AKG k550 alternate ear pads?
Apr 25, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #76 of 173
The email I sent my request to was hcgcustomersupport@harman.com which took 3 days to get a response. The email reply I posted earlier in the thread came from parts4@harman.com.

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #77 of 173
Thanks have sent it to both email addresses, but I have just noticed its the same harmon akg support email via the contact page on there website.

So it must all rely to the same email place, I think I will get the same contact angie @ spare parts line like I got before which she don't bother with. I think ill give a call to her next week if I ain't got no reply by the end of the week.

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #78 of 173
Right getting somewhere!

email: hcgcustomersupport@harman.com

ask for AKG K550 ear pad replacements and state where you are from (US or UK etc), they will give you a local spare parts department with contact number.
Don't bother with emailing its hit and miss for me they did not bother to email back even!

For UK

Call Angie : 01728 746500

Ask for ear pad replacement parts for AKG K550
or :
The Part # is:3280M12020
The Part # is:3280M12010

Cost £19.50 with Vat + shipping

She has to get them from Belgium so it takes 3-4 working days to get to you.

Her full details are below:

Angie
Fullers Electronic   
Technical Centre
Riverside View
Wickham Market IP13 0TA
e-mail: angie@kenwoodspares.co.uk
Spare Parts No: 01728 746500
(Note: This line is shut between 12pm-1pm)
Open:  
Monday-Thursday 9.00-17.30 GMT
Friday 9.00-16.30

Ill get mine hopefully end of this week or early next week, otherwise they are in stock so no AKG K550 owners need to suffer !

May 7, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #79 of 173
Got my new replacement pads took them a few extra days so about 1.5 week in total to ship to me in UK for just under £20, they sent the pads to spare parts company (fullers) and then to me not sure why they didn't just post directly to my work address would have got them days sooner.

Anyhow as you can see I really needed new ear pads they got worse due to AKG taking the better part of 2 years to release replacement pads:

http://postimg.org/image/v8yp4x3e9/

When I took the old ones off it did not matter could tear them off really, the new replacement pads came with the sponges and all you do have to have patience and take your time when sliding the replacements into the cup. You may have to stretch and pull the them over the cups gap for it to slide in and do this slowly bit by bit, if you try to rush or pull too much you could rip them.

At first these look different to my original pads, these new ones were greyish in colour and much smaller then the originals as you can see here:

http://postimg.org/image/pat0qi40t/

But don't fear, once they go on ear cup they fill in and widen must be that memory foam, I also took care of that cable warping around itself issue by using spiral cable tie !

http://postimg.org/image/v98umjfmf/

No difference in sound quality also, they greyish colour bit ? not sure perhaps it was like that when they came anyhow these are the right ones they even have the L/R stamped on it, happy AKG customer again.

May 13, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #81 of 173
Just a FYI, cityle on the K553 thread posted some pics and impressions about the HM5 pads.

The HM5 pads fit on the K553. You need to stretch it a little before and take your time while putting it, preferably by grabbing half of the pads with your hand. What I noticed:
-Better seal
-Therefore bass more present (and also the sound seems a little bit better define but not sure)
-My ears don't touch at all to the drivers and they are comfortable

-They get hotter than the stock pad and more quickly

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #83 of 173
Would you care to explain the procedure you followed for replacing them? Thinking of trying the same but don't want to mess it up.

They simply just wrap around the ring thing on the K550s, similar to how the stock pads attack. The alpha pads do require a modest stretch to get them on though, nothing too much, but a tiny tug. Notice that the alpha pads come rectangular-ish (because of the shape of MrSpeakers' headphones) though they will conform to the K550's circular shape.

The price for the pads was a bit steep ($60 + shipping), but boy do these lambskins feel exquisite. Perhaps the comfiest pads I own, even slightly better than my LCD2.2's lambskins.

The pads retain the signature K550 sound, with a modest increase in its lower end slam. Normally you would think this would cause the bass to bloat, but luckily the pads keeps the bass nice and tight.

