural, with better sound resolution and sound stage. If you are a bass head just go for the Pro-900.

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #22 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I fund the 880 to have unnatural boost on the bass, and my mean problem with them was the crazy aggressive highs. The K-702 are much more natural, with better sound resolution and sound stage. If you are a bass head just go for the Pro-900.

That'll be DT880/250 '05 as the DT880 '03 and DT880/600 sound much different.
The DT880 is a much better all-genre headphone. The K701 is better for acoustic stuff. Soundstage on the K701 is fine....if you like the musicians placed 10 metres apart from each other on the extreme right and extreme left.....
The soudnstage / headstage on the K701 = the most unnatural ever tbh.

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #23 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT880 is a much better all-genre headphone. The K701 is better for acoustic stuff. Soundstage on the K701 is fine....if you like the musicians placed 10 metres apart from each other on the extreme right and extreme left.....

Have you actually owned a K701 and used it a lot or did you test it, borrow it or owned it only for a brief period and were quickly turned off?

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #24 of 83
Only tried it. It was properly amped (in terms of what's needed power wise) and was feed via a Rotel CD player. Tried it and honestly, I really wanted to like it, but didn't. It was probably a bad synergy match amp wise but still.

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #25 of 83
Quote:

You are funny, the way you describe the K701 sound stage is exactly how it sound direct from the PC without any amp or professional sound card.

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #26 of 83
Having owned the DT800 (250 ohm), K701 and listened extensively to the DT800 (600 ohm), I would say get the 600 ohm DT880!

It's highs were not as hot as the 250ohm DT880 and had a better bass response than the K701 and was a more musical headphone.
beyersmile.png

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #27 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are funny, the way you describe the K701 sound stage is exactly how it sound direct from the PC without any amp or professional sound card.

It was from a Rotel CD Player and the top end Lehmann amp, don't you worry about that. That I am certain of. Definitely wasn't from a computer.

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #28 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having owned the DT800 (250 ohm), K701 and listened extensively to the DT800 (600 ohm), I would say get the 600 ohm DT880!

It's highs were not as hot as the 250ohm DT880 and had a better bass response than the K701 and was a more musical headphone.
beyersmile.png

Yay! I honestly have not heard any bad things about the DT880/600 on here. Ok, I'll make one: the DT880 (all versions) soundstage depth could be better but that's really about it. As I said and it's true, the K701 is a love-it or hate-it headphone. I personally don't have much love for it.

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #29 of 83
Quote:

Only tried it. It was properly amped (in terms of what's needed power wise) and was feed via a Rotel CD player. Tried it and honestly, I really wanted to like it, but didn't. It was probably a bad synergy match amp wise but still.

It doesn't matter. That's OK. I do recall the 'culture shock' I experienced going from the Edition 8's I had been exclusively listening to for several months and then listening to the K702's. The sound stage was rather odd sounding indeed. After listening pretty much exclusively for about 3 weeks, it sounds fine to me. In fact, it sounds great.
biggrin.gif

These ALO K702's make for a listening experience that's in the main more natural for me than the Ed8's. I get a sense of comfort from the tonal balance that I didn't with the Ed8's when listening to jazz, new age, world and classical music. The sound of the K702's came to me and now that I've acclimatized to it, I do prefer its sound. The sound staging has also changed after growing 'accustomed' to it. Again, more natural for me. I think it's more after my ears and brain have grown to understand it. I may well get an HD800 after all.

After this experience with the AKG's, I'm now speaking from the POV of any quite radically different experience in sound/approach: We often put them aside as being not for us. Quite often, it's just that we're very accustomed to a particular approach/sound and erroneously assume that it's the sound/approach we really like. This results in a restlessness that's never appeased since any venture into a different approach which may well be the one that in the end is better for us, is met with a quick and hasty retreat.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know if this could be the case with you. Only you would know, but I thought I'd let this out since there's a wider audience here.

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #30 of 83
Quote:

It was from a Rotel CD Player and the top end Lehmann amp, don't you worry about that. That I am certain of. Definitely wasn't from a computer.

Hehehe, it was your first time to hear depth in the sound stage, this why you got so confused.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back