AKG k518DJ headband, pads and cable mods
Feb 26, 2008 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Captain ?degard

Member of the Trade
I know theres a ton of similar topics fo the k81dj, but you can nevr have too many.

Pads:
Whoever i read saying that the Sennheiser HD25 velour pads were extremely difficult to fit on a k81dj, couldnt have been very handy. What you do is you twist the rubber band "inside out" over the pads themselves, then twist about 1/3 of it back. The exposed part go into the slot on the cup on the top by the headband connection, then you just work your way twisting the rest into place while SECURELY holding the in-place band steady so it doesnt fall out of the slot again, until you got it all and can pull the last part into place. use something thin like the back of a exacto blade to push the brubber band on the pads securely into the slots on the cups. Voila, sweet velour

padd.jpg

Headband:
People have reported the k81/k518 (same thign) are very tight. Very true, allthough the problem for me isnt that they squeeze on the side, but right on top of my head (headband fully extended). I bent the headband inwards until i could lock the hinges on each side into one another, and left for some hours That help bend it to better fit my head.

I then cut a piece off a PSP soft case ( DealExtreme: $2.59 Soft Carrying Pouch for PSP Slim / 2000 ) and glued it in the headband. Perfect fit
smily_headphones1.gif

Cable:
I dont believe that changing the entire cable will make a difference, so I only cut the cable to a better length, and fitted an angled neutrik plug. 120 cm long cable is exactly what i need. The wires are painted, but using solder to cook it off works well.

k518.jpg

Feb 29, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 16
This looks interesting. The big gripe I have with the K81s is that they press on the top of my head even on the longest notch. Did you use super glue to stick the padding to the headband?

Feb 29, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by supermoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This looks interesting. The big gripe I have with the K81s is that they press on the top of my head even on the longest notch. Did you use super glue to stick the padding to the headband?

I actually uised wooden glue, since it was the only thing I had around. Im guessing there are better glue types to use for such, but it hasnt fallen off yet. Remember the pressing on top of the head thing also need you to bend the headband.

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #5 of 16
Well adding the padding has fixed the pressure on my head but these are still too tight on the ears! Not to mention the fact that at the highest notch, the shoulders of the headband stick out when worn. It's really unsightly and uncomfortable!

I noticed that besides bending the headband, a much better way would be to find out how to get the 3D-axis joint to bend out further.

k81modau6.jpg

If we can somehow increase the angle at which these will rotate to (the faded parts would be the ideal spot), it can potentially make these phones much more comfortable and give people with bigger heads (like mine!) a better fit. It would also fix the problem of the shoulders sticking out when worn. If you have any idea as to how this can be done please share!! I've tried to figure out how to disassemble that area around the shoulder but haven't had any success.

Jun 9, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 16
Does anyone know of a velour solution for the larger K181DJ?

Jun 13, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #10 of 16
All right. So the headband squeezes down on the top of my head. I'm not entirely sure how to do the headband mod. That is, how exactly am I supposed to bend it? Can anyone help?

Thanks

Jun 13, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #11 of 16
A bit OT, but thanks for this tip. One of those 'I can't believe I didn't think of that' things.
rolleyes.gif
They were hard to slip on even on the HD25s, I struggled so much with trying to stretch the rubber of the pads over the element lips (was comparing the velours to the pleather).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ødegård /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you do is you twist the rubber band "inside out" over the pads themselves,

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #12 of 16
Even with twisting them inside out, I still find it very hard to slip the pads on the headphone. I finished one side after half an hour of trying, and now my hands hurt and I'm pretty annoyed with this. I'll try the second one tomorrow.

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #13 of 16
I found myself forced to cut the cable to. I just cannot fathom why it has to be that long when the phones surely are meant for portable use.

Gives it a little more exclusive feel to.
normal_smile .gif

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #14 of 16
I believe they were created for DJ use where a longer cable makes sense.

I managed to slip the Sennheiser pads on my phones using a spoon. I just wished I had that idea earlier, would have saved me a lot of time and nerves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back