~AKG K618DJ~ Discussion & Review Thread
Jan 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #152 of 174
I have bought this headphone. My review:

Build quality
Build quality seems to be on the positive side of average. It feels solid and the mechanism to turn the cups seems to be rigid too. The headphones do feel a bit plastic though. It's made entirely out of plastic. The mechanism to extend the headband is a bit stiff but at least it doesn't move by accident and it makes it feel solid. The plug on the wire feels a bit cheap

8/10

Mobility and comfort
The reason I am putting these 2 aspects together is because sometimes those 2 aspects are on other ends of the scale. For example how much the headband clamps. A mobile headphone should clamp more than a headphone that is used at home. When you're mobile you're moving. You want to prevent the headphone falling off while not compromising too much on comfort. I think the K619 has hit a sweetspot. The headband can move a bit if you bend over or so, but the earcups will stay in place. You will have to try really hard to make it fall off. I think less clamping force would make it fall off faster. As it is it's comfortable enough.

Another aspect is earcup size. The most comfortable is if the cups fit around your ear. This makes the headphones pretty big, heavier and look a bit more ridiculous on the streets. So the cups are on-ear. But they are of reasonable size so it partly falls over your ears anyway. The pads are thick, nice and comfy. The (fake?)leather however can make it a bit warm if listening for a longer period. Padding of the headband is a bit thin but that's no problem. The clamping force and low weight means you will not feel anything hard on the top of your head.

A nice feature of this headphone is the mic and remote control of the headphone. Haven't tried the mic yet. I have tried the controls on a HTC Desire Z and even though the controls are meant for Apple products, play/pause worked. So accepting a call will probably work too. It adds no significant weight. Besides this the cable is on only one side of the headphone.

Isolation is another part. You want to keep external sound out and don't bother other people with your music. The isolation for the user seems to work best for mid and high tones and it works reasonably well. For bystanders it's not better than average. Keep in mind that I am not giving a rating for outright comfort here but for how good the compromise between comfort and mobility is.

8,5/10

Sound
If you like neutral sound then stop reading. This is not the headphone for you. If you don't like extra bass, again, stop reading. This headphone seems to be aimed at having fun when listening. The overal character of the headphone is very bassy and laid-back.

The bass is a chapter on it's own. It is VERY pronounced. It hits HARD. It goes deep too in my opinion. The range of the boosted part of the bass is pretty low and that I like. I also like the quality of the bass. But for some music the quantity is just too much even though I do like to have some extra bass. For example, Coldplay an Simone White are a bit bloated with bass while bass is not a prominent part of the music. Some songs have so little bass however that the extra bit won't bother that much. With electric music the bass is more at home. Because it hits so hard it makes for a more fun listening experience if you like deep and hard bass. But even so, with some electric music it sometimes becomes too much. House, hardcore (the house-variant), hardstyle and techno sound really good in the bass department.

The sound is reasonable detailed. You can hear guitar strings being touched and the subtle sounds of singing like breathing etc. Soundstaging is ok too but not it's strong point imho. I think the treble is rolled of too much. Sometimes the music sounds muffled and sparkle is missing. This does not only consider acoustical music but also trance.

As a whole I appreciate what AKG tried, but the whole experience is a bit too rolled of in the treble department and too overwhelming in the bass department I think. But it still makes for a fun listening experience and when the music is right the bass hits hard and makes for a nice extra.

7,5 / 10

In the end it makes for a total score of 7,875 out of 10.

Still not sure wether to return this headphone or not...

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #155 of 174
Discovered something just now when listening to drum 'n bass.

O
M
F
G

This headphone will fill your life with happiness and even more low bass if you're into DnB! You will go crazy of joy :D

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #156 of 174
My Mrs has bought me a set of the K619's for my birthday so I need to wait 2 weeks to get them.  Thankfully though she's a kind soul and let me have a quick listen last night.  I should say that these are my first pair of "proper" headphones although I have been quick to ditch the buds which come with phones for Sennheiser CX-300 II's and recently Soundmagic E10's with Comply tips.

Having spent many an afternoon listening to the limted stock HMV has I wanted a set of beats and then I found Head-Fi....  I liked the bass of the Pro but after getting a chance to listen to other cans I found the comments about the muddy bass to be correct and the more I listened the more I could understand the comments being made.  I toyed with the idea of K550's and M50's specifically but couldn't find anywhere local to try them.  I eventually got a listen to AKG K512 MkII's and was really taken with the sound but they lacked a bit of low end. 

