AKG k550 alternate ear pads?
Sep 11, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #31 of 173
The driver housing on the K550 is large at 110 mm, when most headphones are around 100mm. Whilst the K550 has large ear pads the ear cavity is small so to me they are like giant on-ears. The only solution I found so far is to stick on the LCD2 ear pads having installed LCD3 pads on my LCD2.

Oct 7, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #32 of 173
Few cents from me. It's not the only solution. You can get Superlux HD681 EVO pads, both velour and leathered. Both will fit K550 nicely. But be advised: velour is literally killing any signs of bass on this headphones. K550 are very sensitive for proper seal.

Photos of K550 + SL EVO pads and guide (polish) how to do it:
http://www.audiofanatyk.pl/modyfikujemy-brzmienie-sluchawek-akg-k550/

Google Translate:
http://translate.google.pl/translate?sl=pl&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.audiofanatyk.pl%2Fmodyfikujemy-brzmienie-sluchawek-akg-k550%2F

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #34 of 173
Hey, I bought a pair of these recently and I thought the seal was pretty poor too. What I did was get a styrophone block of ebay and cut it to the shape of the headphones, you can make it as thin or thick as you like and put it in behind the memory foam pads that are in the headphones. I found this to be a better solution then to use cotton balls as it's a flat surface, it looks normal and gives a great fit.

Dec 3, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #38 of 173
Try asking your local AKG reseller or just go directly into AKG global spare parts department and send them a message: http://www.akg.com/pro/technical-support

The only replacement pads big enough to fit K550 were from Superlux HD681 EVO, as posted above by me some time ago. Since that time I haven't heard about other pads suitable for this task.

Dec 3, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #39 of 173
LCD2 or 3 pads should fit.

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #40 of 173
I've heard about it, yes, but look at the price tag. The cheapiest option from Audeze's site is for 80$. It is almost a half of the K550 price (quick peek at amazon. Availability aside in countries other than USA.

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #41 of 173
Update:
  The part is on back order. The ETA is on : 07/30/2015

The part is called:   EARPAD L K550

The Part # is: 3280M12010

The price is $10,80 each, plus shipping and handling (For U.S. based customers only).

The part is called:   EARPAD R K550

The Part # is: 3280M12020

The price is $10,80  each, plus shipping and handling (For U.S. based customers only).

Please add tax if you live in New York State (8.5%), California. (8.00 %), Florida (6%), or Arizona (8.10%)

You can order this item by calling us at: 800-422-8027, 800-336-4525 and 800-553-3332.

Thanks again for your e-mail, and please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks & regards,

Anand Sane
Technical Support                                          
Harman International
Lifestyle Division
Web: www.harman.com  

What a joke. I could make a baby and have it delivered before these ear pads. 

I'm trying to see if they will cover it under warranty. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #42 of 173
Back order is the keyword here.

Pads are mostly regarded as consumable thing, therefore not covered by warranty. In some cases when you buy spare pads from for example online shop, you can't return them like any other normal item.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #43 of 173
  Back order is the keyword here.

Pads are mostly regarded as consumable thing, therefore not covered by warranty. In some cases when you buy spare pads from for example online shop, you can't return them like any other normal item.

Props to AKG. They just agreed to replace it:

"Hello Daniel,

If your unit is under warranty please provide me with the purchase receipt so that I can place a no-charge order for and once the ear pads are in stock it will get shipped out to you automatically." 

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #44 of 173
They should be the same pads as the 551 ask him if he has those pads in stock? You might have to pay for them then, but you'll have pads until the others come in stock.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #45 of 173
Thanks daniel for that for the information and part number, before I ordered my AKG K550s almost 2 years back I called AKG customer services who were equally baffled and clueless as to when the AKG K550 ear pads would arrive, was explained since the product only just released it would come out in a few months time.

Which I did not believe and was right !

Its good to hear its cheap and affordable don't mind spending £20-30 on ear pads, but imo it is a quite disappointing to hear they are still far off these ear pads can wear out within a year even its that sweat and heat which means you have to keep them clean and that wears it out further.

Mine are currently itchy since half of the pads worn out but will have to endure the itch for 7 more months I guess :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back