AKG K701 Review Thread
Dec 6, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #331 of 380
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikon
So the big questions are: Are they worth it? Or are they just the FOTM?

And the answer is that no one can tell you how you'll like them or with what equipment/music they sound best. In the best of circumstances its hard to use the posted impressions of others to predict how they'll sound to you. It's that much harder with all the contradictory comments about the K701. Maybe you're lucky, and have found that another Head-Fi-er has heard other equipment that you've heard and has had the same reaction to it. Then their reaction to the K701's could be the same as yours. Maybe. Or not.

I've had a chance to listen in my home to HD-650's and SA-5000's and K701's, and don't agree with what some others have posted when comparing these headphones. But with so many contradictory comments already posted, I didn't want to post my own impressions. (And I've also been unable to hear the K701's with a proper amp since the amp I ordered to use with the 701's arrived DOA, but I should have a good amp in a few days).

There's really no substitute for hearing them for yourself.

Quote:

As the K701 costs about 30-40% more than the HD650, I would expect it to kick the Senn's ass (even with the Zu).

With the introductory pricing available from some dealers in the US, the K701 was actually significantly cheaper than the HD-650, a bit more than DT-880's.

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #332 of 380
Quote:

Originally Posted by trbl
With the introductory pricing available from some dealers in the US, the K701 was actually significantly cheaper than the HD-650, a bit more than DT-880's.

Woah, I didn't expect the pricing to be THAT different in the US. This is how it's in Germany:

K601 -> 200 EUR
DT880 -> 200 EUR
HD650 -> 220-320 EUR (this one varies quite extremely)
K701 -> 320-360 EUR
(SA-5000 -> 490 EUR)

(those prices include taxes, as usual in Germany)

You see why I have such high expectations ...

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #333 of 380
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
They share enough in common (at least compared to Grado/Sonys/etc.) that I couldn't justify keeping both. With the Zu cable neutralizing any overall detail advantages the AKG had, it basically came down to crisp versus warm. I can certainly see (and hear) why some will go the former. After a bit of a struggle I finally choose the latter.

A couple of points in favor of the AKG though: The Zu cable needed to push the Senn ahead, I already miss the out-of-the-way single cord flexible K701 cable. And the K701 is easily more comfortable.

Thanks for replying... I did lose track of this thread after a while and I tried going back to read your posts, but your decision seemed rather abrupt. Thanks for the explanation.

Actually, your post reaffirms my faith in the K701. I was looking for something with a more "crisp" sound than the HD650 but nothing drastically different (which is why I kinda scratched off the SA5000 from my list) so hopefully, I'll like the K701... when it gets delivered. Hope prevails!
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #334 of 380
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
Actually, your post reaffirms my faith in the K701. I was looking for something with a more "crisp" sound than the HD650 but nothing drastically different (which is why I kinda scratched off the SA5000 from my list) so hopefully, I'll like the K701... when it gets delivered. Hope prevails!
biggrin.gif

I'm horrible in describing audio effects, however if you're looking for a more organic sound than the majority of Sony/AT cans, but you're looking more crispness than the Senns, the K701 is probably what you should start with. Although I usually equate warmth with organic qualities, it's not the whole picture. And the Senn/AKG separation shows it here. Listen I like the Sony/AT sound quite a bit. There are characteristics they share with a very good jazz acoustic performance for instance. The K701 heads in this direction, but it still sounds more analogue than than the Sony/AT. But it doesn't sound velvety/tubey-analog which is where the Senns win again.

It's what you enjoy, but also I suspect somewhat what you were raised on. Some of us were raised on LPs or cassettes and bands recorded for that sound. Some younger members may have been around CDs and MP3s most/all of their lives. They listened to bands recorded for that. In addition in a post-rock world (can I say that?) instrumentation has changed and electronica certainly is more prevalent (as is strings and wood less). Greatly over-exaggerating, it's that "tube" versus "solid state" (quotes used on purpose) debate. I only bring this up, because although there are many phones I haven't heard, among the ones I have owned (HD650/600, CD3K, K501, SR225/HF1), the K701s, after break in, came closest to bridging those two worlds.

