AKG K550 - NEW!!
Sep 13, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #408 of 1,494

Quote:
First off, you're quoting me from weeks if not months ago (can't be bothered to go back and read the time stamp) - second off - what I was saying was 100% right. I was saying this would be their closed flagship, and there is no closed headphone in their range anywhere near this price point.

oh sorry about that then

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #409 of 1,494

Quote:
Have a little patience. Prices will be dropped.
When reviews start typing "very little bass, 'plastic' feel over voices, lacking excitement, cold-sounding", etc K550 will be cheaper than 701/702

Why is it there's always a group of people waiting in the peanut gallery to BBQ a new can before they've even had a chance to listen to it?

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #410 of 1,494
People who see those adjectives as relevant in a negative way often seek a riveting sound more so than accurate music reproduction that lets you appreciate the art. 

But I agree. One should not bash or praise something that lacks experimentation. I show a positive approach to these based on the words at the Chinese site, but I could never truly know apriori. Could be ponkine just fears another headphone, that shares some of the same adjectives floating around he so much despises, to be in the makings... I think this makes his post more justified :)

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #411 of 1,494
Man these look sexy as a supermodel in leather! and huge, are they for portables?

OK I'm a newbie in this thread, inform me please. price, date of release? hope they dont have the ipod control cable, it seems quite popular latelly.

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #412 of 1,494

Quote:
An oddity, a hi-end closed AKG and withouth the mandatory AKG headband design. IMO it doesnt even look enteresting, besides it look like a 150$ DJ headphone. we are yet to see if the sounds saves it.

I think I'll keep my K601, thanks.

It doesn't look like a dj style to me...

Sep 15, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #414 of 1,494

Quote:
^ lol that was like 3 months ago and I think it was due to a photo of a guy using them? idk

the AKG website is a trully mess, is even hard to find known stull like the K601 there.

Face it since Harmon Kardon bought AKG the whole company has been a mess. Even their pricing doesn't seem to make sense sometimes.

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #415 of 1,494

Quote:
Face it since Harmon Kardon bought AKG the whole company has been a mess. Even their pricing doesn't seem to make sense sometimes.

not to mention the colorful editions of old headphones, and the lack of a true flagship. Old AKG seemed to be better indeed.

maybe the K550 makes it up for it?

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #416 of 1,494

Quote:
not to mention the colorful editions of old headphones, and the lack of a true flagship. Old AKG seemed to be better indeed.

I hope so, a month ago I heard Armaegis's (one of our fellow V-moda reviewers)  K240 through his Bottlehead Crack amp and loved the sound. Makes me wonder what the heck happened to AKG? I've heard the MKII 271 and it's a nice sounding headphone and as I understand it the 271 is just a downsized version of the K701/2. It's a good sounding headphone don't get me wrong but the K240 in my opinion was a great sounding headphone. Right now I'm hoping the closed design and supposedly completely different drivers inside those cups will mean a departure from AKG's current known house sound.

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #417 of 1,494

Quote:
I hope so, a month ago I heard Armaegis's (one of our fellow V-moda reviewers)  K240 through his Bottlehead Crack amp and loved the sound. Makes me wonder what the heck happened to AKG? I've heard the MKII 271 and it's a nice sounding headphone and as I understand it the 271 is just a downsized version of the K701/2. It's a good sounding headphone don't get me wrong but the K240 in my opinion was a great sounding headphone. Right now I'm hoping the closed design and supposedly completely different drivers inside those cups will mean a departure from AKG's current known house sound.

They at least have the looks covered which is fresh considering the embarrassing looking gear we usually have.

Quote:

If it's at least better than the Audio Technica M50.

Sep 16, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #419 of 1,494

Quote:
^ lol that was like 3 months ago and I think it was due to a photo of a guy using them? idk

the AKG website is a trully mess, is even hard to find known stull like the K601 there.

Absolutely agreed. The search engine is worse than on wikipedia.

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #420 of 1,494
Lot of rose tinted nostalgia for "old AKG" - their headphones might have been impressive compared to what was available at the time, but compared to today's headphones (including Harman AKG's) the "legendary" sextett, playback, k340 just don't stand up. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back