AKG K701 Initial Impressions-- Raw and Uncensored!
Apr 16, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #391 of 498
I'm starting to agree on these cans. Early on I nearly returned them to Headroom but something told me I needed to give them a chance. They've been running 24/7 since arrival and I'm a bit over 100 hours. Surprisingly, I'm really starting to dig these headphones! Of course, the first thought that went through my mind was "so how much better do the K1000's sound"? I smell another purchase coming!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #392 of 498
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbunniii
I think they look like something out of a hospital, circa 1940.

Which is the best thing you could possibly shriek about their appearance. Immaculate 40s luxury hospital tech -- I'd adore to have an entire room
decorated in that style, with gnatholators rising through the symmetrical
end tables and surgical trays displaying accessories and remotes mounted
on the wall below framed cutaway anatomy shots in duo tone yellow and
cobalt. Perhaps I'll order the 701 sooner than I'd planned. (Now to find
IEMs that resemble post-mortem audio probes.)

Apr 18, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #393 of 498
Another burn-in progress report!
biggrin.gif

My K701 now has about 70 hours on it (I missed 8 hours two nights ago when I forgot to turn on "REPEAT" on my source, d'oh!), and I'm starting to fall in love with them!
redface.gif
The sound I'm hearing is just auditory bliss, I'm hearing things I've never heard before! And the presentation/soundstage wraps around you like a blanket! Listening to music on them literally brings a smile to my face......
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #394 of 498
Damn this thread, for some reason I'm missing $299 now
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #396 of 498
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_Carter
Just gota say 1500+ hours and they still changin. Night and day between now and the supposed 300 hour full burn-in.

Haha, I think this is a record claim.
I can see it now, "Dude, you've gotta burn in the 701's for at least 5000 hours before you can make judgement on it"

Apr 18, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #397 of 498
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbunniii
It's interesting reading about people's experience with burn-in on this headphone. Mine sounded excellent right out of the box, and I've only put a few hours on them so far, but already I think they blow away the HD-650 and the DT-880. They get better??

I think a lot of this also has to do with the songs being played and the source. Mine did not sound harsh on my receiver on the songs I listened to and the bass was limited. Then other songs played after days of burn-in and the bass was really good (good quality, quantity still not huge). Then I played it through my iPod and Go-Vibe 4 and some highs were harsh. Then I played it through my computer and Go-Vibe and the highs were not harsh. But I would go against experienced people and say burn-in does not exist - my only point is I wonder if we are always playing the same songs over again to test burn-in. My 2 cents - worth about a penny.
icon10.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #398 of 498
I will say I am ALSO hearing things I never heard before. As strange as this sounds I think this headphone is GREAT for male vocals. There is one song where two guys are singing together and I also thought "Pre-701", "Wow it's amazing how two guys can be in unison so well." Well After-701 I heard at that the tail-end the two guys break off and one holds the note longer. Also I sure I am hearing the vocalists moving closer and away (like in inches) from the microphones as they sing. I am still awaiting for more changes - I only have 170 hours or so on the phones.

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #399 of 498
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_Carter
Just gota say 1500+ hours and they still changin. Night and day between now and the supposed 300 hour full burn-in.

Please tell me you're joking.

Apr 18, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #401 of 498
I just came back from a 4 day weekend away, with Autechre's Incunabula playing at 50% volume on my Zhaolu's built in headphone amp, on repeat. Probably took me from 130 hrs to 230 hrs. Plugged them into my Woo 3, and wow, audio nirvana, at long last.
I had been a little worried that I would have to sell, as they sounded 'plastic' and kinda fake before. That's all gone. They are now mine. Mine!

Apr 18, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #402 of 498
So 1,500 hours, divided by, 24 = 62 1/2 days of non stop playing (24/7). And they are still improving? Hmmmmm....

Apr 19, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #404 of 498
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep
150hrs of burn in

to me,

hd600s - dullness = k701

One of the first good headphones I owed was the HD580. I ended up getting other ones eventually. When the 650s came out I bought them, hoping to myself that they would sound like the 580s with the bass smoothed out and the veil removed. Well, the 650s smoothed out the bass by elevating it a bit too much for my tastes, and the veil? Still there.

I think the 701s sound like a hoped the 650s would -- but with better soundstage.

Oct 26, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #405 of 498
Just thought I'd bump this thread for the newcomers who might not have read about the K701's burn-in.

That and I'm presently burning in mine again - gunning for the 1500 hours that Matt_Carter mentioned!
biggrin.gif

This headphone is absolute 100% proof that burn-in exists...on the K701 anyway. I still remember how it sounded when I first got it. It's now a supreme audio machine of tonal neutrality.

And holy crap the bass extends lower than I initially thought. I finally tried them out on my CEC CD3300 the other day: BASSGASM! It actually got part of the low drop-kick on Crystal Method's "Keep Hope Alive"!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back