AKG k550 alternate ear pads?
Sep 10, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #166 of 173
Those look a lot more plush than the generic ones I bought on ebay. Pretty cheap too. Perhaps give it a try and let us know how they are?
Yup i have the same link on aliexpress and a link to a thicker softer looking foam pads Ill try to get a discount from the seller and buy both to test them. They look pretty good to me.

Sep 10, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #168 of 173
So I got my used K550 which was in pretty terrible condition but the drivers are working so that's a start! Cleaned it all up, need to buy a replacement cable (gonna wire it directly to the drivers as I don't really care for single sided cables) and I need new pads and headband cushion too.

Decided to make this el cheapo headband cushion from the original insert and some P leather and extra foam. Had all the material laying around so it's saving me a few monies.

Now for the pads... I'm in Ireland so shipping dekoni or alcantara pads from the US would cost too much and the UK prices are even higher...

Any opinion on these?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/183356810008

I don't mind if it's a little thinner, I can open it up and stuff some extra foam from the original pads or even denser foam if needed to add thickness. I'm wondering if the other dimensions will be similar and the matierial will be the same or sound the same as stock pads.

I don't know what other options I have without breaking the bank :/

After reading this post in another thread I got a pair of this inexpensive eBay pad: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thick-Le...var=552352398906&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 (in black). For all I know they could be the same product as yours, just from a different seller. Anyway, they're pretty OK. Personally I prefer the sound of the Brainwavz angled pads, but these are inexpensive and easy to put on, and (if this matters for your use case) they don't bulk up the look of the headphone the way the angled pads do. They are definitely a good option if you just want to get your K550 back to usable condition without spending a lot (and then play around with alternate pads later).

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #169 of 173
I now have the Brainwavz XL large velour earpads on my K550, and I like them better than the stock pads: They're softer, not sticky, and there's more room inside. Seems these will be more durable too.

Shame AKG can't make long lasting plastic materials: the headband and ear pads have flaked, and the rubberized parts are sticky. I'd be pretty annoyed if I'd bought these new, but good thing they were cheap used.

Jun 20, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #170 of 173
I bought the brainwavz OVAL Angled Profile EARPADS Sheepskin, and today I finally installed. It's not easy, but with patience it's done.
I paid extra for the sheepskin, and I hope that I dont have to replace the earpads again.

After the swap with the cheap chinese earpads, looks like I trade a pair of cheap headphones for my old pair again, the confort/sound/bass is back :).

Jun 21, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #171 of 173
The ovals do take some work — the sheepskin more than the pleather — but in my experience they're well worth it in providing a sound signature quite close to the stock pads.

Edit: to be clear, it's the angled ovals that I feel provide a stock-like sound. The flat ovals don't, in my experience.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #172 of 173
I now have the Brainwavz XL large velour earpads on my K550, and I like them better than the stock pads: They're softer, not sticky, and there's more room inside. Seems these will be more durable too.

Shame AKG can't make long lasting plastic materials: the headband and ear pads have flaked, and the rubberized parts are sticky. I'd be pretty annoyed if I'd bought these new, but good thing they were cheap used.

I bought mine in 2014 new, for 90€, the only problem was the pleather (headband/earpads), the rest of the materials are in good condition, no sticky parts.

I still need to replace the headband, but the sheepskin pads feel great with a sensation of "luxury".

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #173 of 173
I bought mine in 2014 new, for 90€, the only problem was the pleather (headband/earpads), the rest of the materials are in good condition, no sticky parts.

I still need to replace the headband, but the sheepskin pads feel great with a sensation of "luxury".

The plastic/padding part of the headband on one of mine started getting very worn also. A few weeks ago, just as an experiment, I wrapped the headband in kinesiology tape - you stretch it as you wrap it, and once it's on you apply a little friction and heat to sort of help seal it to itself. It is definitely not a new/stock look, but it's not entirely uncool looking either, The stuff is comfortable enough and breathable enough that it's really not a bad headband wrapping material at all. I'm not saying it's as nice as a new headband, but it did make an old K550 (actually K551) headband comfortable again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back