AKG K553 Pro vs. AKG K550 MK II (and thoughts on the AKG K550 "MK I")
Feb 26, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #46 of 63
I hear you. But then I look at the details:

iconNeg_16x16.gif
Never received my earphones
JBL - On Ear Wireless Headphones T450 (#391913904261)

iconNeg_16x16.gif
Wrong item was delivered. Contacting the seller to send me the right item
HARMAN KARDON HKTS 30BQ - 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Home Theatre System - Black (#201672253587)

iconNeg_16x16.gif
HORIIBLE!!! Haven't received, Won't respond. Been 2 weeks!!!! False 2 days ship
JBL - On Ear Foldable Extra Bass Headphones T450 White (#152787301370)

iconNeg_16x16.gif
be very careful not to buying anything from this seller, send missing item OHH
JBL FLIP 4 - Waterproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker (#152619219286) US $69.99

iconNeg_16x16.gif
Today the speaker left to work ! Do not buy this ítems !!!

iconNeg_16x16.gif
Terrible product! Terrible service!

iconNeg_16x16.gif
Bait and Switch. Delayed refund. Insisted we settle transaction outside ebay.
JBL CHARGE 3 - Waterproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker (#152638851318)

Honestly, if the price was better, I'd consider it. But I can pay less than $10 more, still get at least a 30 day return window, from a much more highly rated seller.

It's all about supply and demand. :)

Ok FINE. I guess if it's only $10 more then F it. LOL

Some of those reviews could be fake too. I know people who have businesses who get fake bad reviews on purpose. But anyway, go for the other one then. lol

Feb 26, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #47 of 63
Just negotiated for a pair of new K553 Pro's, not refurb, for $125 from a 100% feedback seller. :D So it all worked out in the end.

Jun 26, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #50 of 63
What about the new and not covered AKG model of 'K553 MKII' I read it somewhere it has more headband padding than the original version but compared to previous models how much padding it has actually? I'd appreciate if anyone can inform me, thanks.

Hey Brec,

This video has some great info, including info on changes in the sound quality (mids & highs) in the last half of the video. With regards to the padding, at 1:35, he says the padding is "very minimal, but doesn't seem to cause any discomfort". The issue there is, it doesn't appear they added anything to it. Yeah, it's a decent amount of padding still from what I remember of the K553 Pro, but I still preferred the extra amount the K550 series has. But the changes to the mids and highs MIGHT make it worthwhile, esp if you try it out and are ok with the amount of padding there.

Hope this helped!

Jun 26, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #51 of 63
Hey Brec,

This video has some great info, including info on changes in the sound quality (mids & highs) in the last half of the video. With regards to the padding, at 1:35, he says the padding is "very minimal, but doesn't seem to cause any discomfort". The issue there is, it doesn't appear they added anything to it. Yeah, it's a decent amount of padding still from what I remember of the K553 Pro, but I still preferred the extra amount the K550 series has. But the changes to the mids and highs MIGHT make it worthwhile, esp if you try it out and are ok with the amount of padding there.

Hope this helped!
Thanks for a very fast reply and for the informative video you provided in the first place, RockStar2005. What I've read from two different sources is that getting a right seal can be tricky, however, it stops from going beyond than that once you get a good seal. But according to the demonstration from this video, every time you have to manually adjust the huge and soft ear-cups to really fit over your ears;

(I know the version tested is not MKII but ever since the ear-cups' diameter still applies at the same length...)
I think this is more of a respectable annoyance to be counted rather than the thin head padding I asked in my previous message I believe. Other than that MKII should be an improvement over the previous models in terms of sound.

As a side note my interest for this model coming after a search in order to find what would be the next bracket for a replacement for Sony V6 - mainly for listening to metal music.
But then again, I'm not sure if it would be a noticeable difference...

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #52 of 63
Thanks for a very fast reply and for the informative video you provided in the first place, RockStar2005. What I've read from two different sources is that getting a right seal can be tricky, however, it stops from going beyond than that once you get a good seal. But according to the demonstration from this video, every time you have to manually adjust the huge and soft ear-cups to really fit over your ears;

(I know the version tested is not MKII but ever since the ear-cups' diameter still applies at the same length...)
I think this is more of a respectable annoyance to be counted rather than the thin head padding I asked in my previous message I believe. Other than that MKII should be an improvement over the previous models in terms of sound.

