AKG K601...my first poth here :)
Sep 6, 2010 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

*nocturne

New Head-Fier
Hi guys! 
Im from Russia, and I'm sorry for my eng, but i really need your help! 
I have AKG K601 cans and i also have Asus Xonar ST. Is this rig bad for jazz, blues, classical and classic/prog rock? This card not bad, but its too bright in "high's", it nervous me very mucth! I cant enjoy the music. So i have 350$ (not more) and i wanna buy a new good amp, but i dunno which is real good for my cans...? So, can u tell me, what is better in these price or may be in 350$ there isnt good amplifiers for K601? 
I love warm and comfortable sound...I prefer: Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd, Oscar Peterson, Dire Straits, Mozart, Beethoven, Grieg, Herbie Hancock, etc :))
I wish, that u will help me, guys )

Sep 6, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 10
Well I also own the AKG K601, run from a little Dot MKII valve headphone amp, source being a laptop > Fubar II USB DAC.

I have to say that I love my setup, play all sorts of music and it sounds just fine.  Maybe you should think about changing your headphones for something else, maybe a Grado SR 225i or 325i would give a slightly warmer sound from your soundcard.  I have heard the AKG's are hard to drive so maybe not a good match for the Asus card.

Richie

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Well I also own the AKG K601, run from a little Dot MKII valve headphone amp.

David at Little Dot recommended the I+ hybrid amp for my 601's. I plan to try one around months end. 

Sep 6, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 10
Ive been somewhat interested in the 601s. I need a good open back set of cans but haven't been able to find ones that I like. People say the 601s are pretty smooth sounding and not bright like the 701s. Is this true?

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 10
What is a "poth"? 

smile.gif

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Ive been somewhat interested in the 601s. I need a good open back set of cans but haven't been able to find ones that I like. People say the 601s are pretty smooth sounding and not bright like the 701s. Is this true?

Yeah, they are very smooth..maybe a little too smooth for my liking. But they are soooo comfy.
For me they are best at accoustic music, for rock maybe not - a little dull for anything heavy.
I like them though.

Sep 7, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:

Yeah, they are very smooth..maybe a little too smooth for my liking. But they are soooo comfy.
For me they are best at accoustic music, for rock maybe not - a little dull for anything heavy.
I like them though.

AKG K601's sound great for acoustic & light rock.  I think i'll give it a year or so before buying a set of Grado SR325i's to accompany them - something for my more heavy rock musical taste.  At the moment, just enjoying the AKG's.

Sep 7, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

AKG K601's sound great for acoustic & light rock.  I think i'll give it a year or so before buying a set of Grado SR325i's to accompany them - something for my more heavy rock musical taste.  At the moment, just enjoying the AKG's.

I have yet to experience my 601's fully. With previous impression posts here I think a different phone would better suit me since I listen mostly to Classic Rock. Have often thought about Grado's in the past but seem to dismiss them because of reports of them being bright. 

It now appears they might be a viable choice. What do you gain in the above referenced 325's over the 225? 

Also which Little dot amp would be an appropriate mate for them? The I+ or II?

Sep 9, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #9 of 10
Ok, ty guys!
I'll think about a brand new amp for them, but i know - my headphones are so good...yestarday i was listne Jethro Tull - I heard a good open sound in my cans on this prog rock )))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back