AKG K550 Review.
May 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #301 of 330
Well, that's sounds all nice and good, but I simply wouldn't know what to make of it. You may call it what you like, but it felt simply chaotic and random compared to the Sennheiser. Even with my very limited experience with them I found them tiring. I wonder if there is any way sound wouldn't be perceived as some kind of soundstage even if it's completely flat... Anyway, saying they are "just like open cans" is definitely misleading, unless the Senneheiser are the complete exception here. You might get something completely different than the soundstage you opted for. I have said I find thm "more fun", the Sennheiser are simply dry and more detached, but I would still like to make some kind of sense of spatial orientation and get a balanced presentation as opposed to everything being "all there", sometimes literally trying to overshout each other (I also noticed more noise than with the Sennheiser). I don't care for 3D holographs and whatever, one just has to take into account the difference of this soundstage, and not talk about it as if it were a pure, normal and everyday soundstage, when there are such fundamentally different distinctions to be made.

May 26, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #302 of 330
It is definitely a form of 3d sound whatever you call that i don't know but i prefer this sound it has with the sound effects and the way you hear sound, it is in alignment of things like s logic and the like of true 3d sound technology but with sound effect and it's different sound stage which gives a 3d effect which can be utilized to make things properly round like a circle 3d sound and inside it, 3d style.

I wouldn't be worried calling this a 3d sound stage...

Listening to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl96O65K6LE sounds 3d just like in real life with the way rain sounds, if you listen to this on the k550 and other headphones which sounds 3d more like real life with the dimensions of sound.

And this the depth of rain is covered with the way this sounds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IXm6SuUigI i dunno the angle of the sound, sounds 3d like in real life if you listen to this on another headphone this effect is back there and sounds 2d.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT1XuB95qMk they need to make this track compatible with the way the k550 sounds because as you know it sounds different.

I dunno make your own mind up on this one.

But these recordings are for headphones like the hd598 99% of headphones that don't sound 3d like with the k550 which presents sound differently and people enjoy this includeing me i just love the way these sound and is my kind of sound it isn't boring for me at least sounds pop out into a space it just sounds amazing 3d like i dunno, i always wanted a headphone to sound like this and is totally my cup of tea and am satisfied with it, it is more enjoyable if you know what i mean.

It isn't the most fun headphone but i enjoy it but if you get real with the way things should sound well yea..but this is the only headphone i enjoy more, comes down to taste and the recording.

Fostex t50rp sounds something like this but the akg550 does it properly.

regarding the spatial cues compared to 99% of headphones these are more in the way of a form of 3d  sound , whereas in other headphones it is at the back of the driver whereas these are at an angle of sound in alignment of 3d sound effect of the way the sound comes from it can be used to sound totally different and exactly 3d imaging prehaps.

I just can't get a recording to match the sound of the k550 so i give up.

Sorry if i repeated my self but those who say it sounds 3d i understand them add to my enjoyment and don't find them boring and they are great with positioning cues and enjoy this kind of presentation.

If you use things like dolby headphone which is in harmony of 99% of headphones i understand, if you use them with this it is in harmony with the 3d sound effects these cans sound like but it suited to 99% of other cans like a mirror image reverse engineering and if there was anything in synergy with the angle of sound from the k550 it would be fantastic.

So yea it definatly gives a 3d sound effect i have noticed this with some recordings and it sounds just like real life regarding the depth pitch placement of sound is more realistic with the 3d sound effects and sounds 3d with the way 3d sounds, sounds exactly like that on the k550 but with no synergy just sounds more realistic and in real life we all hear 3d.

Bleh.

May 26, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #303 of 330
Deliver sound across a wide frequency range to provide the full dynamics and 3D spatial imaging reminiscent of a live performance.

Well there you go from http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AKG---K550-Over-the-Ear-Headphones/5041829.p?id=1218603010836&skuId=5041829 there are definatly people out there will agree with me that these sound 3d.

50mm drivers Deliver sound across a wide frequency range to provide the full dynamics and 3D spatial imaging reminiscent of a live performance.

http://www.magnoliaav.com/products/accessories/headphones/akg-k550-over-the-ear-headphones

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AKG---K550-Over-the-Ear-Headphones/5041829.p?id=1218603010836&skuId=5041829

Okay then...something to do with akgs imaging method..that akg isn't talking about...interesting.