As a side note my interest for this model coming after a search in order to find what would be the next bracket for a replacement for Sony V6 - mainly for listening to metal music.
But then again, I'm not sure if it would be a noticeable difference...

You're welcome my friend!

Well the V6 is around $75, so I'm guessing you're looking at the $100-$200 bracket then, right?

For that, I am referring to my running list of headphones that I have going:

Brainwavz HM5
Koss Pro4S
Beyerdynamic DT770 (80 ohm, Limited Black Edition or Regular one with gray earpads)
Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 (S2) headphones WITH the Ablet Replacement OVER-EAR Earpads (a must as the P5s are on-ear which sux lol) & optional: the NEOMUSICIA Replacement cable for the P5 S2 as well

Look each up online to see prices and reviews. These are just alternatives to the K55X series. You can just ignore that list too.

The HM5 I believe is more neutral like the K55X, where the others I think have some warmth (aka bass) to them, but only varying levels. The P5s probably have the most bass, but you can always EQ that out the way I do on my P7s. (Scroll down to my EQs or "Magic EQ" section. lol) Even with the replacement pads for the P5s, comfort may still be an issue. My P7s are comfortable (also over-ear), but not the most comfy. So I too am looking elsewhere yet not sure what I want.

The thing is, despite what the video said about the "improvements" in the mids and highs on the K553 MKII, I still wonder if I'd (or you lol) even notice the difference to be honest. I'd rather have the headphones with the extra padding. lol So, since the K550 MKIII and the K553 MKII are currently the SAME price on AKG's website, I'd go with the K550 MKIII. Both have the awesome detachable cables (and you can find shorter ones on Amazon too like this one), but that padding might be a blessing in the long run.

Let me know if you need more help.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #53 of 63
You're welcome my friend!

Well the V6 is around $75, so I'm guessing you're looking at the $100-$200 bracket then, right?

For that, I am referring to my running list of headphones that I have going:

Brainwavz HM5
Koss Pro4S
Beyerdynamic DT770 (80 ohm, Limited Black Edition or Regular one with gray earpads)
Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 (S2) headphones WITH the Ablet Replacement OVER-EAR Earpads (a must as the P5s are on-ear which sux lol) & optional: the NEOMUSICIA Replacement cable for the P5 S2 as well

Look each up online to see prices and reviews. These are just alternatives to the K55X series. You can just ignore that list too.

The HM5 I believe is more neutral like the K55X, where the others I think have some warmth (aka bass) to them, but only varying levels. The P5s probably have the most bass, but you can always EQ that out the way I do on my P7s. (Scroll down to my EQs or "Magic EQ" section. lol) Even with the replacement pads for the P5s, comfort may still be an issue. My P7s are comfortable (also over-ear), but not the most comfy. So I too am looking elsewhere yet not sure what I want.

The thing is, despite what the video said about the "improvements" in the mids and highs on the K553 MKII, I still wonder if I'd (or you lol) even notice the difference to be honest. I'd rather have the headphones with the extra padding. lol So, since the K550 MKIII and the K553 MKII are currently the SAME price on AKG's website, I'd go with the K550 MKIII. Both have the awesome detachable cables (and you can find shorter ones on Amazon too like this one), but that padding might be a blessing in the long run.

Let me know if you need more help.
I have to eliminate the ones that are not so comfy because I'm going to use them for around at least 2 hours...Beyerdynamic DT770 should be very comfy but it is also V-shaped....

I think I'm going to stick with the safe grounds: V6. Of all the reviews I've read, it is nominated as being maybe the best value pairs ever on the market. But I also read reviews for HM5 and then HRM-5;

https://medium.com/@Xander51/brainwavz-hm5-headphones-review-5954ec03fa40
https://medium.com/@Xander51/pioneer-dj-hrm-5-headphone-review-the-best-surprise-b0ec3c56116d

https://homestudiobasics.com/sony-mdr-7506-review-2/
https://homestudiobasics.com/sony-mdr-v6-studio-monitor-series-headphones-a-classic/

Don't know what is the difference between these two above models though.

I plan to order my closed over-ear headphones not before September so I can still keep my eye open for other models for a few more months. Thanks again for the heads up man, really glad that you shared your thoughts. I'd be interested in reading if you ever make up your mind by the time. Cheers!