With all that in mind I decided I wanted AKGs, my Mrs set a limit and I took the plunge with the K619's beacuse I liked the reviews of the K618 DJ's and thought the sound signature would suit my taste. 

Well, straight out the box and I'm delighted.  First up was Watch the Throne - N*gg*z in Paris (apologies if that offends anyone but it's the name of the song) and the low end was brilliant, exactly what I wanted, nice rumble to the really low stuff with tighter, punch on the (I suppose) mid bass.  Vocals and highs really strong too.  Next up was some XX - VCR and Crystalised.  I heard things in those songs that I've never heard before.  The XX are a great band who really use the whole spectrum of sound in their tracks and these cans really impressed me.  Last up was some Pipe Band stuff and having played in bands since I was a kid I've never really enjoyed the recordings because I always find things missing, specifically the mid or bass section, the pipes and snare lines not allowing the subtle tones to come through.  Again, the K619's did a brilliant job and listening to the recordings was like being there on the day.

The only thing I would say is that the clamp is tight and I had to fully extend them to fit, if you've a big head then these wont be for you, unless your ears are freakishly high up.  The cable is thin but as these are for mobile use I can live with that quite comfortably.

All in all I'm delighted and if there are better cans out there then I think my Mrs is gonna regret getting me these!  As I mentioned I'm a newbie and this was only a 10-15 minute listen but right out of the box I'm happy and with AKG's needing some running to really come to life, there's more to come.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #159 of 174
Quote:
quote.gif

Discovered something just now when listening to drum 'n bass.

O
M
F
G

This headphone will fill your life with happiness and even more low bass if you're into DnB! You will go crazy of joy :D

Can you post a youtube example? I'm in DnB too, not sure what is your definition tho

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #161 of 174
just tried K67 and K619 today in the store, can't say I found any spesific difference (except the price, the k619's about 20$ more expensive here somehow)
thought it would reach about 120$ but turns out it exceeds to about 160$ :frowning2:
probably gonna go for the K67 in my next wave of cash :D
hope I'm not that wrong in this decision tho.

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #162 of 174
Anyone else joined the K618/K619 party?

I can differentiate the K67 and the K619 rite from the first listen but it is undeniable that they are siblings with just a few technical tweaks inside to separate the two. After some burn in I'm beginning to tilt towards the sound signature of K618/K619 for some added openness and mid-range details. Both excels in sub-bass, with the K67 harder hitting.

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #163 of 174
Quote:
just tried K67 and K619 today in the store, can't say I found any spesific difference (except the price, the k619's about 20$ more expensive here somehow)
thought it would reach about 120$ but turns out it exceeds to about 160$
frown.gif

probably gonna go for the K67 in my next wave of cash
biggrin.gif

hope I'm not that wrong in this decision tho.

K619 has a mic, so that bumps up the price a little.

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #164 of 174
Anyone else joined the K618/K619 party?

I can differentiate the K67 and the K619 rite from the first listen but it is undeniable that they are siblings with just a few technical tweaks inside to separate the two. After some burn in I'm beginning to tilt towards the sound signature of K618/K619 for some added openness and mid-range details. Both excels in sub-bass, with the K67 harder hitting.

only tried a demo and a few selected songs (Buble, A-track etc), didn't ask about burn-ins
but yeah K67 is my pick, and in my opinion they look better. But K619's not bad either :D
K619 has a mic, so that bumps up the price a little.

yeah, but personally imagining using them in public (calling/receiving calls) it's very unpleasant
because to others I'd be like "what the.. he's calling with a headphone?". And I definitely would think that if one were using headphones for calling purposes lol.
either way I don't think the price bump is worth the money. Unless you have too much money to spend that is.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #165 of 174
Headfonics review has been posted.

Quote:
Personally if you are a basshead looking for a well built and solid performing bass tuned and fun headphone without breaking the bank the K618DJ is a very attractive option. I am not sure existing K518 users need to consider an upgrade unless the clamp was a huge issue and most likely that will mean yes for many. There are other options out there like the Superlux 631 and the Noontec Zoro that are cheaper but the K618DJ just looks classier compared to both and build wise I might give the nod to the K618 over the two cheaper options not to mention size and form factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back