~AKG K618DJ~ Discussion & Review Thread
Oct 31, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #93 of 174
Quote:
Ahh, well in defense of AKG, a larger plug diameter is needed to fit the 1/4" adaptor!
(Most people might not need the quarter inch type, but these are DJ headphones. Hence, the larger jacket...)

So....why is the plug on the K518 thin and fits any case/bumper? They are DJ headphones too? It would still fit the adapter....

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #94 of 174
So....why is the plug on the K518 thin and fits any case/bumper? They are DJ headphones too? It would still fit the adapter....

Neither one of these are REAL DJ headphones. The fact of the matter is, they don't always think about whether or not it will fit in a phone with a case. For one, they can't possibly know the dimensions of every single case. Two, it is a relatively inexpensive headphone, so they probably aren't going to spend a lot of money researching which plug to use. And lastly, part of this is on Apple. They certify items to use the "Made for iPhone" logo. Clearly, they do not have, or are not enforcing, specifications to allow for the use of aftermarket headphones with the different cases that are available. Just to be fair, I will also say that the case manufacturers are partially to blame, since they could have easily designed their case to accommodate a larger plug. In the end, my point is that you can't place the blame solely on AKG.

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #96 of 174
Quote:
...In the end, my point is that you can't place the blame solely on AKG.

I'm not trying to obnoxious...but...

- It does not take *research* to figure out...already the iPhone 4 and 4S are slim....and that connection has been around for ages.
- Just any other headset or headphone I have seen take this fact for granted: make it slim. It just so .... obvious? Seriously?
- For the K618 (no headset function)... ok, I'll give you that...but for the K619?
- They could not have found a single case that it would fit...it's thicker than the whole phone.

They didn't even look at the phone, let alone research...I think they were just plain stupid. But hey, everyone has their view, it's cool! :)

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #97 of 174
Quote:

I'm not trying to obnoxious...but...

- It does not take *research* to figure out...already the iPhone 4 and 4S are slim....and that connection has been around for ages.
- Just any other headset or headphone I have seen take this fact for granted: make it slim. It just so .... obvious? Seriously?
- For the K618 (no headset function)... ok, I'll give you that...but for the K619?
- They could not have found a single case that it would fit...it's thicker than the whole phone.

They didn't even look at the phone, let alone research...I think they were just plain stupid. But hey, everyone has their view, it's cool! :)

AKG is certainly partially at fault for being negligent with their designs.  No question.  I was simply pointing out that there are MANY factors that contribute to the problem.   

Nov 2, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #98 of 174

Exactly this! When AKG state "A three-button remote lets you control the playback functions from your Apple device." then you'd at least expect it to fit your Apple device, even with a case on. I know not everyone uses a case on their iPhone, but I'd say the majority do.

Nov 5, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #99 of 174
Hello everybody,

I going to buy a new headphone after have broke my akg k518dj cable.

I hesitating between two headphone, the ath pro700mk2 and the new akg k618dj. But i'am afraid of the cable reliability.

I would like a removing cable.

In sound term, i like bass not a boomy headphone.

ps : sorry for my terrible english, i'am french..

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #101 of 174
Thank you very much ! 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #103 of 174
Heh scroll back a few pages.  I just compared those two.  To strengthen the cable, you can use cable sleeving (like the kind for PC modding) and heatshrink the ends to hold it in place.  I will do that to mine when I get my new ones in.  Thin cables tend to snag easier because they don't lay flat.  This maks me rage.
Quote:
Hello everybody,

I going to buy a new headphone after have broke my akg k518dj cable.

I hesitating between two headphone, the ath pro700mk2 and the new akg k618dj. But i'am afraid of the cable reliability.

I would like a removing cable.

In sound term, i like bass not a boomy headphone.

ps : sorry for my terrible english, i'am french..

Also earlier, someone mentioned about the plug.  I didn't like that the plug has no grip or grooves on the connector.  An easy fix is just electrical tape around it for some grip.

Also also, I saw that the new Tiesto line has a midrange model that is an over the ear version of the lower end model.  Does anyone know if it's just a bigger ear cup with the same specs as the on the ear?

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #104 of 174
According to a guy on youtube, the K618DJ's headband is made of thin plastic and is "hollow"- and thus prone to cracking, especially near the extender area. Can anyone confirm this here? I'm especially worried because I believe the same body is going to be used on the K67 Tiesto headphones.

Thanks!

Nov 23, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #105 of 174
I still did not understand whats the difference between K618 and K619, besides the 6 colors vs 1 color. Do they have the same drivers? Do they sound the same? I'm asking since I loved the Red one and I wish they sound the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back