~AKG K618DJ~ Discussion & Review Thread
Sep 10, 2012 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 174

Cristello

100+ Head-Fier

618DJ -- The K550's little cousin?

http://us.akg.com/akg-product-detail-us/k618dj.html

What’s in the box:
  1. 1 set of AKG K618 DJ headphones
  2. 1 1/8" to 1/4" (3.5mm to 6.3mm) jack adapter -- Added photo of plug and adaptor (9-25-2012)
  3. 1 5' 11" (1.8m) cable
  4. 1 carrying bag

Audio Features/Specifications:

Frequency Response        16Hz - 24kHz
Maximum Input Power 2000 mW
Input Impedance 32 ohms

Weight                               211 grams

Additional Photos:

Some User Photographs: post #52

Quotes from AKG product page:
"What do DJs look for in headphones? Long-wearing comfort and portability. What do they listen for? Sound quality, pure and simple. AKG® K618 DJ headphones have all of these qualities. Even at low listening levels, these headphones offer remarkable clarity and performance..."

"For convenience, the K618 DJs feature a 3D-Axis folding mechanism that makes the headphones easy to transport and store, plus a single-sided cable that resists tangling..."

My Thoughts on the appearance and the design direction of AKG...

This new addition to AKG's small but capable DJ-line of headphones is quite a stylistic departure from the company's previous offerings, such as the K81DJ[K518LE] and, its beefier brother, the K181DJ.

The overall look to me is very reminiscent of the still young K550. Just going by the press photos alone, these appear to have MUCH sturdier construction when compared to its previous K-series brethren. However, the folding mechanism and headband have yet to be confirmed as to whether or not they are made of plastic or metal. -- Added headband photo; The headband seems almost identical to the K550's. My guess is metal inner band, just like the K550, but with thick plastic covering. (YEP... seems I guessed right. Confirmed by Speakerphile >> here)

NOTE: SOME USERS HAVE COMPLAINED OF JOINT/HEADBAND CRACKING. WHILE EACH INDIVIDUAL'S USAGE MAY VARY, IT IS WISE TO TREAT THESE WITH MODERATE CARE. ABUSE USUALLY RESULTS IN DESTRUCTION (Especially so, being made of hard plastic and only mildly reinforced...)

Regardless, I admire and praise AKG for easily showing up their more mainstream competitors (*cough**cough*Beats*cough*). I think this new look screams classy utilitarianism, as opposed to the chintzy reflective plastic that has adorned many recent headphones.

[I WOULD buy it in another color if they gave this pair the LE treatment. It's just something about that kind of color contrast that excites me...]
-- surprise, surprise! Turns out that AKG was waiting for IFA to unveil the accompanying K619 that comes in multiple colors and includes a iPhone compatible 3-button, in-line microphone. (for all intents and purposes, I will assume identical sound)

The five color options, besides black, are shown below... (Pictures originally posted by ViralCow >> here)

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 174
Reserved for consolidating future impressions and owner's comments...

Speakerphile (as of 10-2-2012)
Quote:
Listening to the K619 right now... bass heavy can... also very crisp though...  Mid-range is fairly well-defined as well... they are pretty fun to listen to... 

They seem to be pretty well made, especially at this price point...  Clamping force is a little harsh, though the ear pads do a decent job dissipating the pressure... I will say that build quality is much better than the K81. (That's not really hard though
biggrin.gif
)...

One odd thing...  I have to fully extend the adjustable headband to fit my head... some may find these to be too small... 
EDIT... just tried on a set of K81's...  Exact same thing...

AlphaRedFox (as of 10-13-2012)
Quote:
Pros: Really comfortable... great fit... fluent sounds.
Cons: Start to hurt your ears after an hour...

Overall, these are really great headphones... The headphones sound pretty amazing for the 100 dollar price tag, and I have to admit, they look more than they're worth...

The only real problems I have with these is that they will serve a little bit of pain after around of hour of use, but that's not really an issue in my opinion.

unboxinghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzmRptOcb3w

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 174
wow these look nice... I hope they will be as affordable as the little brother, we need some affordable entry level options right now.. as all the new headphones are the top of the line and super expensive nowadays.
thanks for sharing!

cheers,

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 174
Quote:
Yes, I know what you mean...
If you get them in, would you be willing to give some impressions as to any changes sonically?

Yeah, I will write a short impression. 
I'm creating an account now and I'm going to order it while it's on back order.
Hopefully it be back in stock soon.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 174
Kinda looks like the Tiesto headphones:

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #10 of 174
They look nice... I don't see the earpads as being replaceable though... right??

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #11 of 174
Wow. I really do like the design direction AKG is going recently- the K550, the K495NC's, K3003, and now these. 

Hope they sound as good as they look. I'm still waiting on a new AKG flagship... the K/Q70X just don't cut it these days anymore.

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #14 of 174
Quote:
As a avid computer hobbyist, I LOVE the idea of new-new-new. However, I disagree that the q701 does not cut it anymore. the K/Q701(and 702) are great open headphones and very cost competitive today. How much better would you say the HD800 or LCD-3 are than these? 10%? 20%? Yet those model cost several times the AKG's! There is always a sweet spot range for value in any technological market, audio being no different. I buy headphones because they have more flexible use than speakers and have better value, not just because they cost more or give me "status".

I think he wasn't talking about value. There are always someone searching the best performance, not value.

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #15 of 174
Quote:
 I think he wasn't talking about value. There are always someone searching the best performance, not value.

This. Don't get me wrong, I love both the K550 and the K701, and there's nothing wrong with playing the "value" card. But as an AKG fanboy I just wish they had something that competed with high-end Senn's or Beyer's or the like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back