AKG K550 - NEW!!
May 30, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #1,351 of 1,494
Quote:
To which headphone does this compare the most, guys?

I'd say it's not too far from it's closed little brother, the K271 mkII or K272HD. 

May 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #1,352 of 1,494
Quote:

You have no idea what you're talking about.  I'll leave it at that.  Go tab some bass lines

If you leave it at that, I have no means of being able to understand my inconsistencies or where I'm illogical. Please be more constructive with your response, since I'm not...

May 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #1,353 of 1,494
Quote:

Precisely! Where is music when it can't be reduced to notes we cannot hear? Reductive materialism? I don't know if Popper's three worlds can be applied here, but I fail to see the evolutionary product without natural premises. What is my life stance without a world view?

Anyway... I'd also be interested to see how they would measure up modded. I don't hear the glare as disturbing. I'm quite skeptical of modding, excluding ortho stuff. Lawton Audio Denons for instance are awful. It seems people get fixated to one problem and while attending to that forget many other aspects and the presentation fails as a whole. At least from what I've experienced.

It's not magic.  It's just about how you arrange all the parts.  When combined in the right way they do something that they don't do individually.  Random note don't make music, do they?

You can check out purrin's measurements of his HD800 and HP1000 mods if you're skeptical about the ability to mod dynamics with good results.

May 30, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #1,354 of 1,494
The whole "headphones need to sound like live music to be uncolored" argument is preposterous. Every single live show at every single venue I've been to sounds completely different. And I see live shows every other week -- and have literally been to every conceivable music venue in the Bay Area at least a half dozen times (and many of them possibly in the hundreds of times over the years). With the plethora of varying factors in taking in a live performance, how is that going to be your gold standard to which to judge a headphone? 

May 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #1,355 of 1,494
Quote:
The whole "headphones need to sound like live music to be uncolored" argument is preposterous. Every single live show at every single venue I've been to sounds completely different. And I see live shows every other week -- and have literally been to every conceivable music venue in the Bay Area at least a half dozen times (and many of them possibly in the hundreds of times over the years). With the plethora of varying factors in taking in a live performance, how is that going to be your gold standard to which to judge a headphone? 

Several years back I was taught by some top recording engineers and music production professionals
that all recorded music is colored - and every part in the playback chain has to recognize that.

It starts with the coloration in the original venue space itself, then the coloration in the recording microphone(s),
whether Neumann U87's or otherwise, and continues along...

I suppose there are some who disagree with this view, but my certainty of its truth has only strengthened.

May 30, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #1,356 of 1,494
Quote:
Right.  You accuse me of not listening to music and all you're concerned with is tabbing bass lines.  You have a very narrow focus and it leads you to prefer very colored headphones.  You like basslight, treble tilted headphones with wonky upper midrange emphasis because you're just after clarity.  I'm interested in the whole musical picture.  Not just tabbing ******* basslines.  That means absolutely nothing. 

I take it you're not a fan of the K550?
tongue.gif

Not sure if I've ever seen a headphone get more mixed reviews than this one.

May 30, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #1,357 of 1,494
Quote:

I'd say it's not too far from it's closed little brother, the K271 mkII or K272HD. 

The 272HD had too little bass for me. Does this one have any more?

May 30, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #1,358 of 1,494
Quote:
Hi all,

I already own a pair of ATH-M50s that I like but was wondering if the 550s would be a big improvement over the M50s... I'm looking for an affordable closed can with good sound stage. Any opinion?

Thank you.

An improvement overall, but IMO not a any kind of "big" improvement.
The 550's have greater clarity and a bigger soundstage.
I don't love the bass on either the 550's or the M50's.
One has too much, the other - well, it's variable as indicated in this thread.
The M50's fit better and isolate much better.
I'd rather listen to the K550's.

Quote:
To which headphone does this compare the most, guys?

I've not heard anything that sounds quite similar, but,,,

Quote:

...it does sound somewhat like this, but with better soundstage, more bass, and greater extension in the treble.

May 30, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #1,360 of 1,494
I have had the 550's for 10 days and running the off a Fiio e7 from an iMac or iPhone. The bottom line is that they're going back to Amazon tomorrow. On most music I find the SQ very pleasing but that's where it ends. Pleasing albeit a little thin. Put a bit of pressure on the cups and the sound instantly fills out. RED FLAG 1. Took a que from a Grado mod post and put rolled up cotton under the ear pads and got a similar effect with the addition of a slightly altered sound stage and controlled highs. RED FLAG 2. All the rest is fit. My head is far from small and unless I'm absolutely still, they move,and the SQ changes. The band has way too much flex. The cups are way too big and since it won't clamp hard enough, my ears would often slide under the pads. RED FLAG 3.

I wanted to love these soooo much, but such is life. Perhaps if they make some changes, I will give them another shot.

Next try for me is another polarizing can - Ultrasone Pro900 and an e17.

May 30, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #1,361 of 1,494
Let me give you my experience with these:

First time I put them on today after getting them - wow these suck the highs are so harsh and there is definitely less bass than my q701

let them sit for a little bit while I wrote something

Second time and after adjusting the headband a little bit - wow these are really really good *puts q701s on the storage stand*

So there is a DRAMATIC change in sound if you don't have the right fit, and you really do need a somewhat wide head to get a good stock fit. I'm sure you could bend the metal headband but I would not recommend that until after you are sure you like them (just put a rubber band around your head).

May 30, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #1,363 of 1,494
Can't wait to test my new K550 later this week and compare it with my HD 650.  I also have 2 cMoyBB, one is gain=8 and 18V (dual 9V) to match HD 650's 300ohm impedance.  Will be modding the other one to gain=2 and dual rail splitter to work with K550's 32ohm impedance. 

May 30, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #1,364 of 1,494
I've read all I can find on the 550's and they are very mixed. In addition, I've found that many owners have the same issues I do. Great on paper and hit or miss on the practical application. As for the Pro900's...people either love 'em or hate 'em. I'm hoping to love them. If not, I've got a decent list of prospects to choose from until I find a keeper.

May 31, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #1,365 of 1,494
Quote:
I've read all I can find on the 550's and they are very mixed. In addition, I've found that many owners have the same issues I do. Great on paper and hit or miss on the practical application. As for the Pro900's...people either love 'em or hate 'em. I'm hoping to love them. If not, I've got a decent list of prospects to choose from until I find a keeper.

Evidently you're really set on closed headphones.
There are very few really good ones in comparison to open headphones.
The design of closed headphones creates certain types of distortion
absent from open headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back