That said, I personally prefer a slightly warm, weighty sound (I actually remember tearing up when hearing an old Grundig tube desktop once). It's my bias. That's why I currently have a tube source, like Emmeline amps and went with the Senns (inched ahead with the Zu). But the K701s aren't bad at all. It truly didn't feel good packaging the AKGs up.

Dec 6, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #336 of 380
I think I've made my decision also. It's the same as blessingx's... K701 will go.

I end up keeping two pairs of headphones and there's bigger contrast between 650 and SA5000 than K701 and SA5000 so 650s will stay. The warm, rich and absolutely the most UNfatiguing sound I've ever heard is something that I don't afford to abandon.

K701 has somewhat 100 hours now but I just can't have energy to compare 650 and K701 anymore. I want to enjoy the music and listen to it without analyzing it all the time. The harsh and edgy highs are still there and I've lost my hope of them to disappear in near future. It's most probably my rig which causes this but then it is. It still sounds great with SA5000 and 650 and I have no intention to upgrade anything in my rig for a while (and no money to do that) so K701 will go.

K701 lies in the box and is waiting for a new owner. I hope I can find him/her from Finland.

Dec 7, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #337 of 380
Quote:

Originally Posted by KZEE
No problem. I thought for sure you'd have some type of smart *ss comments to make in regard to what I said, so I was a little bit surprised to see such a classy response from you. Thanks.

Lol, I try to keep myself in check lately, but sometimes miss when I've come across the wrong way or have said something out of step. I hope you didn't expect a smart*ss comment from me because of any past posts I've made (I think I've been pretty good on this forum).

So...the K701! Has anyone compared the difference in sound between the K701s used with a solid state amp and how they sound when used with a tube amp? I'm loving the sound I'm getting with my M^3, but I can't deny an attraction to things that are either shiny or glow
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #338 of 380
WOW! nice album! blue lines is massive attack's best, imo. I find frequently that low fi stuff is best to review audio components on. there are many factors for this - the distortion inherent in this particular low fi recording only separates into its parts and becomes an obvious musical line at only the highest of resolutions. additionally, there is the other factor of simply if it makes real music sound good. low fi is a fact of life for much of my favourite music, and sometimes i prefer a less hifi system and more beautifully coloured system to play it on. the best systems i have ever found are those that do low fi (with all the hiss, overtones separated, and all the high frequency artifacts) really well.

the orpheus and some other electrostats (though the orpheus still way etter) have been able to separate the high frequency artifacts out of say, stereolab mars audiac quintet flawlessly. no dynamic has ever touched it... i have hopes for this 701 though, with all that speed...

Clark

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhw
Haha, I'll give you that. As a long-time lurker and eventual poster, I know you were going through the DT880 buying dilemma at around the same time I was, so I think we probably have similar worry styles about buying stuff and guessing what will sound best...so I can relate at least in concern if not posting style
smily_headphones1.gif

So...maybe something more on point from this corner then?
biggrin.gif
Hopefully the following isn't too extensive...
redface.gif

I still haven't heard the HD650, but I can compare the K701s to the HD580s. Suffice it to say, my HD580s will be in the forums as soon as finals are over and I have some time. I'm not a great audio reviewer, so take any of the following with a grain of salt. I can say that while the bass definitely takes more of a backseat with the K701s compared to the bassier HD580s (extension-wise they seem about the same, but quantity-wise, the HD580s win), I find the K701s to be more involving and "clear" sounding...like more of the spectrum is available. I find the 580s comparitevly claustrophobic if that makes sense...but that's the sensations I get when I switch between the two. Part of that of course could just be the awful clamping of the 580s...I don't think my head was made for them...more importantly this is caused by what I see as an overemphasis on some of the lower frequencies that can dominate the sound signature...not a new opinion of them, but differently people react differently to it. The 701s are noticeably brighter when switching off, but not in an obnoxious sense...if I put them on without having heard the 580s in awhile (which I'd been doing for a few weeks), I don't notice them as being bright (it only comes when comparing them in other words). And while not the toe-tappers that Grados are, they still are involving, and I don't forget that I'm listening to music when they're on my head...a sad thing that happens when I'm listening to the 580s sometimes.

