AKG K701 Review Thread
Nov 19, 2005 at 10:02 AM Post #16 of 380
Thank you so much Gordo for your detailed review. Does the K701 projected a nice holographic or 3D effect that's alive, like the SA5000 or Ophreus, etc?

I often listening this types of music and is my first time buying a high-end headphone. I'm considering the K701, DT880, or HD650. Can you listen to some of the music samples with K701 and tell me what your impressions is when compares to the other headhphones?

Thaddeus Music Samples

Constance Demby Samples

Michael Hammer - Lighbody Music Samples

Miachel Hammer - Healing Music Samples

Thank you in advance.

-Kenneth

Nov 19, 2005 at 10:08 AM Post #17 of 380
Quote:

Does the K701 projected a nice holographic or 3D effect that's alive, like the SA5000 or Ophreus, etc?

Wmcmanus' K701 impressions from the last NYC meeting:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...&postcount=195
Quote:

The 701s. They give a very neutral presentation, with an even wider, more wrap around soundstage as compared to the already good 501 soundstage. Image separation is also excellent so the wide soundstage doesn't come across as being "spooky" or "off" as compared to how you mind normally processes information. In other words, it's a natural, effortless, and very musical presentation, but at the same time, somewhat on the holographic side.

Nov 19, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #18 of 380
Thanks bahamot. The K701 seem to be a very nice headphone that can play all types of music nicely together like the more expensive Orpheus System. It's like a lower end of the Orpheus System but with a good price.

-Kenneth

Nov 19, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #19 of 380
Quote:

Originally Posted by kenneth11zz
Thanks bahamot. The K701 seem to be a very nice headphone that can play all types of music nicely together like the more expensive Orpheus System. It's like a lower end of the Orpheus System but with a good price.

-Kenneth

Uhh, isn't Orpheus System's MSRP something like $28,000? K701 (without amp of course) MSRP is $399.

Nov 20, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #21 of 380
the 701s are my next cans. if they are way better than my 501 well....yay

Nov 20, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #22 of 380
I spent a lot of time this week with my K701s and have fallen in love with them. I compared them to 650,880,601,595, and 600, during my listening tests and they competed handily in this arena. They really do everything pretty well, with a particular emphasis on beautiful dynamics. On Chesky's Conga Kings disc the were able to deliver well controled percussiveness of the drums even when the drums were at a distance, none of the other cans were able to do this as well. They did, in fact, take quite a while to break in and as Gordo noted, were somewhat strident at first. After maybe 100 hours this harshness was pretty much gone.

These cans also give quite a good portrayal of distance and space. Not an easy thing for a headphone to do. This impression of space is made all the more convincing by their light weight and comfort, but I too think the headband is slightly uncomfortable; it seems to push down on my head just a little harder than it ought.

The 601 is slightly less refined than the 701, but still very good. I'd put it on par with the other cans, meaning that they are near reference quality, but have one or two noticable areas for improvement. They don't deem to have the last word in controlled highs that their big brother 701 has. And they sound slightly rounded off as a result, though they are still punchy sounding.

Nov 20, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #23 of 380
And focussing on the midrange alone, Tyll, which one of all those headphones would you think achieves the higher degree of realism, reproducing vocals and instruments with a finer balance of smoothness, liveliness, timbre ... ?

Thanks!

Nov 20, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #24 of 380
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
I spent a lot of time this week with my K701s and have fallen in love with them. I compared them to 650,880,601,595, and 600, during my listening tests and they competed handily in this arena. They really do everything pretty well, with a particular emphasis on beautiful dynamics. On Chesky's Conga Kings disc the were able to deliver well controled percussiveness of the drums even when the drums were at a distance, none of the other cans were able to do this as well. They did, in fact, take quite a while to break in and as Gordo noted, were somewhat strident at first. After maybe 100 hours this harshness was pretty much gone.

These cans also give quite a good portrayal of distance and space. Not an easy thing for a headphone to do. This impression of space is made all the more convincing by their light weight and comfort, but I too think the headband is slightly uncomfortable; it seems to push down on my head just a little harder than it ought.

The 601 is slightly less refined than the 701, but still very good. I'd put it on par with the other cans, meaning that they are near reference quality, but have one or two noticable areas for improvement. They don't deem to have the last word in controlled highs that their big brother 701 has. And they sound slightly rounded off as a result, though they are still punchy sounding.

If the 601’s are on a par with the other cans that Tyll listed, and the 701’s are better than the 601’s then can we infer that the 701’s are the best dynamic full size headphones made?

As my body convulses and I sweat profusely with K701 withdrawal symptoms I certainly believe that the K701’s are the “Best” headphones available. If you take price into consideration the answer becomes even clearer.

Now what was the question?

Nov 20, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #25 of 380
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
If the 601’s are on a par with the other cans that Tyll listed, and the 701’s are better than the 601’s then can we infer that the 701’s are the best dynamic full size headphones made?

[size=small]Somehow, I have a sneaking suspicion I know what Yikes' next set of cans will be.
very_evil_smiley.gif
[/size]

Nov 20, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #27 of 380
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
I too think the headband is slightly uncomfortable; it seems to push down on my head just a little harder than it ought.

I agree that the headband is too tight - if you don't adjust it a bit after its on. I'm not sure if you've tried this already, but I've found that if you push up on the sliders that connect to the headband when its on your head it will relieve just enough tension to make it a lot more comfortable. All it takes is a little nudge to take the tension down to a much more natural level.

Nov 20, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #28 of 380
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes

I think that at this level, "best" is determined by a number of factors that are personal: how comfortable they are for you, what your listening conditions are, what equipment you will be using them with, what types of music you listen to, which audio characteristics do you value most highly, and whether the phones in question have a fault that will bother you over time. I suspect that many will continue to prefer their Sennheisers or Grados over the 701s.

Nov 20, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #29 of 380
Gordo,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review the K701. I've been fighting the urge to go ahead and buy a pair of these...but I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 20, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #30 of 380
Aw crap! I thought that I had developed an immunity to new can fever. My interest in the K701 had dropped to mild curiosity. Then Tyll had to go and mention dynamics and even gave a relevant example. Now I am anxious to give them a listen again.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back