AKG K550 - NEW!!
May 2, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #1,246 of 1,494
I think they're about the same in size, however the pads are not thicker on the rear side like the K701, on the K550 they're the same thickness all around the pad.

May 2, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #1,247 of 1,494
I'm planning on buying a pair of K550s but wanted to know what people thought about wearing them walking, on the bus or train etc? Are they uncomfortable, too heavy or are they fine once you get used to them? I have no issue in what they look like to others, I just want to make sure that they're not too unwieldy.

I appreciate any advice you guys can offer.

May 2, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #1,248 of 1,494
Quote:
I'm planning on buying a pair of K550s but wanted to know what people thought about wearing them walking, on the bus or train etc? Are they uncomfortable, too heavy or are they fine once you get used to them? I have no issue in what they look like to others, I just want to make sure that they're not too unwieldy.

Way too huge I'd say! Of course then again, some wear the Q701 in public.

May 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #1,249 of 1,494
Quote:

I like them big, but they don't isolate well, are bulky (not nice around your neck) and the stock-cable is too long by default.

May 2, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #1,250 of 1,494
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm finding it very difficult to find a pair of headphones that sound great and that I can use when out and about that won't weigh me down or be too cumbersome. I really have my heart set on a pair of circumaural headphones, as on-ear headphones seem pointless to me as the sound escapes everywhere; I have a pair of Koss Porta Pro and don't understand why everyone keeps recommending them.

In order to get the best sound from whatever headphones I buy, I'm going to have to seriously considering switching my playback device as I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S II (Android handset) which most likely is not going to cut it. Any suggestions that won't break the bank or will a FiiO E7 Portable Headphone DAC Amplifier suffice in conjunction with my phone?

May 2, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #1,251 of 1,494
Quote:

I'm finding it very difficult to find a pair of headphones that sound great and that I can use when out and about that won't weigh me down or be too cumbersome. I really have my heart set on a pair of circumaural headphones, as on-ear headphones seem pointless to me as the sound escapes everywhere; I have a pair of Koss Porta Pro and don't understand why everyone keeps recommending them.

In order to get the best sound from whatever headphones I buy, I'm going to have to seriously considering switching my playback device as I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S II (Android handset) which most likely is not going to cut it. Any suggestions that won't break the bank or will a FiiO E7 Portable Headphone DAC Amplifier suffice in conjunction with my phone?

The Koss Porta Pro is an open headphone. I believe people recommend themnot due to isolation but due to actually give quite good and easy to live with sound in a small package for hardly any money at all nowadays :)

Dunno about the Samsung Galaxy S II but it doesn´t have to be that bad really as a DAC.

I did try the K550  for an hour or so in reasonable good conditions. Some Onkyo CD player and Rega New ear as headphone amplifiers. Also tried with my Ipod touch 3G and Yamaha EPH-100 as reference and some Audio Technica A500 and A900 they also had for demo. EPH-100 stood out a bit as bass monsters in this group as expected. Took a while before particularly the K550 sounded right much due to this. Dunno if it was the setup but the K550 didn´t really impress me that much still after 40 minutes with it.  The Audio Technicas was so much more pleasant to actually listen to music to. K550 being a bit dry and harsh often and not really convincing. Maybe it would be super on my tube amp though not impossible. Had a hard time grasping how well it isolated but it was obviously no way near the EPH-100s and didn´t appear to be that much better then the AT:s. But taking it home to my computer fans would be the real test.

May 2, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #1,252 of 1,494
Quote:

I would recommend the B&W P5 headphones for this, if you find them comfortable. They're on-ear, but seal well and have good isolation. I was very happy with how mine sounded, I just didn't find them comfortable for long periods of time (several hours) but that's probably due to the shape of my ears. Sealed circumaural headphones are all going to be big.

The alternative is IEMs, which I'm personally not a fan of.

