AKG K550 - NEW!!
Dec 13, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #721 of 1,494
iPod marketed products usually don't have a 3 meter cable attached to them 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
As we know with most things aimed at an ipod market they can still scale up massively with decent equipment. I imagine that's geared towards the 'i want to spend money on headphones because they're expensive and i don't want beats' crowd (probably the biggest market). No doubt they'll sound okay without an amp but will hopefully improve a lot with amplification... As mentioned in this weeks head-fi tv T5p! :)

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #724 of 1,494
Odd. I thought the iPod was a waste for AKG use, not the other way around. Actually, the iPod Classic is quite fantastic. Also, the old iPod Mini G2 is excellent for anything over 50Ω and still sensitive (like my K171 and K142), so maybe not the K550.

Also, AKG's seem to like a good current load... up to 60mA. Many portable players give out well before even 40mA. I don't know where the current iPods and iPhones stand, but I'm willing to bet you're barely getting into the 30's and the voltage output isn't likely to exceed 1.5. Maximum on my AKG's is 3.3V and 59mA before I start to burn 'em up. My ears don't really like going past 2V anyway... with similar current draw.

I'm willing to bet that if you get an amp with less than 4Ω output impedance and it can supply 60mA, then you'll be sitting pretty. JDS Labs sells an amp called the Objective2 (O2) that meets those requirements. Also, the Grado RA1 amp does as well.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #726 of 1,494

Quote:
Only 175 EUR here in Denmark

eek.gif
"Fait chier" la France,lol.

You're lucky, 175 euros even with reduction its an excellent price.

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #729 of 1,494

Quote:
OK I DID IT
They're on their way!

Only 175 EUR here in Denmark (both 7 and 9 % price reduction!)
Can't wait

That is a great price, and for that I would gladly recommend the K550!

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #730 of 1,494
I sent off an email to both headphone bar as well as the new distributor for the AKG k550, Jam Industries. They explained they were expecting the phones late december but they couldn't confirm an ETA for me. So I would suspect that January seems realistic by the time they get across the country to headphone bar. Seems as though there are a couple contrasting reviews on head-fi in different threads....one says too sibilant, and another says they have evened out nicely. Will be very eager to test out when they arrive.

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #731 of 1,494

Quote:
Any one have ordered (or received update) from Headphone Bar on the AKG K550 deal???

No, they still have the update from Dec. 1 -- that they're not taking any more pre-orders until they know more about when they'll actually have the 550s.  Unfortunately, the price has gone from $250 to $300 in the last day or so...

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #733 of 1,494

I wonder if they will honour preorders at the original price? I don't have experience through headphonebar...has anyone ran into this through them before?
Quote:

No, they still have the update from Dec. 1 -- that they're not taking any more pre-orders until they know more about when they'll actually have the 550s.  Unfortunately, the price has gone from $250 to $300 in the last day or so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back