AKG K550 - NEW!!
Oct 24, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #526 of 1,494
Oct 24, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #528 of 1,494

Quote:
Quote:
How much more clear does it have to be?  Headphones are fun but if your set up is lacking you will have problem. Your transport/source has to be reliable and if so should have the tone/sound you prefer. Next up is the amplifier. Once you have tried a few of those you can be more precise with what you want. 

Regarding AKG and bass: I tend to like headphones like the K400/K500 and K240 DF which are often called 'bass light'. It depends on the amplifier you use in combination with the recording you are playing how bassy the AKGs will sound. I have noticed that with the K400 and K500 I need about 5 dB in gain to wake them up and for the DF (600 ohms mind you) about 10 dB in gain. Volume stays on say 7:30. These have more bass than you think but to expect that every piece of music should be brimming with bass is a misconception for which I can only forgive bassheads/addicts.

The K550 is 32 ohms right? I should be driven by tiny DAPs. Well the K701 was 63 ohms and it needed at least as much amplification as my DF. Given that this is in some ways typical AKG the K550 might be tricky to power but I should try one before making any such statement. For now the K550 is just something I am curious about yet I prefer to ignore it until I can audition it with my reference tracks. 

Well, the AKG official website states that these new k550 were designed with the purpose of being very easy to drive.
Indeed it states max power 200 mW or sth like that if I remember well. 

Impedance is not the only magnitude that comes into play

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #529 of 1,494
@FritzS Thanks, your input is valued
bigsmile_face.gif

All we need now is for AKG to start pushing these things out!

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #531 of 1,494
FritzS or KANA,

Would you please let me know about the overall soundstage of these K550s?
In other words, when you listen to them, do you feel that you are sitting:

1) on the stage, with music performance around you, very close; or
2) at the front row of the music hall/theater; or
3) at the middle of the music hall/theater; or
4) at the back of the music hall/theater; or

I would use them out of iPhone 3GS or Hifiman HM-801, without additional amp as portable. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #532 of 1,494
Quote:
Well, the AKG official website states that these new k550 were designed with the purpose of being very easy to drive.
Indeed it states max power 200 mW or sth like that if I remember well. 

Impedance is not the only magnitude that comes into play

I know, that is why I gave you the information about the gain and volume settings that proved worthwhile for me. 

For your information, the Pioneer Monitor 10R would not wake up until amplified and it was only 35 ohms. It takes up to 3000 mW according to specifications. My Panasonic RP-HTX7 opened up with amplification in its presentation and that is only a standard 32 ohm headphone. The vintage 8 ohm headphones can be very efficient and yet thrive when amplified. Impedance is only one factor and it usually takes a bit of time to find the best amplification settings for some headphones. 

Whatever the manufacturer tells me, I take it with a grain of salt...

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #534 of 1,494
I'm liking what AKG is doing they're finally putting out some different cans and it's about time. The 550's form factor is beautiful with a touch of the modern and a touch of the classic AKG look. If they sound as good as they look AKG may finally be back in the game.

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #535 of 1,494
I'm not sure, looks kind of prosumer oriented.

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #536 of 1,494
I can't wait until these hit our shores in Australia, their clean, modern look alone will sell to the savvy 
fashion conscious.

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #537 of 1,494
tight jeans, v-neck, 3mm stubble and a k550 pumping idie, plugged into an iphone 
cool.gif
  I can just imagine.

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #538 of 1,494
And if you're in Melbourne ~ custom single speed road racer bicycle riding down Smith St or Brunswick St.

Compulsory scarf in your wake if it's in winter, K550's around your neck. Sorted.

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #539 of 1,494

Short question, by the early tests it does remind me of the AKG K530, besides design are the similarities in sound quality??

............Otherwise its partly foldable which is great, good material choices and yes it looks quite fashionable

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #540 of 1,494
Quote:
I'm liking what AKG is doing they're finally putting out some different cans and it's about time. The 550's form factor is beautiful with a touch of the modern and a touch of the classic AKG look. If they sound as good as they look AKG may finally be back in the game.

The newest AKGs I've had were the K 601 and the K 315 buds. AKG's previous efforts in these price ranges were the K 501 and the K 314 buds, which I also had. To be honest, the K 601 is not as good as the K 501, and the K 315 is notably worse than the K 314 – for the same price.

I'm very concerned about AKG's new direction. They are apparently going for Senn-type market saturation, but lack the resources to do it properly. That, or I just don't fit their target audience.

Hopefully they're onto something better here, but I wouldn't be too trusting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back