I also find that I can enjoy the K701s at a lesser volume, while the 580s seriously need some juicing before they sound their best and all the details come out. With the K701s, some things, especially in the upper-mids and highs, just become instantly more noticeable with the K701s...it can really transform a song with that...it's like part is missing to me when I switch back to the 580s.

Right now, I'm listening to Massive Attack's Blue Lines, an album I bought a long time ago but am enjoying it a lot for the first time right now. The songs sound more spacious and less muffled. I think that's probably my interpretation of the Sennheiser "veil"...someone earlier in this thread (sorry about being too lazy to look back) said there seems like a veil of space between the performers and your head with the K701s, but at least for me, it's not the same "veil" that the Senns have...it's more distance...everything sounds clear, just not like your standing in the midst of the action. The K701s come across as faster and better able to keep up with the faster rhymes (which are pretty laid-back compared to other artists)...probably because of more emphasis on the highs with the K701.

Keep in mind this is using a nicely warm but adequately detailed-sounding M^3 (I think it has the 627/637 configuration), and that the HD580s did sound considerably different with the Gilmore Lite I used to have (too hard for my tastes). I'd love to hear how these sound through a SLAM or an amp with a similarly good reputation...but right now I'm very much content.

So...I hope that contributes something of use to this thread so I just don't take up too much space sharing my views on posting ethics.
smily_headphones1.gif
Seriously, check out these headphones...they're not perfect (I don't know if perfect is possible!), but they're a step in the right direction, IMHO.

Dec 8, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #339 of 380
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
The K701 is certainly warmer than the K501, which I also have on hand. As I mentioned earlier, the tone is richer, but I don't think I'd call it romantic. Compared to my SA5K, of course, it's positively lush. The closest comparison in my collection would be the DT880, and the word that probably best describes the K701 is "neutral." It's neither so coldly crystaline as the K501 nor etched as is the Sony. I'd echo what KZEE said about the absence of hardness, an occasional characteristic of both the 501 and the SA5K.

Would it help if I said the K701 gets out of the way of the music? I don't find myself listening to the headphone.

BW

Hi Bill,

I was wondering if you could elaborate some more on the similarities/differences between the 880 and 701? Soundstage, volume to come alive, tonal balance, space-between-the-notes, benefit from tube amp, etc. I very much enjoyed your post on the SA5000 vs. 880. Thanks!

Tony

Dec 13, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #340 of 380
I have 150 hours on my 701's and seem to prefer them over the 650/zu. I'm not selling either for a while to be sure it's not the new factor...I've been a big 600/650 fan for years.

Every time I think the 701's may be too warm...I just put the 650's on and always seem to miss the rich full sound and wonderful vocals. When weraing the 701's I tend to 'forget' which headphones I have on and just enjoy the music.

I'm using a Antique Sound Lab MG-Head Mark III with NOS Tubes.

I also had the Sony 5000's and a pair of AKG 501's and sold them when I 'lost interest' over time. These 701's seem to hold my attention better then either one of them ever did...

It's a very personal matter of taste...you'll have to try them.

Dec 13, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #341 of 380
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
And the K701 is easily more comfortable.

I wish I had yours! The pads on my 701 are a lot stiffer than the pads on my 650s.
That aside, our findings are quite similar, despite me having the Equinox rather than the Zu. I have been listening almost exclusively to the 701s for several weeks now, and still when I plug in the 650s, I like the overall presentation better with the 650s.

Another interesting thing to note. Although the 701s do retain that nice bass presentation over the K501s, I am finding that in the upper midrange to high end handling, the K501 seems to me to have a firmer grip on the response. The K701 is decent now, and the sibilance seems to be gone... but it's just not quite as refined and accurate as either the K501 or the HD650.

