~AKG K618DJ~ Discussion & Review Thread
Dec 20, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #137 of 174
  Hello

A few questions if i may:

- Has the headband held up alright or has it cracked for some of you?

- I do not like the cord. Has anyone "modded" this in order to use a detachable cable with it. Or are the cups too small??

I listened to these recently and thought they sounded good.( very crisp sound).

Thanks!

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #142 of 174
Quote:

But isn't this the case with virtually *every* portable headphone?

Well, the 5 foot long cord is definitely not optimal (snagging) in this case. A 36"- 40" cable would be much better and compared to my HM3 cable, it's very thin and looks more prone to damage if it does snag. 

I would buy these and pay to have these made to accept a detachable cable if it can be done.

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #143 of 174
Hey guys,

I'm new to the board and a new found low/mid-fi guy, if I'm to name myself propely 
o2smile.gif
. I've had the AKG K518 DJ for about 6 months and enjoyed them very much because of their ability to produce wonderful mid-bass and almost equally good sub-bass sound. Yesterday I drove by my local electronics store and spotted the AKG K67 for about 100$ , which I thought was quite affordable (I'm in the EU so it's cheap) so I decided to to give it a go and bought myself a pair. 

My initial impression was that the K67 sounded like the K518 DJ phone, but the bass is more controlled and well-defined and not such as boomy as on the K518 DJ. The mids and treble are also more textured and defined so to speak and is a bit a of a step up from the K518. I primarily listen to to House/Disco/Liquid D'n'B music, so I'm more prone to give and impression on the EDM side for the K67. Rock/acoustic/pop/metal/classical etc isn't really my style of music and I'm not therefore not giving an impression as to how the K67 performs with these genres. I also can't state if the K67 has a similar sound to the K167 as I haven't heard/listened to the phone. 

More on the sound signature then; as I've stated the sound is quite similar to the K518 but more refined with a more controlled bass signature. The overall sound of the K67 is a bit veiled/dark and so was the K518 before it opened up and the drivers got "burnt-in" and things will surely improve as the phones get more burned it, circa >50 hours or so. They are "just" somewhat less sensitive than the K518 as to how loud they will play unamped and I'm only using a Asus Xonar DX as my music source which has great sound quality to my ears at least. I don't know as if the phones would benefit from being amped through a dedicated amplifier/DAC, but they should be easily driven on iPhone/iPod or such.

Comfort wise the K67 is on par with the K518 as it's somewhat heavier but better padded around the frame. They still clamp a bit but cushions/pads are better and softer then on the K518, so that's an improvement over the K518. I've solved padding issue with applying some gauze/bandage on the head band to make it softer, not so stylish to be honest but clearly more comfortable 
biggrin.gif

On the whole I'm quite pleased with the buy and I consider it to be an upgrade for those who still enjoy the K518 house sound and are looking for a similar sound and sound signature, engaging and fun bassy cans with adequate mids and treble which never become tiring or too sibiliant.

If you've got any questions, I'd be happy to answer them to the extent of my knowledge. I'm not an expert by a long shot if you're after frequency charts and such 
smile.gif

Btw, I'm browsing through some Prince tracks and they do sound clear and fun on the K67 for those interested :wink:.

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #145 of 174
Ok, I got k619 about week ago. So far I can say, that they are more comfortable than k518, but a little less than solo hd. The sound is pretty much the same as solo hd, a little less treble, also lack of very low bass. In this aspect I expected more, but I cannot really complain, because the are cheaper then solo hd. (new k619-85€ vs new solo hd 140€). I also have to wait for burn-in. Remote work well with iphone 5, but they should play music louder. Overall good buy, recommend.

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #146 of 174
The 618 is not lacking mid or sub bass at all, it hits hard when the song calls for it and at times even when it doesn't, albeit not at car subwoofer levels. So much so that, if you venture out and try non-mainstream music that at times the bass seems separated from the rest of the song. This seems to be AKG's attempt at targeting the beats market. At half the price, and with better looks it's a pretty good buy.
rolleyes.gif

For me, they sound the same now as they did when i got them a few weeks ago.

One side of the headband adjuster is loose and pops out of place constantly. Might just have to return these.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #148 of 174
I would say that the AKG K67 at least has better and more prominent sub-bass then the K518-model and a bit less mid-bass for those who aquire a sound with a noticable sub-bass signature.

Although I can't confirm that this applies for K619 but it should since the K67 is based on the K618 from I what I've heard and read.

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #149 of 174
Quote:
I would say that the AKG K67 at least has better and more prominent sub-bass then the K518-model and a bit less mid-bass for those who aquire a sound with a noticable sub-bass signature.

Although I can't confirm that this applies for K619 but it should since the K67 is based on the K618 from I what I've heard and read.

The K67 got some serious sub-bass oomph factor there. Elevated yes, bloated no. The bass sounds fairly linear from sub-bass to upper-mid bass so nothing is missed and nothing sound unnatural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back