Quote:
I did try the K550  for an hour or so in reasonable good conditions. Some Onkyo CD player and Rega New ear as headphone amplifiers. Also tried with my Ipod touch 3G and Yamaha EPH-100 as reference and some Audio Technica A500 and A900 they also had for demo. EPH-100 stood out a bit as bass monsters in this group as expected. Took a while before particularly the K550 sounded right much due to this. Dunno if it was the setup but the K550 didn´t really impress me that much still after 40 minutes with it.  The Audio Technicas was so much more pleasant to actually listen to music to. K550 being a bit dry and harsh often and not really convincing. Maybe it would be super on my tube amp though not impossible. Had a hard time grasping how well it isolated but it was obviously no way near the EPH-100s and didn´t appear to be that much better then the AT:s. But taking it home to my computer fans would be the real test.

The A900 are open-backed headphones, and while the A500 are closed-back, they are not sealed headphones like the AKG K550. They don't have anything approaching the bass extension of the K550 either. The EPH-100s are IEMs.
What makes the K550 impressive, is that they are sealed circumaural headphones, that don't sound it at all. It's a strange selection of headphones to be comparing.

May 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #1,253 of 1,494
AD900 is open. A900 closed http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/product.asp?catID=5&subID=37&prodID=4004. I would expect you are right about the bass extension from the ATs I owned previously. I wasn´t overly impressed by the bass on the K550 neither though. But I suppose I am a bit spoiled there by other headphones. Anyway it was mostly the mid range where I found potential problems on the K550. I know ATs don´t seal all that well from personal experience so it was a bit of a disappointment the K550 not being clearly better on this audition. But hard to tell since it was relatively quiet and the EPH-100 made them all look awful in  this area.

May 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #1,254 of 1,494
Quote:
Only over ear headphone I tried that is okay with glasses was the AD 700. I always have my glasses on top of the ear cups. No difference to be without glasses. Is the size of the K550 cups similar to the K701s?

Dannybai how do you find the isolation compared to your Pro 900?

After a quick test, I'd say it's almost a draw.  Neither isolate really well but the AKG's might isolate slightly more if any.  

May 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #1,255 of 1,494
Quote:

After a quick test, I'd say it's almost a draw.  Neither isolate really well but the AKG's might isolate slightly more if any.  

Thanks.

May 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #1,256 of 1,494
Quote:

I'd consider the Sony MDR-Z1000 as well

May 3, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #1,257 of 1,494
Quote:
AD900 is open. A900 closed http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/product.asp?catID=5&subID=37&prodID=4004. I would expect you are right about the bass extension from the ATs I owned previously. I wasn´t overly impressed by the bass on the K550 neither though. But I suppose I am a bit spoiled there by other headphones. Anyway it was mostly the mid range where I found potential problems on the K550. I know ATs don´t seal all that well from personal experience so it was a bit of a disappointment the K550 not being clearly better on this audition. But hard to tell since it was relatively quiet and the EPH-100 made them all look awful in  this area.

Really? I found the A900 I used to own to have very very recessed midrange.

May 3, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #1,258 of 1,494
I too thought the K550's were lacking bass, but the issue was only a poor seal.  I adjusted the band so there is more pressure on my ears(still comfy though), but there is still much more bass if I press on the cans.  So how does one get a better seal other than listening with a vice on their head?  :D

May 3, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #1,259 of 1,494
Quote:
I too thought the K550's were lacking bass, but the issue was only a poor seal.  I adjusted the band so there is more pressure on my ears(still comfy though), but there is still much more bass if I press on the cans.  So how does one get a better seal other than listening with a vice on their head?  :D

You can't get a proper seal with around-ear headphones without proper clamping force. I said in my impressions of K550 that I feel the headband is a major design failure. Its way too thin and springy, there's no way it can ever seal properly. The only solution is, thick, soft ear pads  (thicker in the rear) and strong clamping force. That way you can get comfort AND proper seal. 

May 3, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #1,260 of 1,494
Quote:

You can't get a proper seal with around-ear headphones without proper clamping force. I said in my impressions of K550 that I feel the headband is a major design failure. Its way too thin and springy, there's no way it can ever seal properly. The only solution is, thick, soft ear pads  (thicker in the rear) and strong clamping force. That way you can get comfort AND proper seal. 

How would one go about replacing the ear pads?  Where can they be purchased?  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back