AKG K550 - NEW!!
May 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #1,276 of 1,494
Quote:

I don't consider them similar sounding at all. 

I demo'ed the DT770, and I didn't like how the mids and vocals sounded on it. The K550 definitely has a much better midrange as well as less sibilant highs. You give up some bass in the switch though. I think the AKG is punchy, but bassheads might not be satisfied.

I should look for a place to demo these ...

What genres are these cans best suited for, or do really well with?

May 9, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #1,277 of 1,494
Quote:
These are the nicest looking headphones I've ever seen in this price bracket. just wow.

I'm debating getting these, even though I don't really need them.
I already have a durable and comfortable closed set of cans that isolate well and don't leak much, in the Beyer DT 770 Pro-80's.
For those that have the K550's and the DT 770's, are they different sounding enough to justify owning both??

I like everything about the Dt 770's, except the mids, which are too sucked out for my taste. How are the mids on the K550's?

I don't have DT770's, but I have heard the 80 ohm pro's a couple of times, and if I remember correctly they are very different sounding compared to K550. K550's are basically as flat as headphones get, nothing sticks out too much, nothing is sucked out either.

May 9, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #1,278 of 1,494
I really adore the looks of the K550... but after demoing them several times with different amps, I still believe that even the M50s are better in every possible way (except the stunning look of the K550) and that the K550 is one of the most overrated headphones of the past few years.

May 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #1,279 of 1,494
Quote:
I really adore the looks of the K550... but after demoing them several times with different amps, I still believe that even the M50s are better in every possible way (except the stunning look of the K550) and that the K550 is one of the most overrated headphones of the past few years.

Nah, no way, M50's are not even in the same league in terms of sound quality. You (and me also) might not like their flat frequency response, but the sheer resolution of the sound and precision/accuracy/clarity is undeniably among the best <500$ headphones, and among the best closed headphones regardless of price. Tried them with a tube amp?

May 9, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #1,280 of 1,494
Quote:

I actually agree with you for once on the first part. I'd probably take the M50 over the K550, but KNS-8400 over the M50. K550 is a nice headphone but doesn't match my signature preferences.

I don't see how the K550 is the most overrated headphone..I mean not many people here seem to own it yet. I mean what is there..like 6 owners of the K550 here?

I think the most overrated (and overpriced!) headphone in the world is the HD-600
biggrin.gif

If I had a very specific list of requirements for a headphone the K550 might do the trick for me. If I listened to say 90% classical and wanted a good headphone for portable use that's easy to drive I'd definitely still own the K550. It's mids just didn't do it for me.

May 9, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #1,281 of 1,494
Quote:

I actually agree with you for once on the first part. I'd probably take the M50 over the K550, but KNS-8400 over the M50. K550 is a nice headphone but doesn't match my signature preferences.

I don't see how the K550 is the most overrated headphone..I mean not many people here seem to own it yet. I mean what is there..like 6 owners of the K550 here?

I think the most overrated (and overpriced!) headphone in the world is the HD-600
biggrin.gif

If I had a very specific list of requirements for a headphone the K550 might do the trick for me. If I listened to say 90% classical and wanted a good headphone for portable use that's easy to drive I'd definitely still own the K550. It's mids just didn't do it for me.

I think K550 with time will become one of those headphones you either love or hate (or more precisely, need or don't need), but you can't deny its a high quality product.

May 9, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #1,283 of 1,494
Quote:

I don't have DT770's, but I have heard the 80 ohm pro's a couple of times, and if I remember correctly they are very different sounding compared to K550. K550's are basically as flat as headphones get, nothing sticks out too much, nothing is sucked out either.

Quote:

biggrin.gif

I was just going to ask how the K550 compare to the Senn HD600's, with both being flat.
One being open and the other closed, are these two different enough to own both? (I'm really looking for a good excuse to get the K550)

And to my tastes, the HD 600's are my favorite cans, and the most underrated!
biggrin.gif

I got them for $260, and at that price, they are fan-tastic!

May 10, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #1,284 of 1,494
Quote:
What genres are these cans best suited for, or do really well with?

Since the frequency response for the K550 is pretty flat, I'd say they're suitable for just about any genre.

Quote:
I was just going to ask how the K550 compare to the Senn HD600's, with both being flat.
One being open and the other closed, are these two different enough to own both? (I'm really looking for a good excuse to get the K550)

I don't think the K550 provides enough of a difference from the Senns to justify owning both. Not saying that they sound exactly the same, but I just don't think there's enough of a difference between the two to warrant the purchase unless you need isolation sometimes.

I have the HD650, and I wouldn't own the K550 if I didn't need a closed can for the office. The D2000 is a much better change of pace from the Senns than the AKG is. I think the HD650 and D2000 are very good complementary cans.

May 10, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #1,285 of 1,494
Quote:

Since the frequency response for the K550 is pretty flat, I'd say they're suitable for just about any genre.

I don't think the K550 provides enough of a difference from the Senns to justify owning both. Not saying that they sound exactly the same, but I just don't think there's enough of a difference between the two to warrant the purchase unless you need isolation sometimes.

I have the HD650, and I wouldn't own the K550 if I didn't need a closed can for the office. The D2000 is a much better change of pace from the Senns than the AKG is. I think the HD650 and D2000 are very good complementary cans.

+1

May 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #1,286 of 1,494
Quote:

Nah, no way, M50's are not even in the same league in terms of sound quality. You (and me also) might not like their flat frequency response, but the sheer resolution of the sound and precision/accuracy/clarity is undeniably among the best <500$ headphones, and among the best closed headphones regardless of price. Tried them with a tube amp?

