AKG K550 - NEW!!
May 3, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #1,262 of 1,494
I have the k550 paired with the Fiio E17 and can't believe how it sounds. Bass is a huge improvement.

I have to say, I was a bit disappointed with the sound when using just an iPhone 4.

May 4, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #1,264 of 1,494
i've tried this headphone before and feel the pad really comfortable,  i do think the amount of clamping force based on our own head size.
coming from FA-003 the K550 sounds so full and got more bass but lack in bass impact (i mean quality to quantity aspect), really love the vocal though.

May 4, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #1,265 of 1,494
Quote:
I have to say, I was a bit disappointed with the sound when using just an iPhone 4.

I just had a chance to try these headphones out locally and I got the same impression when connected to just my iPhone 4. It sounds like it has so much more potential than what my poor phone was giving it. When my portable amp comes in, I'm gonna give it another try. The K550s seem really well made, though!

May 5, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #1,266 of 1,494
I just want to say thank you to all of you who replied to my post from the previous page. I understand more now what to expect if I buy the K550s and I also have some researching to do on the recommendations for other headphones/in-ear headphones so thanks again. 
wink.gif

May 7, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #1,267 of 1,494
My living situation will be changing (again) within the month, so I decided to look into the current closed-back offerings since isolation will (again) be a requirement for me.  I started with the headphone I had before, the Edition 8, and branched out from there.  The Signature Pro was just gaining a user base when I made the transition back to open 'phones and it looks like it has taken top billing for many Ed8 fans.  However, with my current "paring down" kick coupled with my newfound appreciation for sufficiency that replaced a "need" for perfection, I wanted to see what cheaper options were out there.  I first looked to Beyerdynamic as I've always loved the comfort of their mid-high tier offerings and there were some new products on the market that I had barely read about.  The prime candidate seemed to be the T70, but if impressions are to be believed it has some attributes that I find undesirable (bright, bass-light, relatively small soundstage) so that's out.  Continuing my search showed little else in the way of new contenders as the old mainstays are perpetually touted and recommended. (not that there's anything wrong with that... the HD600 is nearly 20 years old and is still my favorite all around open back)  This meant that tight, revealing, fast, spacious, and headphones neutral enough for absolute versatility were still in short supply.

Then along came some reading material for the K550.  I'll admit that I had been following this headphone since its announcement but stopped when impressions started rolling in.  I was reeled in by the aesthetic beauty of it and wondered, just as with the styling, if it would be somewhat of a sonic departure for AKG.  Early impressions, however, dubbed it a closed K701: sterile, bass-light, and treble-focused.  I understand the appeal of the K701 but admit that it's a headphone that I dislike.  Still, after reading Tyll's writeup over at Inner Fidelity I came over to this thread to read mixed reviews.  It all left me intrigued enough to at least see what kind of pricing I was able to find.  As it happens, I had access to it cheaply... and locally.  I picked one up today, let it cycle through some various content while I prepared/ate dinner, and then put in some head time with it.

I'm not going to go into great length here as I really need to let it run for at least a couple days before I truly put it through its paces, but on initial listen I'm firmly in the camp that LOVES this headphone!  Soundstaging is astounding for a sealed headphone, and not just because of its well above average size.  One thing that I really disliked about the K701 was the lack of cohesion in its presentation.  Individual instruments could sometimes sound too far away from side to side and there was often this feeling of empty space directly in front of me.  With the K550, it's not as spacious but still reminiscently large and without the abnormalities.  In addition, I do NOT think that this headphone is bright nor is it treble-centric or sibilant.  I would confidently describe it as largely neutral, flat, and uncolored.  In terms of the hotly contested bass debate, I find it to be very well done, never light, and more than satisfying when it's called upon.  This is coming from someone that has owned a Darth Beyer, V4 Terminator, PRO-900, and a current owner of an HFI-580.  It's not a headphone that "injects" bass where it's not present or pushes it forward of the rest of the spectrum when it's summoned.  It's, by my ears' account, spot-on.  Bass-heavy content sounds bassy and tickles my ear canals, not my pinna.  And yes, a good seal is absolutely required for proper bass performance. (as well as everything else from my quick muck around with the physical positioning of the cups)  If you're not hearing the lows with these, are not a basshead, and are absolutely certain that your source/content is not the issue, then I say man up and bend the headband a bit.  I coaxed it in a bit on each side for a tighter fit and it certainly made the response more even to my ears.

Does it lack the body of, say, my HD600?  Yes, and it sounds predictably dryer.  I love my HD600 (especially after getting the Cardas cable) for its involvingly lifelike sense of weight while still maintaining a balanced frequency response and avoiding sounding slow. (the problem that I have with Denons, for example)  However, I do find the K550 to be involving (possibly equally so) but for a different reason: it's an extremely high resolution headphone for any price range that expertly/effortlessly conveys every detail.  Additionally, it does so without any noticeable accentuation of them. (despite the treble spike present in the graphs... I can't say I have yet to definitively detect it)  But make no mistake, this is an analytical headphone and will make the recording quality and mixing/production choices a large factor in your appreciation of specific content.  For me this attribute is a huge plus, bit it could absolutely be a negative for the large part of this forum that revels in "smooth" presentations.  That isn't to say that they're abnormally rigid, they're not, but they're true to the content for better or worse.  Interestingly, one of the peaks of my excitement came when I took off the 1/4" and simply ran them out of my MacBook's headphone port.  I was readily able to hear clear differences between iTunes, Amarra Full, and Amarra Hifi. (thanks to Computer Audiophile for the freebie!)  That's something I've only minimally experienced with the Edition 8 and have never been able to do with any other headphone.  As a package and limiting to what I've owned, only the Ed8 encompassed both the lifelike presentation of the HD600 and the revealing nature of the K550, but it took some component rolling that ultimately turned into $1000 of complimentary equipment for me to find my ideal performance and even then there was some of the aforementioned rigidity that could make them relentless with the worst recordings.

