AKG K701 help
Jul 25, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #16 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fortunately my Ultra Micro drives the AKG really well and I am happy... but an Essense ST?

I'm wondering, (and am half skeptical) as to this too.. I can't really see them being driven to run via just a soundcard alone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701 on the Heed Canamp have a huge soundstage but it´s thin. The upper treble doesn´t integrate with the lower treble..

This I also know is not true, IMO..and I don't watch movies out of my Heed/702, but I'm willing to venture that the voice weight problem happens because of a bass problem, not a treble integration problem(something that the K702s would hardly call a forte regardless of supporting components.)

I think you're definitely in the minority here, Oq..and I'd be curious to hear your set up, as I think there are pretty unconventional claims to say the least.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #17 of 56
I have listened to the K701 on the Essences onboard amp primarily and been extremely happy with that. I listened some on the Slee Solo today and it works superb also on that. It´s obviously the DAC part that goes hand in hand with the K701
smily_headphones1.gif

crossmd I can understand you haven´t noticed this issue much with music it´s mostly apparent for movies. It´s a midrange/upper bass problem. The emphasized upper treble is another one. Though of course partly linked since it affects wher you put the volume knob as to not hurt your ears.

With english not being my primary language it´s extra important for movies to use systems with good mid range and that also give me as natural soundstage as possible
smily_headphones1.gif

I still use headphones at times over my new surround system due to the mid range of my Pro 900 and the intimacy just fit some movies like a glove
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #18 of 56
so if I can just bypass buying a new soundcard which or how many decent amps and or dacs use and go well with the 701s ? I've been looking at the DV336SE too, looks ok but as far as I can tell no USB.

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #19 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ taka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so if I can just bypass buying a new soundcard which or how many decent amps and or dacs use and go well with the 701s ? I've been looking at the DV336SE too, looks ok but as far as I can tell no USB.

If you're computer is your music source, you will need an digital-to-analog (D/A) converter first.

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #20 of 56
The sound cards D/A converters are 20Hz to 20kHz, the analog SS and even the tube amps they expended higher, and in some cases lower then 20/20. Like the SPL Phonitor, Frequency Response:10Hz to 200 kHz (-3dB) lol, and this is very impressive FR with dynamic range of 129,5 dB.

Jul 25, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #21 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound cards D/A converters are 20Hz to 20kHz, the analog SS and even the tube amps they expended higher, and in some cases lower then 20/20. Like the SPL Phonitor, Frequency Response:10Hz to 200 kHz (-3dB) lol, and this is very impressive FR with dynamic range of 129,5 dB.

The Essence ST range is from 10 hertz to 90 Khz. Though it starts to dip at 19 khz.

Jul 25, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #22 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buzz.... So how are you guys driving the K701 from the Essense?

Which headphone amp?

From what I read the Essence cards have onboard headphone amplifier with swappable op-amps. My Auzen drives my lower impedance JVC HA-RX's quite well, but iirc the essence has a tad more power in the amp section than the auzen, plus the auzen isn't shielded...though i don't notice any static or buzzing, when nothing is playing, there is nothing else making noise in my system.

beerchug.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #23 of 56
Quote:

The Essence ST range is from 10 hertz to 90 Khz. Though it starts to dip at 19 khz.

Yep, looks like they improve the Cirrus Logic. The Essence ST use the newer Cirrus Logic D/A converters.

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #24 of 56
Actually they use one of if not the best burr brown DAC. Creative usually use Cirrus Logic
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #26 of 56
Quote:

so DACs, if I need one, which would most be good along with whatever I decide to get for an amp?

If you decide to get an amp, most of the sounds cards will do the D/A job.
You also can check the Essences with the K701 combo, very cheap for a great start. You always can add a better amp.

Jul 27, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #27 of 56
Quote:

Actually they use one of if not the best burr brown DAC. Creative usually use Cirrus Logic
smily_headphones1.gif

Better then the Cirrus Logic D/A will be the Apogee and the RME, and they are in a different cla$$.

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #28 of 56
how do you think DACMagic and DV336SE partner up with the K701s? I've been looking at those and I like what I see and what I've read about both components, but is it also true that if matched with the K701s tube amps aren't the answer?

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #29 of 56
i currently really like the D10/K701 combo. the Heed had really nice layering and sounded really smooth and musical. the D10 is very detailed, nice and accurate soundstage, and really brings out the nice qualities of the K701.

the combo can be had for under $600 plus the D10 is super versatile being a portable stand alone dac, amp, or usb sound card. the dac itself is really nice and competent for a main rig setup. that goes for the amp as well.

Jul 27, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #30 of 56
Quote:

how do you think DACMagic and DV336SE partner up with the K701s? I've been looking at those and I like what I see and what I've read about both components, but is it also true that if matched with the K701s tube amps aren't the answer?

No, this is not true. Perhaps in the $200 range it is. You can get world class tube amps that will drive every dynamic headphone effortlessly.

In the price range of $200-300, there won't be enough power supply in a tube amp to run reference headphones to capability. In that price, a hybrid will give you tube sound with solid state amping. This would be the best bang if you want tubes in the chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back