Also mentioned above, the soundstage increases a tiny but because of the increased distance between your ears and the drivers. But there's no hollowness to the sound nor did it become more sterile. Quite simply one of the most open sounding closed headphones I've listened to, only bested by the TH900.

In my experience, I feel that the pads were worth the price. The seal is substantially better, and now I can wear my glasses with the K550. Though I still prefer having them on without glasses for maximum seal. The original stock pads had issues with seal even without glasses.

Hope this helps!

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #85 of 173
When I took the old ones off it did not matter could tear them off really, the new replacement pads came with the sponges and all you do have to have patience and take your time when sliding the replacements into the cup. You may have to stretch and pull the them over the cups gap for it to slide in and do this slowly bit by bit, if you try to rush or pull too much you could rip them.

FWIW, K550 pads are very easy to install. Notice the slit in the metal lip on the cup that holds the pad in place. Simply side the outer part of the pad into the slit and then rotate until the pad is fully in place. A 1 minute job.

Jun 5, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #86 of 173
They simply just wrap around the ring thing on the K550s, similar to how the stock pads attack. The alpha pads do require a modest stretch to get them on though, nothing too much, but a tiny tug. Notice that the alpha pads come rectangular-ish (because of the shape of MrSpeakers' headphones) though they will conform to the K550's circular shape.

The price for the pads was a bit steep ($60 + shipping), but boy do these lambskins feel exquisite. Perhaps the comfiest pads I own, even slightly better than my LCD2.2's lambskins.

The pads retain the signature K550 sound, with a modest increase in its lower end slam. Normally you would think this would cause the bass to bloat, but luckily the pads keeps the bass nice and tight.

Also mentioned above, the soundstage increases a tiny but because of the increased distance between your ears and the drivers. But there's no hollowness to the sound nor did it become more sterile. Quite simply one of the most open sounding closed headphones I've listened to, only bested by the TH900.

In my experience, I feel that the pads were worth the price. The seal is substantially better, and now I can wear my glasses with the K550. Though I still prefer having them on without glasses for maximum seal. The original stock pads had issues with seal even without glasses.

Hope this helps!

Sounds awesome I would have imagined the real lamb leather would not be possible to provide a memory foam type seal like the original K550 pleather pads do?  Don't the leather pads leak more noise ?

FWIW, K550 pads are very easy to install. Notice the slit in the metal lip on the cup that holds the pad in place. Simply side the outer part of the pad into the slit and then rotate until the pad is fully in place. A 1 minute job.

I tried just that, at first it did not go in once I rotated it so tried pushing it so it was about a quarter ways in and rotated it kept sliding off sadly, maybe my skills are not good !  It took a good 5-10 minutes of carefully stretching it over the slit there were a few times I thought it may tear but it did not with some luck !

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #87 of 173
Got up these King Size DIY Bass Plus Soft Ear Pads Cushion For AKG K550 K551 K553 off Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261886607985

I've been listening to my HP50s for the last week, so I can't give you a comparison between how my K550s used to sound and sound now. These pads are installed using adhesive, so I can't switch them in and out.

So far, I like them. Definitely all seal/fitment issues are gone. And yes. The bass is still there :)

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #88 of 173
Got up these King Size DIY Bass Plus Soft Ear Pads Cushion For AKG K550 K551 K553 off Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261886607985

I've been listening to my HP50s for the last week, so I can't give you a comparison between how my K550s used to sound and sound now. These pads are installed using adhesive, so I can't switch them in and out.

So far, I like them. Definitely all seal/fitment issues are gone. And yes. The bass is still there
smily_headphones1.gif

Interesting.  I bought a very similar pair from eBay last year, but not with the K550 in mind; probably for the HE-500.  They were listed as being specific replacements for some Sony cans (can't recall which).  They are seriously thick.

Apr 19, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #90 of 173
Been quite some time since I've posted on here.

Looking for replacement pads for K550s now.

I contacted AKG via phone after an email. They said the Left + right earpads with tax and shipping would be $49.90...

Said they were basically $20.06 each.

I have no clue how they doubled in price. The guy had trouble finding the correct price so I am going to shoot another email just to confirm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back