From http://www.head-fi.org/t/599170/akg-k550-review-essentially-a-closed-back-k702-literally

The soundstage is awesome.  3D, like it should be, and with great positioning.  I played MW3 infection and actually got the drop on some infected.  I still suck, but the K550's are no slouch in the gaming area.  There's plenty of detail throughout the spectrum - you can easily locate footsteps fore, aft, back-left etc. like a champ.  Movies are equally awesome, although when cranked the highs seem to overwhelm a little so I keep the volume slightly lower than what I had it with my MK2's.  AND, speaking on volume, these can bump 117db in the cup.  That's loud.  I like that.  Some others do too.

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #304 of 330
I just found out about these headphones last night, where the hell have I been?!

these seem to be exactly what I've been trying to find for months, open detailed sound of the AKG K702 but with the tight low end and privacy of closed headphones

I currently use a combination of AKG K702 and Beats by Dre Studio both paired with an Apogee ONE for Electronic Music production

all the info I've found since last night makes me think that I'll be able to replace both my current headphones with the K550, so fingers crossed!

I pulled the trigger last night after doing some research, $197 for an open box from an authorized dealer on eBay

now I'm on the market for a portable DAC to pair the AKG K550s with, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #305 of 330
I'd suggest the Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII as a nice, compact mobile DAC/amp that even works with an iPad (digital out via CCK).
Depending on your budget and environment there are of course lots of other options available as well, e.g. various Fiio models, the Fostex HP-P1, HRT Microstreamer, ...

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #306 of 330
If I want headphones that are different sounding than my HD600s with fiio e17+e9, is the AKG 550 a good choice to get?  I'm still keeping the HD600s but need a different headphone that sounds different so I can change things up

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #307 of 330
In my opinion these are some of the most versatile and all around uncompromising good quality phones you can get.  I've tried about 10 around $300, and these are by far the brightest, fullest and most comfortable pairs of phones ever.  You can't go wrong with them!

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #308 of 330
I actually bought two sets, one for me and one for my wife, then my wife decided she didn't want them because they're black... she wants white... and I can't return to buyer :)  If anyone's interested in buying a brand new set, still in the cellophane wrapping... contact me.

Jul 10, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #310 of 330
These AKG K550 are the best cans I've owned so far and I paid less than $200 for them new

Only major thing I would change is the cable, very long and not detachable

I had a bit of an accident today with the cable, chair sat on top of it while I was at Starbucks and there's no way to replace it

Don't know how it made sense for AKG to use such a ridiculously long cable without a micro XLR plug like a lot of their other cans

Other than that, they're extremely comfortable, sound clear and open with a very nice extended low end but almost absolutely no bleed even at very loud volumes

I was surprised when my gf told me she couldn't hear my music at all while working, then I had her put them on and I was blown away by how well they seal

You do have to bend them a bit to get the best seal but the band is metal and it's very easy to do it

The build quality is great but they do wear easy, they're all black coated metal so any tiny little ding will show a mark, mine are already showing signs of wear and I've only had them for a little over a month and have only left my house once, which left to the cable being pitched like I already mentioned

They are definitely bang for the buck specially if you find them for the same price I did, I'd love to see AKG do a better revision than the one they already did (different color, shorter cable and iPhone control) with better seal which would result in better low end response, bit cleaner low mids, a tiny bit tamer highs, detachable cable, coily cable option and maybe no more black coated metal, brushed metal would be better in the long run

I am definitely keeping these until they fall apart, I actually kinda like how the coat is wearing a bit here and there already around the edges, they will look badass once they start wearing more, it will definitely give them some character haha

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #313 of 330
Sorry, I misunderstood your sentence about said revision. To me the first part sounded like a part of your wish list, not like a mention of the existing revision *plus* a wish list in the second part... Nevermind.

Problem is it might be hard to provide better seal while not compromising comfort...

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #314 of 330
I just found out about these headphones last night, where the hell have I been?!

these seem to be exactly what I've been trying to find for months, open detailed sound of the AKG K702 but with the tight low end and privacy of closed headphones

I currently use a combination of AKG K702 and Beats by Dre Studio both paired with an Apogee ONE for Electronic Music production

all the info I've found since last night makes me think that I'll be able to replace both my current headphones with the K550, so fingers crossed!

I pulled the trigger last night after doing some research, $197 for an open box from an authorized dealer on eBay

now I'm on the market for a portable DAC to pair the AKG K550s with, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hopefully this reply isn't too late to be helpful, but I just wanted to put a plug in for the Fostex HP-P1 DAC/Amp combo as an ideal pairing with the K550.

