AKG K701 Low-Fidelity Headphones ?
Mar 10, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #31 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because i don't want them exchanged to get the same problem in 6 months. Big waste of time, money, hair etc, hate wasting btw..

The second reason is that i had the opportunity to test a pair of HD650 here on the same setup with the same recordings. The senn's performs better on the bass spectrum than the K701, lower frequency, more dynamism and details into it.

I love bass and my music collection is bass orientated.

Now that you know more , would you go for the K701 replacement or the HD650s ?

If you want more bass than there is in the mix you should go for something different.

I do not know the 650. But both other cans I own (DT880, Denon D2000) offer MORE bass than the 701. That is not to say its better bass. I choose the can according to mix, music and mood.

Mar 10, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #34 of 66
Quote:

Now that you can visualize the problem, did anyone find out the same cracks on their k701 ?

nope, not here

Mar 10, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #36 of 66
Not sure how it works in US, but up here you just send them to place where you bought them, thats it. AKG offers 2 years warranty, so must be no problem to them to repair/replace them.
Just recentely my K81DJ wire was broken, after 22 month of use, and I send them e-mail about it. After a day have got an answer like send them back for check and we will see what ever we can repair or replace them. So I send it, 3 days later have got e-mail that they have shipped a new one to me. I bought my from Ebay in Germany.

Just get in contact with them and tell everything. Sending pics may help also.

Quote:

it is just a matter of weeks now for this side to come lose...

Mar 10, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #37 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure how it works in US, but up here you just send them to place where you bought them, thats it. AKG offers 2 years warranty, so must be no problem to them to repair/replace them.
Just recentely my K81DJ wire was broken, after 22 month of use, and I send them e-mail about it. After a day have got an answer like send them back for check and we will see what ever we can repair or replace them. So I send it, 3 days later have got e-mail that they have shipped a new one to me. I bought my from Ebay in Germany.

Just get in contact with them and tell everything. Sending pics may help also.

I bought those and other cans at thomann.de , 3 years waranty, they will even refund the shiping costs so no problem there. I'll ask them to replace the k701 by HD650 or DT880, if they don't, i'll spend my money elsewhere.

Appart from Thomann and Ebay, do you know any other serious online shop to get high-end Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser in Europe ? According to my cousin in Delft , dutch people always find the best deals..

Mar 11, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #38 of 66
Quote:

Crazy people would think things like that all the time. When someone really likes an object he will give it a name, personalty etc, imagine the rest for youself...

An interesting point. Anthropomorphism is fairly common is some areas (boating for example), but it's not something that I have seen around here - maybe I'm wrong? I wonder how many head-fiers have names for their headphones.

Quote:

I am very (negatively) impressed by a flaw in the k701s : Parts are breaking off after 6 months of use ! if that's not a flaw what is a flaw then ?

I never questioned whether you have a flaw. You have every right to be frustrated by this - I would be too.

Quote:

"Buy cheaper sets to get better build quality" how could i not think of it before ? after all , its only the build quality im after. Its is widely known that top of the range products have the worse build quality.

I either miscommunicated my point or you chose to misunderstand it. Either way, what you have suggested I said is not the case.

What I was suggesting is that if you don't value the SQ of the K701 as one of the best headphones available today, based on your consideration to jump to the Senns based on build quality then you could choose to buy a different pair that has good build quality for much less money.

Quote:

seriously, just admit you came here to flame about the title and nothing else , cause your last paragraph is full of non-sense, contradictions..

I'm not sure how much time you have spent on head-fi, but you will find that the community is very helpful and supportive, and very few posts attract flaming. I took a counter position to your interpretation of the word fidelity. Just because I disagree with you doesn't make me a flamer. I was not, and am not, intentionally inciting an argument.

I hope you get your flaw sorted out.

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #39 of 66
i have a k701, theres a little crack on the outer edge of the right earpiece, halfway between front and up

that said tho, these are in no ways 'low fidelity' when it comes to the sound... even after abusive eq'ing of the sound to give more bass, the headphones handle everything faithfully right up to clipping... ever since i started using the k701 there were so many things that ive never noticed were even there in the songs i've listened to before, and theres a clear distinction between the realtime, simulated sound of games and the properly created audio in music
and i can honestly say that these are my first piece of audio equipment ever to let me experience first hand the effect of good cabling... actually, the lack of bad cabling, because i needed an extension to run between my computer and where im sitting...
yesterday i decided to plug the phones directly into my sound card, and clicked on the volume control to make it do the 'doong' sound that windows has by default... even with that sound, i can immediately feel more depth in the sound, it was somehow clearer and sharper, more fidelity you could say ... with the extension line it is as if there is a piece of paper between the earpieces and my hears

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #40 of 66
Quote:

Picture uploaded ! click on the picture for actual size.

Now that you can visualize the problem, did anyone find out the same cracks on their k701 ?

I have not seen this before. I think a replacement is in order for you. Best of luck.

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #41 of 66
Quote:

Picture uploaded ! click on the picture for actual size.

GD. I just got my pair back from warranty service and guess what... SAME DEAL
frown.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #42 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GD. I just got my pair back from warranty service and guess what... SAME DEAL
frown.gif

Yeah... Günther is a bit heavy-handed when it comes to things like this.
redface.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #44 of 66
Ugh, I sent in my K701s long ago for a checkup (forgot what it was for), and they came back looking kind of like Mr.Sneis' pair. I was distraught, but I didn't have the time, no funds, to send them back again, and in the end I would be the one paying for their mistake(s).
mad.gif

I think that's why I tend to steer clear of AKG these days.
frown.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #45 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An interesting point. Anthropomorphism is fairly common is some areas (boating for example), but it's not something that I have seen around here - maybe I'm wrong? I wonder how many head-fiers have names for their headphones.

I doubt that they do but it would be an interesting poll.

I never questioned whether you have a flaw. You have every right to be frustrated by this - I would be too.

I must have misunderstood because of the negation in your sentence

I either miscommunicated my point or you chose to misunderstand it. Either way, what you have suggested I said is not the case.

It's both actually
wink.gif

What I was suggesting is that if you don't value the SQ of the K701 as one of the best headphones available today, based on your consideration to jump to the Senns based on build quality then you could choose to buy a different pair that has good build quality for much less money.

The biggest issue is SQ and the K701s lack bass compared to HD650 and DT990. I also want to be able to use them for a decade or sell them back for a good price, and that won't happen if they start falling appart after 6 months.

I'm not sure how much time you have spent on head-fi, but you will find that the community is very helpful and supportive, and very few posts attract flaming. I took a counter position to your interpretation of the word fidelity. Just because I disagree with you doesn't make me a flamer. I was not, and am not, intentionally inciting an argument.

I misunderstood your point and "flaming" was not an appropriate word for your reaction.

I hope you get your flaw sorted out.

i hope everything is cleared up and that we are cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back