AKG K701 setup - I Am Lost.
Jul 30, 2010 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bloosnail11

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fiers. Currently, my setup is uDAC>HD 555, but I'm looking for an upgrade. My main music tastes are ska, acoustic, pop-punk, and classical. A few weeks ago, I started looking in to what could be my next setup. I wanted a balanced phone with a large soundstage, and that also lets the listener really analyze the music. I did a bit of research, and after a bit I found them. The AKG K701's fit the bill perfectly. I was ecstatic. However, I constrained myself from buying them on the spot and did a bit more research. It was then that I stumbled upon this place. This site told me that my trusty uDAC would come nowhere near being able to properly drive the K701's, and that using uDAC>K701 would be a waste of a K701. I was distraught. My perfect setup had now been reduced to next to nothing. However, after further reading on here, it was discovered that a preamp could be hooked up to the uDAC to give enough power to properly drive the K701's. All hope was not lost! Unfortunately, all the amps recommended were $200+. When (or if) I buy the K701's, I'll have a little more than $100 spending money, and I don't have a job/make money. So, I've narrowed it down to a few budget systems (until I get more money) and was wondering what you guys think of them. They're in no specific order.

1. uDAC>Little Dot +1>K701
                   2. uDAC>PA2V2>K701
Sell uDAC and 3. Tube Magic D1>K701

I understand that the PA2V2 setup is probably the weakest link out of the three, but I was wondering how apparent the difference would be to the other two choices.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Aug 13, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 10
I would probably do the third option or just wait to until you can afford a better amplifier. I was powering my K702s, which sound the same as k701s, with a cmoy amp (which has similar circuitry with the PA2V2), and it was extremely underpowered. I upgraded to a Matrix m-stage and I can hear a huge difference. It would be best, and most likely save you money, if you waited to get a powerful amp for your AKGs.

They can pump out some amazing sound with the right amp.

Aug 13, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 10
i don't find anything wrong with the udac as a source.
so i'm not sure why you'd sell that unless you plan to get a $500 or higher source (dac-19, stagedac, etc.)

the k701 needs a nice solid state amp (IMHO). 
i haven't heard all of the nice options out there, but there are quite a few to look into (depending on your budget).

kicas caliente
heed canamp
matrix m-stage
little dot mk V (i think that's the one)
schiit asgard

the list goes on...
happy reading....
beerchug.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 10
I had the Maverick D1 and I cannot recommend it.  It's headphone stage goes nowhere near the vacuum tube.  It was a very noisy headphone amp that had a persistent hum at all volume levels.  The sonic characteristics made it very strident.  It also was not put together very well as the top screws on the back of the case did not line up with the bottom half.  The painted letters started to wear off after one week of use.  I know the D1 is talked about here and generally liked, but I hated mine.  I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.  I might have gotten a lemon, but YMMV.  My experience leads me to not recommend it at all.

Aug 13, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 10
The PA2V2 is actually a very sweet amp that works quite well with higher impedance cans.  I have one and I use it regularly with my Beyer DT880 high impedance phones.  It will be an excellent choice and it's a choice that you can live with for a long time until you otherwise can afford something else.  I've owned several considerably more expensive headphone amps and the PA2V2 is no slouch.

Aug 13, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 10
I don't consider the 701/702 to be high impedance cans.  I think they are low impedance cans and would definitely benefit from a high current amp.

Aug 13, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
I had the Maverick D1 and I cannot recommend it.  It's headphone stage goes nowhere near the vacuum tube.  It was a very noisy headphone amp that had a persistent hum at all volume levels.  The sonic characteristics made it very strident.  It also was not put together very well as the top screws on the back of the case did not line up with the bottom half.  The painted letters started to wear off after one week of use.  I know the D1 is talked about here and generally liked, but I hated mine.  I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.  I might have gotten a lemon, but YMMV.  My experience leads me to not recommend it at all.

I thought I would try and address your situation. It really sounds like you got one of the December 09 or early January 2010 batches. I have a similar one. The issues are that this was the first model and the gain is really high, this is fixed new newer batches. Also, the paint coming off was a factory mistake due to cold weather. I admit it would have been nice to see replacement front panels sent out but oh well. The case issue you had, I don't really have that in my unit. I know in the early models there was 1 or 2 other people that reported it but I think the case issue has been sorted out. As for the tube, it's not advertised as a tube amp, it's just a tube pre-amp output from the DAC. Having an all-in-one with a built in tube headphone amp would take more space as well as cost significantly more. There is a new product out that is to be paired with the D1 and it's called the A1 and it's a full tube headphone amp with built in hybrid power amp for bookshelf speakers.

Mostly, I'm posting here to just say that the issues hodgjy had are fixed now.

Aug 13, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 10
I knew that when I bought it.  I mainly bought it for the preamp, but I did want the added bonus of the headphone port.  I mentioned the issue with the tube because I got the impression that the OP might have thought it was a tube headphone amp.

I also realize that many issues have been fixed with the Mav, which is good.  It just put a sour taste in my mouth that we essentially paid Ryan to be his "in the wild" beta testers.  I'm sure the finalized product is much better, which was why I said I might have gotten a lemon.

Quote:
As for the tube, it's not advertised as a tube amp, it's just a tube pre-amp output from the DAC.

Aug 13, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
I knew that when I bought it.  I mainly bought it for the preamp, but I did want the added bonus of the headphone port.  I mentioned the issue with the tube because I got the impression that the OP might have thought it was a tube headphone amp.
I also realize that many issues have been fixed with the Mav, which is good.  It just put a sour taste in my mouth that we essentially paid Ryan to be his "in the wild" beta testers.  I'm sure the finalized product is much better, which was why I said I might have gotten a lemon.

Ah, I'll be honest and say I didn't read the OP :) For some reason I'm subscribed to this thread and saw your post so I thought I should reply.
To some, the issues are dealbreakers. If anyone wants to buy a used D1, I would find out what it's serial number is so you can tell what batch it came from. Even still with those "flaws", for the money and compared to the Zero, it's an amazing deal. The D1 isn't the worlds best amp or DAC and that definitely shows but the features come together for a very affordable price. I'm sure if anyone has a problem with a Maverick Audio product, you can contact Ryan and one way or another he'll sort it out for you.

Aug 13, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #10 of 10
Part of my disappointment is in myself.  Normally, I never buy anything that's first batch.  I am usually very patient and wait for many reviews and bug fixes to come out.  But, I got impatient and bought the Mav when it just came out.  Had I waited several months, like I normally would have, I'm sure I would have gotten one of the better units and wouldn't have been frustrated by the one I got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back