AKG K701 Initial Impressions-- Raw and Uncensored!
Apr 9, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #376 of 498
The frequency response becomes a little V-shaped, especially the bass borders on boominess with 120 ohm serial resistance. Still transparency is quite good, but the 0-ohm configuration sounds clearly more adequate to me -- out of a Corda Aria prototype.

Apr 9, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #377 of 498
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt
Trog: Baiting you would imply I didn't respect your opinions or intelligence, which is untrue. However, I've seen too many discussions of this kind get derailed and too many friendships submerged in random members' golden fountainspray (titter, point). I didn't want that to happen here, particularly when the conversation threatens to be interesting.

Okay no prob. I agree wholeheartily with you...

Quote:

Yes, but some people do appreciate the rarest swill at first guzzle. What's more, I wouldn't disregard someone's opinion of a Mouton-Rothschild Bordeaux simply because they hadn't tried anything else but Shadowfax Shiraz. What matters to me is quality of the writer's insight, not the eclecticism of their cellar.

Well yes and no. I agree mostly with what your saying here. I don't mean to be pedantic (though some of the verbiage of our threads seem to always go that route) its just that lately I'm seeing more enthusiasm than criticality in a lot of the reviews. That's fine as I've noticed (minus the regulars), the AKG 701 seems to be a popular choice among newer members.

Quote:

Then, logically, the question to ask might be whether anyone had heard all of the headphones you've mentioned and could offer comparisons. (Still, I don't mean to gnat-pluck, since you've been pleasant enough to apologize.)

No, no, point taken. I do enjoy your posts scrypt (even among the forest of similes!).

Quote:

Yes, well, according to the science section of some past issue of the New York Times, my high testosterone level makes me exceptionally passive and friendly, which means I am now nodding and grazing the keys affectionately with my lingham. However, my estrogen level is uncommonly low, which prevents me from engaging in verbal swordwiggling or otherwise feeling driven to thought-wrestle with you and the other hirsute longshorefellahs. Apparently, it's estrogen that makes us combative.

Y'know your just setting me up for a childish sexist remark...
k1000smile.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #378 of 498
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
But some people are fanboys who haven't heard the good stuff, and who believe their opinions are as valid as experienced listeners who have. But that's fine with me, if people want to settle for mediocrity I honestly couldn't care less. Their loss, not mine. Yes, it's elitism. No, I don't care.

Not that there was ever much to begin with, but this was one of several posts in this thread that are some of the clearest forms of Internet Self-Credibility Destruction I think I've ever seen.

This certainly explains your entire attitude and approach on this forum and I think it "sucks", to use your ignorant and inaccurate term when describing the AKG 701's in this thread, among other places.

The regulars of this forum really need to take a long, hard look at people around here with attitudes and behavior like this and take a stand against it.

This is the kind of thing that ruins forums outright. It's cancer.

I believe it should be exposed and purged, like any other unwanted disease or pestilence.

Quote:

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage

Clearly your sig link is Gospel Creed to you.

It's a nice shorthand definition and execution of megalomania.

Apr 10, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #379 of 498
A. Thorsen and arieus,

I don't think we need ANY MORE of this kind of stuff going on in this thread. OK??

This is a DISCUSSION forum, not an arguing forum or whatever else you might wish to turn it into. We discuss our OPINIONS (because that's what they are) in a CIVIL manner. OK??

Apr 10, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #380 of 498
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Anyone try the K701's from an amp with an 120-ohm headphone jack, like from Jan Meier's Corda or PreHead lines?

I gave it a try and it seemed to increase the muffled sound a bit and gave more body to the bass. I think the 0 ohm sounds significantly better.

Apr 15, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #382 of 498
I just got my own K701 today from HeadRoom. Fresh-from-box impression: not much better than the KSC 75
biggrin.gif

Burned in for 3 hours so far using a variety of electronica (the CD is actually a compilation soundtrack for "Wipeout XL"), and the sound has already changed! The highs weren't very present at first, but now they're almost as harsh as on my MDR-V6. I hope that gets tamed down a little.

The sonic differences are beginning to reveal themselves, and I'm starting to hear subtle nuances in my CDs I've never heard before! The soundstage is also pretty nice, it gives a big sense of "space" to the music as if for breathing room. Appreciable change from my K271S.

Bass doesn't seem to extend very low...yet. Hopefully burn-in will work on that too.

I like the aesthetic design too, I think it looks cool. Very comfortable too, and very lightweight, you almost don't feel them on your head.

On another note, I can't believe I own SIX headphones now! Six months ago I was telling myself I would never spend more $200 on even one headphone!
eek.gif
frown.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #383 of 498
Anyone who doesn't believe in burn-in has never owned a new pair of K-701's. They sound pretty mediocre out of the box, but keep listening. It's like hearing a flower bloom. The petals on mine are just beginning to open.

Apr 16, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #384 of 498
I know lots of others have posted burn-in progress updates, but I thought I'd add a couple more because I'm listening in smaller increments (burning in 12 or 24 hours unattended, then coming back to listen).

Currently have 31 hours on it. At 24 hours in, there was suddenly a plentiful amount of bass, not quite as much as even the bass-shy K271S, but at least there was a good low-end response. I'm listening to it right now (as I write this post) and the bass I heard 7 hours ago has disappeared! It's like a balance scale with the K701 tipping back and forth! Man these headphones are fickle....
tongue.gif
I gotta admit listening to the burn-in is kinda fun!

Apr 16, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #385 of 498
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
Anyone who doesn't believe in burn-in has never owned a new pair of K-701's. They sound pretty mediocre out of the box, but keep listening. It's like hearing a flower bloom. The petals on mine are just beginning to open.

It's interesting reading about people's experience with burn-in on this headphone. Mine sounded excellent right out of the box, and I've only put a few hours on them so far, but already I think they blow away the HD-650 and the DT-880. They get better??

Apr 16, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #386 of 498
much

Apr 16, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #387 of 498
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbunniii
It's interesting reading about people's experience with burn-in on this headphone. Mine sounded excellent right out of the box, and I've only put a few hours on them so far, but already I think they blow away the HD-650 and the DT-880. They get better??

Strange, I was rather unimpressed out of the box. I didn't even think they were on par with the DT880/HD650 I previously tried (but don't have to compare), let alone "blew them away". I should ask my friend to bring his DT880 next time for a side by side comparison. I do like them better now, whether it is psychological or actual burn in (50-60 hours?).

Edit: On a side note, I don't see why people say/care how they say. I don't think they look good/bad, but many here seem to dislike their look, and a lady friend said they look nice. Go figure.

Apr 16, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #388 of 498
Quote:

Originally Posted by TooNice
Edit: On a side note, I don't see why people say/care how they say. I don't think they look good/bad, but many here seem to dislike their look, and a lady friend said they look nice. Go figure.

I think they look like something out of a hospital, circa 1940. Not that I care when they're on my head at home, but I'm not sure I'd want to wear them at work. They sound great, though!

Apr 16, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #389 of 498
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan

Not only do I currently own a pair, but I did blind testing with a fellow head-fier comparing a 500+ hour pair of K701s vs a brand new pair of K701s.

I'm not saying I don't believe in burn-it, as that is irrevalent. The change in sound due to "physical burn-in of the drivers" of the K701s is practically non-existent. Mental burn-in? Yeah, there's the culprit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back