This was more long winded than I intended and assuredly a bit scatterbrained, but the K550 deserves praise.  It's a great headphone for the right audience that can be had for a hell of a good price.  It's certainly not for everyone but its technicalities are impossible to ignore.  Even on this cursory listen, I'd implore anyone with an interest in these headphones to make a refundable purchase and give them a proper audition.  I'm looking forward to seeing how the sound evolves as I get some more hours of them and try some different components.

May 7, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #1,269 of 1,494
Quote:
^ Great impressions! You may have convinced me to buy one (after sitting on the fence for quite some time).

Thank you and I hope that you give it a try.  When opinions are varied, there's little else you can do but find a way to put in some head time and form your own.  As written above, find a dealer that will allow you a full refund.

A few things that I didn't touch on above was the build quality and comfort.  I'll echo others' sentiments that the K550 is a very sturdy headphone with uncommonly handsome aesthetics.  The plastic feels solid, the aluminum/metal touches inspire confidence, the padding doesn't feel or look the least bit cheap (none of that shiny, crinkly mess) despite being pleather, and the cable is well secured and nicely finished.  They're a bit on the heavy side, however, which feels great in the hand but does weigh on the head when you first start listening.  This coupled with the lack of padding on the headband and the way that it sits on just the very top of my head makes for so-so comfort.  Better weight distribution would've been welcome.  After about 10 minutes they start to disappear and by 15 I don't even notice them anymore unless I shift enough to make them move, so it's not a deal breaker for me.  After angling the earpads so they press a bit more firmly at the bottom than the top they're extremely comfortable.  I wear these on the smallest size and have a round and assumedly average sized head.  They're a tough recommendation for those with smaller heads, but as stated above you could always try to bend the headband as it seems to be plenty sturdy.

That said, has anyone tried any comfort "mods" on the headband?  It's been a while since I owned a Beyer so I can't remember if it would fit or not, but has anyone tried adding one of their headpads to it? (like the one on the DT770)

May 7, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #1,270 of 1,494
heard this at the mongolia (home theater section in select best-buy stores, they recently added a wall with some decent 100-300 dollar headphones) and i was quite impressed.

still have the mid-fi veil, but they where surprisingly detailed and smooth, with an enjoyable sound signature. maybe slightly below the k701 due to their closed-ness, but with much needed weight in the mids and bass. i liked them quite a bit with their price well justified. 

May 7, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #1,272 of 1,494
May 8, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #1,273 of 1,494
Quote:

...I wear these on the smallest size and have a round and assumedly average sized head.  They're a tough recommendation for those with smaller heads, but as stated above you could always try to bend the headband as it seems to be plenty sturdy.

That said, has anyone tried any comfort "mods" on the headband?  It's been a while since I owned a Beyer so I can't remember if it would fit or not, but has anyone tried adding one of their headpads to it? (like the one on the DT770)

These are my first full-size headphones. My only other previous higher-end phones were in-ear (Shure SE-530 and 535s), so I'm hesitant to offer in-depth thoughts on the K550s yet--maybe later.

But I was interested to read your comment about head size. I can confidently say that I have as large of a head as anyone that I have ever met. And yet, I have the K550s on the "5" size (that's on a scale of 1 to 12, I think). I was very surprised by this. Granted, I have (a lot) less hair than I used to, so maybe that accounts for part of it. But it has left me wondering if some people have found these headphones to be way too big.

I said I wouldn't offer in-depth thoughts on these given my lack of exposure to full-size headphones, but I will say that I do like them a lot. I find them very comfortable. Though I haven't owned other full-sized phones, I have tried some on briefly and even with brief wearing, none were as comfortable as these. Though after very extended sessions, the top of my somewhat pointed head starts to feel just a little bit sore (I should look into these "mods" that Curly21029 is talking about; I don't know anything about that, but would be interested if anyone has any comments on it). Don't read too much into that, though: they are extremely comfortable for me, and it's only after wearing them for a good while that I feel like I should take them off.  I also really dig the looks, styling, and solid build.

Even so, I'm still trying to decide if I should audition some other headphones. I want closed phones for environmental reasons, and these have so far been well-reviewed. But I just might try out one other pair before my 60-day trial is up.

May 9, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #1,274 of 1,494
These are the nicest looking headphones I've ever seen in this price bracket. just wow.

I'm debating getting these, even though I don't really need them.
I already have a durable and comfortable closed set of cans that isolate well and don't leak much, in the Beyer DT 770 Pro-80's.
For those that have the K550's and the DT 770's, are they different sounding enough to justify owning both??

I like everything about the Dt 770's, except the mids, which are too sucked out for my taste. How are the mids on the K550's?

May 9, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #1,275 of 1,494
Quote:
For those that have the K550's and the DT 770's, are they different sounding enough to justify owning both??

I like everything about the Dt 770's, except the mids, which are too sucked out for my taste. How are the mids on the K550's?

I don't consider them similar sounding at all. 

I demo'ed the DT770, and I didn't like how the mids and vocals sounded on it. The K550 definitely has a much better midrange as well as less sibilant highs. You give up some bass in the switch though. I think the AKG is punchy, but bassheads might not be satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back