AKG K550 Review.
Jan 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #256 of 330
I´m about to buy these in a day or two but i was wondering if anybody knows is it like impossibly hard to make the cord changeable... ? I did that to my old headphones but I´m just wondering cause I wouldn´t want to ruin them right at the beginning of our relationship :D

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #258 of 330
Quote:
I´m about to buy these in a day or two but i was wondering if anybody knows is it like impossibly hard to make the cord changeable... ? I did that to my old headphones but I´m just wondering cause I wouldn´t want to ruin them right at the beginning of our relationship :D

I read somewhere in these forum that there is a new version coming out with detachable cable. Can't say if this is just a tattle though.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #260 of 330
Quote:
Ok, thanks. I already bought the today so I´ll just have to contact someone who does it :)

It might be that you find an easy solution to simply rolling up the cable. I have a plastic thingmy for rolling up cable which actually came with some Sennheisers I bought years ago and this is partially successful, the problem with it being that the cable it was designed for was much thinner than that on the K550s, however I am considering modifications to it with a nail file perhaps.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #262 of 330
I thought these cans were made for gigantic heads…and that the AKG engineers who designed them had done so after taking acid and smoking pot.   This is based on a couple of visits to my local Best Buy where they have them on display.  I could not get a seal even after bending the headband.  If I pushed on the cups, I could hear a wonder full sound that was not there if I just placed them on my head.

So, I was at Best Buy this weekend to try the Momentums;  I was looking for a closed can with good sub-bass.  I heard the Momentums and thought, ‘nice sound - good sub-bas’.  I then decided to try the K500 for old times’ sake.   Again, no seal, but after pressing the cups to my head the bass came alive…and the sub-bass was incredible.   Too bad the seal sucks, I thought. 

On my way out I noticed that they had opened box K550 (not plastic shrink wrap), so I took them out of the box and tried them on.   Whoa – I got a perfect seal.    I purchased a pair and now I’m a happy camper.  I have always loved the sound of these headphones. 

Just wanted to mention my experience in case someone else got the impression that the seal was bad based on an audition at some store or if they purchased a used pair – there is a chance that the headband was bent way out of shape.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #265 of 330
Really tricky to get anything approaching a good seal. Finally got something going by stuffing some paper towel under the ear cup rim, but only on the upper half.

Bedning the headband in the middle does little, but bending it a where the phone support/leg/bracket/whatever-the-thing-tha-holds-the-earpiece-is-called slides into the headband does increase the clamping.

KP

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #266 of 330
Quote:

Just wanted to mention my experience in case someone else got the impression that the seal was bad based on an audition at some store or if they purchased a used pair – there is a chance that the headband was bent way out of shape.

I think the headbands may be quite variable from the manufacturer. This would account for the various different qualities of seal reported.

I'm very lucky with these headphones in that they seem to fit very well indeed. The seal is very good, insulation is excellent.

I find them very comfortable, the pads are very soft and rather pleasant.

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #267 of 330
Hey!

I'm trying to decide on three phones, this K550/1, Q701 and the Beyer DT 880. I want an all around headphone that works with rock/heavy also (not the most important thing).

The thing I want to really ask about this is can they be worn with glasses or does it lose the seal? I have a big head so no problem there but I'm wondering if wearing glasses will ruin these for me. I think the air comes out from the little holes glasses leave on the cushion as the cushion doesn't touch skin/hair all the way around. I don't have extra wide glasses but they don't touch the side of my head either.

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #268 of 330
I'm new to the whole audiophile scene but my experience with the K550s is that the effect of the 'good seal' is exaggerated.  Yes, a thicker seal makes a difference but don't be fooled into thinking it will radically alter the sound signature.

I have a relatively small head and got a good seal even with glasses, but again, I found these phones to be very comfortable and the seal issue over-hyped.  And the build quality and comfort level on these headphones is *phenomenal* for the price.  Be warned that they are rather large so if you have a small head you will look like a star wars character.

However the sound signature on these phones is unique, and many peoples' opinions are polarized.

IMO it was designed for natural sounding recordings with shining mids and realistic bass--synthetically wide sounds and post-production techniques sound unusual with these cans. 

Rock and electronic recordings that strived for natural acoustics sounded very detailed, natural and pleasant; other rock recordings have the potential to sound unusual. 

And do not expect to drive a rock recording to the max with these babies, because the emphasis on the mids will often produce a shrill sound.

This was my experience.  Really great build quality and the potential for an amazing, detailed sound for the price.  But very specific.  Try them before you buy!

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #269 of 330
Quote:
I'm new to the whole audiophile scene but my experience with the K550s is that the effect of the 'good seal' is exaggerated.  Yes, a thicker seal makes a difference but don't be fooled into thinking it will radically alter the sound signature.

Maybe it's mentioned all the time due to a disproportionate number of people being unable to get a seal and either complaining here or leaving 1-star reviews at Amazon, but that doesn't mean the problem itself is exaggerated. I don't remember anyone stating that the sound sig will radically change post-seal.

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #270 of 330
Quote:

Maybe it's mentioned all the time due to a disproportionate number of people being unable to get a seal and either complaining here or leaving 1-star reviews at Amazon, but that doesn't mean the problem itself is exaggerated. I don't remember anyone stating that the sound sig will radically change post-seal.

When I purchased them, I found the sub-bass empty and lacking. I heard about seal problems, and clamped them very tight.  It made a small difference and I can see how if a pair was looser than mine, there could be an issue.

How variable is the clamping from pair-to-pair out of the box? I don't know the answer to that and I am skeptical.  Seems more likely people get a small improvement from clamping (They are very big and cushiony), and then continue to adjust their ear to the very natural sound signature.

The seal issue seems pretty controversial and difficult to test/prove

What we do know is these headphones are tuned for a more natural sounding bass. So it's important to mention that to someone who is planning to spend 300 dollars and is concerned about the seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back