I would call the K550 anything but flat... I can live with the lower bass and the mids, but with a the treble-spike this huge... I'd call it V-shaped.
The detail-esque feeling is just the boosted treble... I'd even take a V6 over them, which are far more ballanced (might not give the same resolution though.

I fail to see them compete with any decent sub 500 phone.

May 10, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #1,287 of 1,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee inthe Attic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I already have a durable and comfortable closed set of cans that isolate well and don't leak much, in the Beyer DT 770 Pro-80's.
For those that have the K550's and the DT 770's, are they different sounding enough to justify owning both??

I just picked up the AKG K550s two days ago. I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-770 600ohm headphones and I was looking to upgrade a bit. I'm using them at work; at home I have HD 650s which I'm in love with, but unfortunately in a cubicle situation, HD 650s leak far too much, so I need closed headphones.

I'm using them with the Fiio E7/E9 combo and all FLAC source.
A few notes, comparing to the DT 770 600s:

I like the sound of the K550s better overall than the DT 770s. I'm not sure about the 80 ohm DT 770s, but the 600ohm ones are suuuper bassy. At first I thought the K550s weren't bassy enough, coming from the DT 770s, but after two days of listening I'm liking the sound much more.
I just went back to the DT 770s on Sara K's "What's A Little More Rain" (excellently recorded female vocal/acoustic guitar). I like the Beyers better for this - the vocals sound better to me. On the K550s, the vocals sound a little more veiled or muddy. The DT 770s are definitely warmer sounding.

But the K550s do excel in higher frequencies, and guitar sounds fantastic. I'd say that for rock they're pretty fantastic. For example:
Listening to Wolfmother's "Woman" on both headphones:
The drums sound much better on the AKGs. Better kick and definition on the cymbal and snare hits. On the DT 770s, the guitar sounds kind of in the background, whereas on the AKGs it's more in the front, which I think sounds better. The bass drums/bass guitar on the DT 770 overpowers everything and it just becomes a big muddy mess. On the AKGs everything is clearer; the guitar solo becomes really well defined and sounds awesome.

Overall, I would use these words to describe the K550s: Analytical, clear, clean, great treble, solid bass without overpowering, mids a bit veiled

As for comfort, I *highly* prefer the DT 770s with the velour earcups and highly padded headband. The earcups on the K550s are nice, but the headband is very uncomfortable for me. The padding is kind of thin, and after an hour or so of wearing it, the top of my head hurts where the headband is contacting it. Your mileage may vary, I'm sure not everyone will have this problem. I have a large head that's fairly "tall".

I have heard from other reviews that people have trouble getting a good seal with these but I haven't had a problem. If your head is narrow then you might have a problem because they don't clamp very much (not nearly as much as the DT 770s, or the HD 650s, which clamp a LOT). That being said, the cups are quite large and this is good because they can completely surround your ear without the ear touching the headphones. This is not possible for me with the DT 770s as the cups are a bit shallow and the outside of my ear touches the inside of the cup, which can be uncomfortable; but I've gotten used to it.

In conclusion, I like the K550s a lot but unless I can get over the headband pain (maybe they'll break in?), I will probably be selling them and maybe picking up some Denon AH-D2000s or something a bit more comfortable. I'll be keeping them for a little while so if anyone has any particular music they'd like me to give my impressions on, let me know.

Side note: I have a friend with the AKG K702s and he had the same headband problem I'm having with the K550s, initially, but it broke in and he doesn't experience it anymore. I'm hoping this will happen with the K550s but I think the headband is a different design than the K702s.

May 10, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #1,288 of 1,494
Got some more time with the K550s today. Admittedly, it wasn't an ideal setup, but oh well.

They are an interesting headphone. At first I was put off because they sounded like the sound was coming out of a hollow box, but then when I pressed the drivers right up to my head, they started sounding much more special! The headband felt pretty loose, and was preventing the cups from sealing to my (narrow, I guess) head, and that was dramatically changing the sound.

Is this a common trait to AKGs? The ATH-900x I tried on we're also having problems staying put on my head, and the sound would change as well, but not nearly as dramatic or detrimentally. Interesting...

May 11, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #1,290 of 1,494
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Interesting! Since both of us liked the KNS-8400. But we must have respected the 8400 for different reasons...
I think the K550 kills them in every regard. I tried the 8400 and gave a bit of time to get used to them again, but it was no use. The experience was similar to changing to an Ultrasone: muddy, slow and prominent bass, not as musically articulate throughout and everything just seemed a bit constrained in comparison. I find no veil in the mid-range of the K550. Definitely no huge treble spike/-s. Awfully resolute, but not monitor-like in your face kinda way. They're so smooth they work with any material. Everyone should try out the Jaco Pastorius live records (Birthday concert and Invitation): It's impossible to go back to listening to them with other headphones I own. 

The K550 is for a music lover, not an audiophile. Someone who is musical and listens to music firsthand. You don't miss a note (or a pitch it represents) or a beat with these. After these it seems I've overlooked many things using the 8400. I liked them too much and forgot about certain aspects. They gave a window to music in an exclusive way that worked for me for a while, but the K550 are just musically so holistic it's uncanny. :) ... Everyone should indeed give these a whirl and while doing so, however whirly, should listen to the music rather than think about hifi-phoolery adjectives to add to their qualities. However condescending that may sound, I think that's the premise we all share in this hobby. Or at least I hope we do :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back