AKG K550 Review.
Mar 25, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #287 of 330
If you want more neutral rather than the warm sound of the HD650's, the Beyerdynamic DT880's are in the $300 range. Or less, depending on which version you go for.

I found refurb HD600 for $280 what do you think? Would it be a better choice than the 880s and closer to the 650s sound?

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #288 of 330
If you want more neutral rather than the warm sound of the HD650's, the Beyerdynamic DT880's are in the $300 range. Or less, depending on which version you go for.

I found refurb HD600 for $280 what do you think? Would it be a better choice than the 880s and closer to the 650s sound?

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #289 of 330
Like I said, I don't think I heard the hd600's optimally. Try the hd600 appreciation thread; I'm sure they'll come up with a few points to push you over the edge.
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #290 of 330
Said this in the Appreciation/Discussion thread, want to say it again here as well. I just bought a used pair and I'm rather dissapointed in the fit and finish. The right cup has a different range of movement from the left cup but only in relation to the gimble. They sit on my head a little uneven due to this range of movement issue. I also find the headphone creaky when I flex them or spin the cups to 'flat'. 

Maybe its from being previously used but I don't think the fit and finish lives up to the reviews I've read of these cans. 

However sound-wise I'm not complaining. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #292 of 330
Apr 2, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #294 of 330
The cups may be too shallow for you. The pads are extremely soft and comfortable, but the cups are still much shallower, than, say the Beyer DT770's, which could be a comfort issue if your ears stick out a lot.

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #295 of 330
Not to mention you are going to have to press them down like suction cups when you wear them.

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #296 of 330
Bumping an oldish thread but have been doing some looking and wanted some comments from folks here:

I am looking at the K550's v. Beyerdynamic DT-770's (all different models) and possibly the ATH-50M's as well.  I am looking for a good headphone and one that isolates quite well, is able to be worn for decent amount of time and is comfortable for folks with glasses.

Does the K550 meet these needs or should I get one of the other options?

I will be listening to FLAC out of a mini computer that is connected to a Audio GD NFB-5 so I have amplification and a good DAC section so I can power any of these can's quite easy.

I listen to lots of different types of music like rock, rap, techno, dubstep, vocal.  I tend to not listen to tons of jazz or classical music.

I am hoping folks here can steer me in the right directino.

Apr 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #297 of 330
I own both the K550 and the DT770 Anniversary Edition (i.e. a 32Ohm version). Both are at my office desk, recently the K550 gets more head-time. Overall I'd say the DT770 has the more massive bass presentation while the K550 goes deep, is detailed but more neutral -- something I like even for bass-heavy genres but that might not be everybodys taste. I prefer the K550 also due to its more detailed and present mids and treble.

Isolation is quite good on both, the DT770 having the edge due to more clamping force I guess.

Comfort-wise its a bit complicated... the padding on the headband of the K550 is a bit thin. Most days thats not a problem, but sometimes its... not so good. The earpads are very nice, quite deep and soft. Some people seem to have problems getting a proper seal though...
The DT770 clamps more, has a bit smaller cups and the pads are a bit stiffer (at least in case of the AE, other versions seem to use velour). They are very comfortable nevertheless, the headband padding is better than on the K550. Can't judge the compatibility with glasses -- maybe both won't fit too good in that case.

If you're after a stronger bass presentation for EDM maybe start out with the DT770 (the 70Ohm version amy be the most ruthless in that regard as I've read). Otherwise the K550 might be a better fit.

May 9, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #298 of 330
Fantastic review. Personally I really enjoy my AKG K550 and it is amongst the best and most preferred of my headphones. Easy to drive, but benefits if driven through a headphone amplifier (as any other headphone, in my experience), very good sound isolation, and very crisp, clear and neutral. The only proviso is that these headphones really need to be properly seated on your ears, as without a proper seal the bass suffers most. Soundstage is also very good, and it actually sounds like an open headphones and not like a closed one. I have a small head, but have not had any problems with properly seating the headphone pads over my ears for proper sealing. So as you rightly say, money very well spent! What I would have really liked is to have a detachable cable for such a fantastic headphones.

May 25, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #299 of 330
I think people mean a special kind of soundstage, space or depth when describing these headphones. I've compared them to the Sennheiser HD 598 in a shop, and while the Sennheiser has a very classical soundstage where you can pinpoint everything in a virtual space and where everything seems very ordered and open, the AKG is very bright, clear, etc. all that others have said, BUT it has zero soundstage, zero space, and I have no clue where anything is coming from. Everything is upfront or "in your head" as the reviewer has described. They sound extremely different, and while I see the merits of the AKG, and I'm actually now looking for headphones with a similar sound as opposed to the Sennheiser dryness, the lack of any orientation and their flatness leave their purchase out of the question for me.

May 25, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #300 of 330
I prefer the sound stage of these cans, try 3d holophonic sound goes well with the way the sound stage sounds like.

With the way these sound they can do something that fits in with a 3d soundstage in your head.

Classic sound stage is boring for me, i like the spacious sound of these they have potential to sound 3d.

I have always wanted an upfront and in your head and lively and right in the music.

I also high regard the k550 and do enjoy them and these do that well which is the k550.

I own alot of headphones but the k550 is getting the most head time.

There can be technology develop to take advantage of the way the k550 sounds to make it sound 3d and more convincing where the sound is coming from like a 3d layed holophonic sound type thing where it hardly takes any effort of concentration to pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

I mean they use these effects of dolby etc, etc for headphones with the classic soundstage but not these if they did these would sound 3d well one of many forms of 3d sound techniques, i mean when i hear rain it gives the sound effect of 3d like in real life like as if i can hear round the rain whereas in prehaps 99% of headphones don't do this and is somewhere back there.

Fit 3d holophonic perfect and with some reverse engineering they can delevop it for this kind of soundstage.

I hope i understood you.

It just adds to my enjoyment makes them sound wonderful music sounds pop out of nowhere etc i love their presentation deep bass punches and slams laid back but fast enough for trance etc,

The way they present sound adds enjoyment makes me want to tap my feet and i feel this can is perfect for my taste.

I find other headphones boring with the usual soundstage.

Some people prefer the k550 over something that costs 3 or 4 times it price regarding it's strengths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back