When I first got the Fostex I expected my Senn HP25 to be my go-to portable cans for this unit, but after comparing to the K550 there was no going back. In other words I'm happy to put up with the portability issues (size, cable length) for the superior SQ. It's like these cans were made for the Fostex, ithey're that good.

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #315 of 330
Top Line: If you're looking for a K/Q 70x that doesn't leak like a sieve, IMO these ain't it.

For those of you who are somewhat old audiophiles, the K/Q 70x are the Martin Logan CLS and the K550s are the Wilson Watt2/Puppy2.  I happened to love them both, but they're pretty different.  What this means...

Amplification Requirements - On my iBasso D3, my K702 @ 3 o'clock = my K550 at 11:00.  Generally speaking, it's easy to clip the K702, I can't imagine clipping the K550 at any reasonable volume.  The K702 verges on unlistenable without at least a halfway decent portable amp that's been warmed up, at which point they open up like a flower and really come alive.  The K550 sounds pretty good straight out of your iDevice headphone jack, but benefit substantially from good amplification, so they're MUCH more flexible.

Comfort & Fit - The K550 is significantly more comfortable (even though the K702 isn't bad itself), but the K702 is MUCH easier to fit correctly as you just have to put them on.  You have to fiddle with the K550 a bit to get the seal right, and as previously mentioned in this thread numerous times, the seal is all-important.  It wasn't to hard for me as I have a largish head, yet I was using the smallest size setting and they still felt a little loose.  They designed these cans for giants.  Once you do get them on right don't talk, chew, or shake your head vigorously.  If you do, you'll lose the seal a bit.

Edit: If you wear glasses while you listen, the K550 is NOT for you.  While they are more comfortable with glasses than the K702, you just can't get a good seal with glasses on - and this utterly ruins the K550 sound.  This is a bit of a bummer for those of us who stare at screens all day and thus appreciate our Gunnar Optiks.

For Busta Rhymes' Do It to Death on ELE - While it's basically unlistenable on the K702 it's completely enjoyable on the K550.  The bass is deep, tight, and nuanced on the K550 whereas it's just largely absent on the K702.  Any more bass from the K550 and it wouldn't be right - you'd be entering into Beats territory.  In fact, I think AKG may have voiced these things so that a Beats person wouldn't be immediately turned off.  That sounds bad, but they pulled it off marvelously without ruining the AKG neutrality.

For STP's Down on No.4 - Here's where you can see the full tradeoff and how while very different there is some degree of equivalency between these two headphones.  Going from K702 to K550 you lose virtually all the 3D grit on the guitar riffs and as a result they sound about half as "grungey," ...but you gain this thickness to the bass and mid-bass background that adds a layer of richness that you wouldn't have missed with the K702 until you heard the K550.  It gives a tonal depth to the K550 that the K702 just doesn't have and as a result, the backdrop to performances are "blacker/darker."

For Solas' Newry Highwayman on Solas - The K550 just can't hang with the K702 here as the track isn't particularly bassy and the K702 is capable of delivering all that's needed on the low end with superior definition and detail across the whole spectrum.  This definition and detail brings everything alive and into a 3D space that the K550 presents incredibly admirably for a closed back headphone, but not nearly as well as the K702.  As a result the guitar, vocals, and even drum are just more rounded, palpable, and dynamically edgy on the K702.  You get a much better sense of the attack, sustain, and decay of each note in the broad midrange and therefore the PRAT is better.

Gripes - The cable is too long and needs to be detachable.  While on the topic of the cable, please note that my K702s were wearing a custom Blue Dragon cable for my comparison.  Some of you will believe that affected my results and some won't.  I obviously do, but it's been a long time since I've heard the K702 with the stock cable and I have no idea where it is so I can't comment on the issue.

Bottom Line: My very first impression was K702 with "loudness" turned on, but after a few hours and a plethora of different tracks I developed a much more nuanced view.  As for house sound, at times (particularly with rock) I felt more like I was listening to a neutral and more detailed open-back Senn than an AKG frankly, but I like them a lot.  They're not as "smoothed-over" as the Senn house sound and they still have the prickly edge that makes the AKGs burst into 3D life by comparison.  If you get a good seal, you'll get TONS of bass out of these, and that's really nice in an AKG.  You will give up detail, soundstaging, and the some of the lifelike 3D quality so abundant in the K/Q 70x though.  I'll definitely be hanging on to these and they'll see plenty of use in bed at night next to the wife, in the office, and for all my bass reliant tracks - for everything else though, the K702 midrange detail is what I'll be looking for.

>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back