AKG K701 help
Jul 27, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #32 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by calvinjai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what i understand, you can use a DAC instead of a soundcard and vice versa. I don't believe you can use both at the same time. So if you got a compass, you can use the usb dac and skip out on the sound card.

For amp combinations: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/var...01-2-a-434774/

My Dac is an external sound card via usb bus and a preamp and a headphone amp....It cost a helluvalot but I never regret having it. It IS the hub of my audiosystem with a flick of a switch I use the ipod via the wadia itransport. I didn't do to much experimenting and the only other dac I tried was the headroom micro dac...good luck on your choice though. In my case I don't like to be dependent on the Computer as a source but it's nice to have the option. I know there are some nice cheap options out there for dacs/amp combos though and RSA predator and headamp Pico comes to mind.

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #33 of 56
Consider an older NOS DAC for a couple hundred and put the rest in an amp. A tube DAC and a SS amp will do more than a combo unit.

AudiogoN ForSale : Digital: DA Converters

Keep in mind where you have to send a Chinese amp for service. Saving now may cost more down the road.

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #34 of 56
the EF1 looks nice, but it would need a DAC to go with it correct? and the EF2 looks pretty good as well, since it's USB that is pretty much I will need correct? since my source is PC only. The iBasso D10 looks promising from what I've read as well, all are pretty inexpensive as well which isn't too bad. I'm a beginner at this stuff anyway but I'm pretty sure that I will be purchasing the K701s for sure once I make a final decision on which DAC/AMPs to purchase, but reading in these forums has given me quite a bit of selections. I'm pretty interested in this list though : Zero, Compass,DV336SE, EF1/2 (1 if I get a DAC to go with it) iBasso D10 maybe the X-Can V8 as well since I've been reading up on how good or decent it goes with the K701s.

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #35 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ taka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the EF1 looks nice, but it would need a DAC to go with it correct?

yes

Quote:

and the EF2 looks pretty good as well, since it's USB that is pretty much I will need correct?

yes and no. the EF2 will work as a system in itself. it will work as a stand alone amp but you can't use the dac to output to another amp. so if you decide to upgrade later you will need another dac. the dac isn't the greatest for the price from what i have read, but the amp is pretty nice and smooth.

Quote:

since my source is PC only. The iBasso D10 looks promising from what I've read as well, all are pretty inexpensive as well which isn't too bad.

this is a excellent choice as it can be used as a stand alone dac or amp and its also portable. i'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed. the dac itself is excellent. plus you can roll opamps on it too.
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #37 of 56
different color.
k702 has a removable/detachable cable but it only has 3 connectors.
k701 has a hardwired cable that has 4 connectors that can be re-terminated to balanced.
k701's come with a headphone stand. (which i don't really like)

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #38 of 56
when you say re-terminated what exactly does that mean? I really don't know much about balanced systems yet, and or the cables they use and what the difference is besides having better SQ right?

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #39 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlesyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should forget about sound cards and get an external DAC, the noisy environment inside a computer is really not suitable for audio conversion, so no matter how good the sound card is, the "sound" is not going to be great

Quote:

Originally Posted by RicHSAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't hear any of the noise you speak of coming from my Essence STX. I'm not gonna claim that is it better than an external DAC costing twice as much, but it still sounds great and all I hear is pitch black when nothing is playing.

I'll do you one better: the Essence STX is better than most amps costing twice as much, definitely better than the Compass and Zero DACs. Lower noise floor too, as in it filters a 12v rail from the power supply instead of sucking of the motherboard. Measurements: Two in One: Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card Review (page 7) - X-bit labs

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll do you one better: the Essence STX is better than most amps costing twice as much, definitely better than the Compass and Zero DACs. Lower noise floor too, as in it filters a 12v rail from the power supply instead of sucking of the motherboard. Measurements: Two in One: Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card Review (page 7) - X-bit labs

Maybe you can collaborate more about the differences between the Compass and the Essence ST.

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #41 of 56
I haven't found any measurements of the Compass, but going by the specs (AD1852 | Stereo, 24-Bit, 192KHz, Multibit Sigma Delta DAC | Audio D/A Converters | Digital to Analog Converters | Analog Devices) and the ST/STXs measured response, both DACs should be completely transparent at high listening volumes. The STX reaches even higher in SNR & THD, but those are limited by the headphone amp chip.

For 701s, the STX can swing more than enough voltage and distortion is minimal when driving loads over 64ohm. Sure, the compass can push more juice, but both amps will reach beyond the pain threshold of hearing by the point distortion and clipping become apparent.

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #42 of 56
So you mean the Essence is better in term of more bang for the buck then?
But yes I agree it´s funny that the old saying that you can´t use computers as a source because you are getting all kind of noise isn´t dead yet...

Regarding power if you are really hardcore you can get a solid PSU built for overclocking with quality parts and say 4 lines and use 1 line exclusively for your soundcard. though that may pushing that line a bit little though there is a threshold where it performs the best between max and min load... And yes a poor PSU can cause noise but I never use them anyway so never had a problem.

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #43 of 56
I'll warn you first: the K701 is a very specialized headphone and unless you listen mainly to classical music you might end up being unhappy with its bass. Don't just think that you are getting a bargain, what type of music do you mainly listen to anyway?

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #44 of 56
I get thumping bass from the K701 on my Essence ST. I really don´t want more on that setup. But otherwise yes on many amps they are bass light but it´s not at all impossible getting thumping bass out of them. However I do believe it´s true they require a lot of burn in. Mine was told to have like 500h in them already but surely got more bass out of them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back