AKG K550 - NEW!!
Dec 10, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #706 of 1,494
My next workday is on monday, so I haven't had the chance to continue testing the K550, but there were definite similiarities between them and K701 in general terms. These do NOT sound like K240S och K242HD which I have also owned. K550 is brighter out of the box at least. I have not heard the K271 so I can't comment on those.

I'll get back and comment on monday.

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #708 of 1,494

Quote:
I'm going to guess the M50 will be the better headphone.  They're pretty great headphones.  And I have no faith in HarmanKG.

NO.

I have the M50, I have given a good listen to the K550 and the 550 were way better. None of that awful top-end lisp and a far superior bass. Plus a bit better soundstage.

Dec 12, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #710 of 1,494

Quote:
NO.

I have the M50, I have given a good listen to the K550 and the 550 were way better. None of that awful top-end lisp and a far superior bass. Plus a bit better soundstage.

Superior bass and bit better soundstage? K550 are speculated to be bass shy as k701. M50 doesn't have a wide soundstage and AKG engineers boast to make an open headphones experience.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #711 of 1,494

Quote:
Superior bass and bit better soundstage? K550 are speculated to be bass shy as k701. M50 doesn't have a wide soundstage and AKG engineers boast to make an open headphones experience.

To be fair, good quality bass doesn't necessarily mean good quantity.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #712 of 1,494
had some more time with the K550 at work today, they have been left for burn-in over the weekend. They are definately NOT as sibilant as before and sound noticeably better and more balanced. Like the K701 they don't have huge amounts of bass, but what's there is detailed and goes quite deep. It sure does sound somewhat like K701 in general terms, which I'd say is pretty impressive considering that it's a closed can. They did sound like *** out of my Iphone 4S though, even on recordings I know should sound good. Most of the bass is gone and it suddenly felt sibilant again. don't know how much of that is because of the sub-par DAC of the iphone 4S but the amp in it certainly isn't good enough for this headphone.

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #715 of 1,494

Quote:

No, those are definitely not bass shy. Chain was an Algorythm solo into a Grado headamp and with that, the bass was really weighty and plenty. I was seriously impressed by it I had the 701 eight next to demo, put it on and took it off instantly thanks to no bass. Bass was judged from:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxgGAnLvMwQ
And it was deep and dark and massive and impressive.

I admit, I am not the best judge of soundtage width since for me the M50 out of my mini-i already gave me the impression of really wide space with trance soundtracks. Plus my listening was mostly dedicated to the overall sound and I really liked what I heard. Like I already wrote, the only thing I couldn't judge was speed, the demo ipod was aparently by Relaxoman and Chillboy
wink_face.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #717 of 1,494
unfortunately I have not heard any shure headphones, it's one of my to-do brands :)

I don't know about the amp section in your ipod, but I was not impressed with the current iphone 4S. I have a jdslabs cmoy I could take to work and test it with, it worked wonders on my sony mdr-z1000 with the iphone so it shoud do the trick with the K550 too I hope :)

Dec 12, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #718 of 1,494
Thank you for your answer msninja.

I am a "beginner" and do not have any hifi-equipment, I want some good cans, and then I fell in love with these..
But I don't know if K 550 is too "good"and expensive for my PC and iPod nano without amp. Should I look for something cheaper instead, or will I get nice audio for all the 200EUR even with iPod and PC? :)

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #719 of 1,494
Considering AKG has the K550 marketed as an iPod compatible can on their website it's rather strange the K550 doesn't sound good on an iPod.

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #720 of 1,494

Quote:
Considering AKG has the K550 marketed as an iPod compatible can on their website it's rather strange the K550 doesn't sound good on an iPod.

As we know with most things aimed at an ipod market they can still scale up massively with decent equipment. I imagine that's geared towards the 'i want to spend money on headphones because they're expensive and i don't want beats' crowd (probably the biggest market). No doubt they'll sound okay without an amp but will hopefully improve a lot with amplification... As mentioned in this weeks head-fi tv T5p! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back