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #54 of 63
I have to eliminate the ones that are not so comfy because I'm going to use them for around at least 2 hours...Beyerdynamic DT770 should be very comfy but it is also V-shaped....

I think I'm going to stick with the safe grounds: V6. Of all the reviews I've read, it is nominated as being maybe the best value pairs ever on the market. But I also read reviews for HM5 and then HRM-5;

https://medium.com/@Xander51/brainwavz-hm5-headphones-review-5954ec03fa40
https://medium.com/@Xander51/pioneer-dj-hrm-5-headphone-review-the-best-surprise-b0ec3c56116d

https://homestudiobasics.com/sony-mdr-7506-review-2/
https://homestudiobasics.com/sony-mdr-v6-studio-monitor-series-headphones-a-classic/

Don't know what is the difference between these two above models though.

I plan to order my closed over-ear headphones not before September so I can still keep my eye open for other models for a few more months. Thanks again for the heads up man, really glad that you shared your thoughts. I'd be interested in reading if you ever make up your mind by the time. Cheers!

Ok that's fine. I thought you WANTED an upgrade. The V6 is great from what I've read about it for its price range, but although a $100 or so increase won't mean much when you hit the 4-figure range, at that lower end, it WILL make a difference. I think you should continue to do research and figure out what you want and what you DON'T want from your headphones.

Again, you are welcome to use my "Magic EQ" (which requires a 10-band EQ), so I wouldn't worry too much about the V-shaped sound thing. My P7s were too bassy before and not great, but now they sound incredible!

From what I've read, the difference b/t the 7506 and the V6 is the bass. I believe the V6 is slightly warmer. Both headphones are super popular, esp the 7506s. I read somewhere that although BOTH headphones debuted in the 1980s, they still continue to sell like 10,000 a month! Part of the reason is the low cost but great quality (though not great comfort what I've heard of at least the 7506s), but also, the 7506s have been used probably the most often in studios. These pics show it all lol:

http://coolspotters.com/electronics/sony-mdr7506-professional-headphones/spots

https://www.google.com/search?q=son...lvTbAhVD4YMKHc_uBiQQ_AUICigB&biw=1229&bih=585

You're welcome Brec! Just keep at it and you will end up with something great I'm sure!

With regards to me, I FINALLY decided last night I am gonna go with the Shure SRH1540 over my B&W P7. Reasons being the Shures have better comfort and also better instrument separation due to the slightly wider soundstage. HOWEVER, a friend on here has convinced me to try out the portable electrostatic Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 headphones. Said their electrostatic drivers (and regular electrostats in general) are supposed to be superior to the traditional "dynamic speaker drivers" found in most headphones. So I ordered an open-box pair off Amazon last night for $395 and we'll see how they are vs. the Shures (and maybe will compare to P7s too)! The MJ2 require A TON of burn-in I guess (like 200 hours I'm reading?! lol), so the open-box makes more sense. And that's where I'm at right now. lol

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #55 of 63

Brec,

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mit...pressions-thread.828004/page-24#post-14339451

Skim that post. We'll see if I get the 1770 to audition as well or not. lol

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #56 of 63
Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #57 of 63
I'm definitely gonna skim that post, for the last week I was super busy, sorry about that. Wanted to return you earlier after thoroughly reading it but that didn't happen. Thanks man!

No big deal.

YW!

Current update: Still selling P7s on eBay, Shures were great but returned, actually got the Beyer DT-1770 Pro and currently auditioning that vs. the MJ2. I need 1-2 more sessions (1st one was last night.......gonna do another shortly) to determine which I like better. BOTH are fantastic, so it's not gonna be an easy call. Even harder than MJ2 vs. Shure. lol

I'll update again soon.

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #59 of 63
And the winner is............. lol
Hope those headphones would stick with you for a long time that warrants enough worth. Have always long blasts with those, man! And thanks a lot for taking your time to share your experience of course! Your passionate is quite readable from your every now and then posts for sure.

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #60 of 63
Hope those headphones would stick with you for a long time that warrants enough worth. Have always long blasts with those, man! And thanks a lot for taking your time to share your experience of course! Your passionate is quite readable from your every now and then posts for sure.

YW Brec!! And thanks!!!

So what're you using again? I forgot. lol I know they were something good though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back