AKG K550 Review.
Jun 3, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #16 of 330
Quote:
"and the newer Batman begins batman, not the LSD driven tim burton arnold schwarzanegger neon everything batman."

Tim Burton didn't do the horrific neon Schwarzenegger Batman movie btw :p but pedanticness aside I just tried these headphones yesterday and I love them. Coming from the q701 I found the bass to be amazing (unlike the 701 complete lack of) and for a closed set of headphones they keep a lot of that same feeling. They drive off my Samsung Galaxy S phone like nothing else I have ever tried at any impedance! Although I will be amping the s*** out of them with a nice DAC (bought the Fiio E17 the other day too).

I think I am going to be counting the seconds until I can get a pair of these, my birthday is coming up so maybe I will treat myself :).

Jun 6, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #17 of 330
I too purchased the 550 and loved them at first despite a few issues like a low end that's more than just present and the loose fit. (for me) Unfortunately, after a couple of weeks I would only turn to them to listen to specific kinds of music: Jazz, strong vocals, classical and new age (trance). As a child of the 70's, classic rock then alternative is my preferred listen and they were lacking the punch on the low end I was looking forward to.

I absolutely love the sound stage, clarity and slightly forward mids. I got to hear things in songs I didn't know were there. The 550 puts you in the middle of the music instead of the music in the middle of your head. Which is what I got from the Ultrasone 900's I got to replace the 550's. I even tried upgrading the amp from a Fiio e7 to e17 but I'd have to put the bass up to 10 which muddied up some of the positives of these cans.

I found that I got the sound I desired by pressing the cups to my head. Low and behold, i got that richness i wanted. However, I wasn't going to walk around holding my head or use a headband when there are so many headphones out there i hadn't demo'd. I tried a basic mod of putting rolled cotton under and around the ear pad and that helped a great deal, so if you're keeping the 550's and want a bit more bass and a slightly better fit. This will do the trick and you will be ecstatic.

So right now my perfect HP would be a mash of the 550 and Pro900. I'll be spending my lunch at the Guitar Center around the corner that I just found out carries 10 lines of high end HP's. I can't wait to see what this session turns up.

Jun 8, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #18 of 330
I get pretty good bass from my K550 before I did anything, even without turning on bass boost from my cMoyBB.  With BB turned on, it is even better.  To get a good seal, push around the cups' edges to get a good fit.  I also later on bend the wide metal head band just a little bit to get a little more pressure and they fit even better now.  They are super comfortable comparing to my HD 650. HD 650s have much stronger pressure.

Now, could someone tell me how to open up the cups?  :)

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #19 of 330
Quote:
I get pretty good bass from my K550 before I did anything, even without turning on bass boost from my cMoyBB.  With BB turned on, it is even better.  To get a good seal, push around the cups' edges to get a good fit.  I also later on bend the wide metal head band just a little bit to get a little more pressure and they fit even better now.  They are super comfortable comparing to my HD 650. HD 650s have much stronger pressure.

Now, could someone tell me how to open up the cups?  :)

Why would you wanna open up the cups for? Just curious. In anycase yes the comfort does get alot better after it's worn.

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #21 of 330
Well i went and picked up the K555s, and there not good on movies at all.  Listening to music on them they were ok, still lacking bass, and pitchy treble, almost ear piercing.  I did notice that if you put your hands on them and push on them the bass does come up and you get a better sound.  They dont seal well and leak alot, there heading back to bestbuy.

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #22 of 330
After further listening to them on some Techo Rock they did sound pretty dam good, still the dont seal well at all, very bad fit for me, but if you push on both cans, the sound is really really good.

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #23 of 330
It all depends on your setup. Last Saturday i heard them during NYC Head-fi meet with 3 different amps O2, CTH, Burson 160D plus Cowon A3 portable player and they are lacking bass with all of them which was especially noticeable when listening to classical music or jazz while T70p gave me tight deep punchy well controlled bass i'm looking for

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #24 of 330
Been playing with them all night, movies suck, music is pretty good, i have no amp, just thru my X-FI Titanium sound card, so a amp may improve my sound, but i cant get past the bad fit on these, and after wearing them for hours, there really bothering me, definitly not as comfortable as the HD 558s.

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #26 of 330
Well the 555s are definitly better than the HD558s, the 558s had no bass, what bass it had was muddy, the k555s now that i have them thru alot of different kinds of music have a clean smooth bass.  The K555s mids are good, the highs seem alittle harsh, but a pretty clean overall sound, definitly better than the HD 558s, they sound completely different.  The HD 558s were ok on movies, but not up to par on what im lookin for, the K555S flat out suck on movies, but are pretty dam solid on music.

I could learn to really like these for music, but they just dont fit worth a crude, very lose around the ears, when you push on the cans slightly the sound really really improves, im going to take them back due to just not a good fit.  I have a average size head, if i lean back in desk chair they fall off my head, thats not going to fly, but if you can get a good fit out of them there pretty dam good for music.  The build quality of both headphones is rock solid, although the K555s are more solid due to metal in the build, the HD 558s are mostly plastic, but they seem solid.  Hope that helps you out.

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #27 of 330
thanks a lot, now will definitely look for some k550, hd598/558 were my first choice but the akg's got so many good reviews, and they are closed too, thanks again

about the fit, some reviews i've read said they bent the metal band and got a better tighter fit, hope that helps you

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #28 of 330
Quote:
Tim Burton didn't do the horrific neon Schwarzenegger Batman movie

Wrong, Burton did direct that atrocity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_in_film#Batman_Returns_.281992.29

Users who are viewing this thread

Back