This will no doubt strike some as being controversial, but it is simply my opinion, with my gear and ears. I was really planning on being blown away, and have come close, but it just hasn't happened yet for me. I'm not giving up the ghost yet, as this is all mainly within the scope of one rig. The cans are still extremely nice, wonderful even. I am willing to try rolling other gear through the rig in the interest of further improving the overall presentation.

As a final note regarding the 701 VS the 880... watch out. I did not compare them directly, but I had them with my 650s and the 501s for a good bit, and while they are nice cans, they are just not up to task for beating either the K701 or HD650, IMO. Excellent headphone, just not quite in the same league. (donning my Nomex coveralls, shoes, and gloves)

Dec 13, 2005 at 12:09 PM Post #342 of 380
Pity!
Instead,I sold the K1000 and keep my enjoyable K701.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
I think I've made my decision also. It's the same as blessingx's... K701 will go.

I end up keeping two pairs of headphones and there's bigger contrast between 650 and SA5000 than K701 and SA5000 so 650s will stay. The warm, rich and absolutely the most UNfatiguing sound I've ever heard is something that I don't afford to abandon.

K701 has somewhat 100 hours now but I just can't have energy to compare 650 and K701 anymore. I want to enjoy the music and listen to it without analyzing it all the time. The harsh and edgy highs are still there and I've lost my hope of them to disappear in near future. It's most probably my rig which causes this but then it is. It still sounds great with SA5000 and 650 and I have no intention to upgrade anything in my rig for a while (and no money to do that) so K701 will go.

K701 lies in the box and is waiting for a new owner. I hope I can find him/her from Finland.

Dec 15, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #343 of 380
Mini review time at long last!

Between the sibilant nature of the highs, even after many hours of break-in, and seeing some of these go to sale, I was starting to get a bit shaky on the 701s. Well, last night that changed.
smily_headphones1.gif

I probably have about 320+ hours on the 701s now. As recently as this past weekend, they still sounded somewhat harsh. A specific passage I will reference is from Alison Krauss' "New Favorite" SACD/CD. In the title track, near the beginning, she says "...they all Say it..." and this "S" has sounded nasty, in both the CD and SACD layers, right from the get-go. After about 50-60 hours, it was greatly tamed, but still was present. The Equinox-cabled 650s retain all the sparkling clarity of this track, but do not demonstrate this effect. So for weeks I would try this out, sometimes listening for a few hours straight with each pair, comparing.

Last night I did this yet again. The last bit of sibilance is gone! I'm not exaggerrating at all, in fact I did a bit of a double-take. I loaded a few other discs that have been notably sibilant, and they are sounding great! I questioned my hearing even, but tried the Senns with some favorite material, and it is all there and wonderful, as expected.

So I reloaded the AKUS "New Favorite" disc, and sat down to listen to it through with the K701s. It sounded just fabulous. When it finished, I listened to the disc again with the Senns. Then I reconnected the 701s, and listened to it a third time, all the way through, this time with the volume elevated a bit. Again, it was just as clean and clear as can be, without a shade of any harshness in the handling of the highs. Barry Bales' bass was full and well-defined, far nicer than the 501 of course, which is also very good, but somewhat recessed. Hearing Jerry Douglas picking the dobro- even the high notes, the resonators come through crisp and clear, without any edginess. I feel a well-recorded dobro is truly a tough test.

Back to the double bass presentation, the Senns are more impactful, but the 701s were a real treat, very enjoyable. For example, when I ran the DT880 vs Senn 650 vs K501, even the DT880 was just not happening in the bass department. The K701 leaves both the DT880 and the K501 in the distance by a good margin. I'm not going to venture out into a full runoff between the Senn 650 and the K701 here, as I have not given them both a rigorous side-by-side comparo yet. I've been waiting for ther 701s to calm down first (and was starting to loose hope). So I do hope to do a formal review of these two cans, despite never having posted a real review of anything to date. They are that enjoyable, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #344 of 380
Thanks for your findings. I'm really diggin' my 701's (although I don't have an amp at the moment)
mad.gif
Sooo, they're running directly out of the Ipod.
eek.gif
It's not the best but it's getting the point across.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back