AKG K550 Review.
Aug 6, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #91 of 330
And as far as movies go, I personally have had a breathtaking experience with them once connected to my computer rig. 
I don't play computer games but if I were to give you my two words, compared to what I have experienced from watching movies then I would easily recommend them.
Just don't be expecting too much bass though, Bass is def present enough for my needs( Unless you're utilizing the quality EQ the fiio e17 provides then Bass even for the Basshead will be satisfying)

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #94 of 330
I found after they have been properly burned in they are just so sweet the bas hits right where you need it in the tracks.

By the way I was out and about and decided to use them when shopping. I had a few people come and ask what type of headphones they were.  They said they looked great and one lady thought they were sexy looking. They commented how much better they looked to the Dr. Dre Beats. I agree it has a grown up and classy look to them.

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #95 of 330
I truly enjoy my K550. I have owned mine for about a month and given them about 4 hours a day to get a solid burn-in.

The sound is really opening up and becoming much more clear. Seemed a bit tinny at first, but have smoothed out nicely.

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #96 of 330
I've seen my share of reviews, but I in the 'likem' camp :)  My head is on the smallish side.. nothing like beetlejuice noggin, and they seem to fit ok. My only concern is if my head shrinks or the K550 gets looser.. whichever comes first :) 

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #97 of 330
Quote:
I've seen my share of reviews, but I in the 'likem' camp :)  My head is on the smallish side.. nothing like beetlejuice noggin, and they seem to fit ok. My only concern is if my head shrinks or the K550 gets looser.. whichever comes first :) 

I loved the sound signature of 550s.  Too bad they did not fit well enough.  

I in the 'sad' camp.
frown.gif

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #98 of 330
Quote:

I in the 'sad' camp.
frown.gif

But I bought the HFI-580 instead, so the story has a happy ending.

I'm hoping and waiting to see if they release a new set with a more conventional design ( or perhaps the same design, but not one made for giants).

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #99 of 330
Just to add to the already glowing reviews, these headphones are mind-bending good for the price. Just got a pair 3 days ago and they are absolutely gorgeous in every regard, aesthetics, manufacturing quality, comfort level, and most importantly sonically. Hands down best-value pair of headphones I've ever owned. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #100 of 330
Quote:
Just to add to the already glowing reviews, these headphones are mind-bending good for the price. Just got a pair 3 days ago and they are absolutely gorgeous in every regard, aesthetics, manufacturing quality, comfort level, and most importantly sonically. Hands down best-value pair of headphones I've ever owned. 

What other headphones have you owned?

Sep 3, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #102 of 330
Not many, but I suppose I was interpolating the curve of sonic awe/unit money I've heard so far in my headphone life. I've owned Grado SR-60s, Sennheiser HD380 Pro, Denon AH-D1001, AIAIAIAI TMA-1 Studio, and some Shure in-ears. I've started using the Fiio E7 DAC/Amp as well. But these stand out as the most enjoyable pair I've heard by far.

Sep 3, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #103 of 330
I think many people who have issues with the K550s have 2 issues.  Fit and power.

Although they are 32ohm headphones, they require a good amp to fill the low-end.  Connected directly to my Plenue Z2, they sound very clear, but thin.  The bass is lacking.  Luckily my Z2 has Jet Effect with BBE, so i can tune up the bass.  But when I give them a good power source, they really shine and fill in.  We all know the low-end is harder to drive.  and although they are only 32ohm cans, 50mm drivers do require extra juice to shake the bass up.

Although I think the fit issues of the K550s are a bit over-exxagerated, the fit does matter.  Doesn't have the clamping force of my DT990pros, but they have decent clampage.  If your head is small, then bend the headband a bit.  The earpads do rotate on all axis, but are a bit stiff, so make sure that you give them a little nudge to ensure they are flush against your head.

The only real problem I have with the K550s is the upper-mids.  They grind a bit in the upper-mids.  I fix this by decreasing the equalization in the 4k-8k range.

All in all, they are an amazing set of cans.  They seal like a vacuum. The soundstage is competetive with open-back cans.  The clarity is amazing.  And they sustain their amazing overall balance at lower volumes.  I know most of us head-fiers like to crank up the volume, but some times it's nice/necessary to listen at lower volumes, and I've never heard a set of cans that sustain their presence at lower volumes.

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #104 of 330
Quote:
I think many people who have issues with the K550s have 2 issues.  Fit and power.

Although they are 32ohm headphones, they require a good amp to fill the low-end.  Connected directly to my Plenue Z2, they sound very clear, but thin.  The bass is lacking.  Luckily my Z2 has Jet Effect with BBE, so i can tune up the bass.  But when I give them a good power source, they really shine and fill in.  We all know the low-end is harder to drive.  and although they are only 32ohm cans, 50mm drivers do require extra juice to shake the bass up.

Although I think the fit issues of the K550s are a bit over-exxagerated, the fit does matter.  Doesn't have the clamping force of my DT990pros, but they have decent clampage.  If your head is small, then bend the headband a bit.  The earpads do rotate on all axis, but are a bit stiff, so make sure that you give them a little nudge to ensure they are flush against your head.

The only real problem I have with the K550s is the upper-mids.  They grind a bit in the upper-mids.  I fix this by decreasing the equalization in the 4k-8k range.

All in all, they are an amazing set of cans.  They seal like a vacuum. The soundstage is competetive with open-back cans.  The clarity is amazing.  And they sustain their amazing overall balance at lower volumes.  I know most of us head-fiers like to crank up the volume, but some times it's nice/necessary to listen at lower volumes, and I've never heard a set of cans that sustain their presence at lower volumes.

For me, the poor fit ties in with a poor seal that negatively impacted the sound quality when I auditioned these.  They sounded much better when I pressed the earcups against my head, but unfortunately it would not be practical to walk around like that all day.

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #105 of 330
Quote:

Although I think the fit issues of the K550s are a bit over-exxagerated, the fit does matter.  Doesn't have the clamping force of my DT990pros, but they have decent clampage.  If your head is small, then bend the headband a bit. 

I bent the crap out of the ones I tried and the seal actually became worse.  I had to bend them back to their original shape and things got a little better.   I looked at them an thought that if I could put some more padding on the headband so the ear pads would sit slightly higher on my head then the seal would improve. 

But then I though...meh, it ain't worth all the hassle.

My head is not exactly small either.   Before the K550, I had not tried one headphone that would fit at it's lowest setting - I always have to adjust the headband by three or four notches.   The fit is not over-exxagerated.

The K550 is what you get when design engineers go to work stoned...or when your test subject is André the Giant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back