AKG K361/K371
Oct 8, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #511 of 1,294
hi, can someone explain why there are so many refurbished units of AKG K371 (priced since barely 70 euros) on Amazon. are there any recurrent issue that i'm not aware or something (maybe seal issues)?

Oct 16, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #512 of 1,294
I really wish these would have some headband padding. That would make them into the perfect mobile headphones for me. I only use them on long bus rides, and can get over the poor isolation, but the lack of padding is an issue even after adding some myself. Sometimes, but not always, my ears get sore - could be positioning.

Otherwise, great sound that I'm really happy with. More padding and better build quality in general and these would be fantastic :)

Oct 21, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #514 of 1,294
Has anyone compared this with the HD560s?
I haven't, but based on the reviews on the HD560s, the AKG have far, far more sub bass, and flatter mids. Very different voicing. If anything, one would get both to complement each other. One closed, analytical but with big subs, the other open, laid back.

Oct 22, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #515 of 1,294
I haven't, but based on the reviews on the HD560s, the AKG have far, far more sub bass, and flatter mids. Very different voicing. If anything, one would get both to complement each other. One closed, analytical but with big subs, the other open, laid back.

So you consider the K371 to be analytical?

Oct 23, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #516 of 1,294
So you consider the K371 to be analytical?
Well, more so than the Sennheiser. Not laid back, letting you hear deep into the lowest subs, in not having a soft roll off, and not being scooped for fun or boosted for vocals in the mids. They're accurate. You can't have roll offs and you can't have boosting or cutting in the all important mids to analyze what you are working on or referencing. The extra subs, and the energy in the high end can be fun too, but it can be taxing for long listens on bass heavy or bright material. They will make the great reference mixes and masters sound great, but any defects, even in some stuff you thought was just fine on other playback options, will be revealed. So that's a long way of describing their analytical nature.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #517 of 1,294
Well, more so than the Sennheiser. Not laid back, letting you hear deep into the lowest subs, in not having a soft roll off, and not being scooped for fun or boosted for vocals in the mids. They're accurate. You can't have roll offs and you can't have boosting or cutting in the all important mids to analyze what you are working on or referencing. The extra subs, and the energy in the high end can be fun too, but it can be taxing for long listens on bass heavy or bright material. They will make the great reference mixes and masters sound great, but any defects, even in some stuff you thought was just fine on other playback options, will be revealed. So that's a long way of describing their analytical nature.

So the 371 follow the Harman target pretty closely. The debate is on how accurate this sound signature is. It's all about personal taste. For my tastes the bass and sub-bass is great, and the mids are mostly great, but without a little EQ I find them to be too dark. I do listen kind of quietly though, and my opinion on that would probably change if I listened louder. I also find the HD650 to be too dark, but too warm and lack sub-bass extension. I haven't heard the new 560s, but I was interested in trying them.

This is how I EQ my 371:
Screenshot_20201001-154109.png

Oct 23, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #518 of 1,294
So the 371 follow the Harman target pretty closely. The debate is on how accurate this sound signature is. It's all about personal taste. For my tastes the bass and sub-bass is great, and the mids are mostly great, but without a little EQ I find them to be too dark. I do listen kind of quietly though, and my opinion on that would probably change if I listened louder. I also find the HD650 to be too dark, but too warm and lack sub-bass extension. I haven't heard the new 560s, but I was interested in trying them.

That EQ looks good. Myself I hate EQing cans. I prefer they get a sound I like without it which is why have several pairs for reference in my studio. I've listened / tested / returned hundreds of pairs to get what I have now. Still I do most of my mixing / mastering on studio monitors, and a custom sub, but do occasionally reach for headphones for a different perspective. Those AKG K371 are my go to portable pair to bring to other studios when recording to hear every detail in the subs (great for drum recording playback for ribbon mics on the room to hear the kick and low floor tom decay) and provide decent isolation (not the greatest but ok). I have the Philips Fidelio L2 which is a lot like them for home studio use. Isolate decently but not as well as it is a semi open pair. They have a bit more high mid energy, similar higher treble, flat mids, and a bit more mid bass, and almost as much of the amazing low sub bass extension and quantity / quality. Ear pads are a bit less tall for the ears but I manage. I've got the Senn HD58X for laid back open listening. Shure SRH-1540 with different pads for a bit more laid back but still detailed use, and the Samson Z55 with different pads which are similar to the Shure with a bit more high mids and highs and a bit less sub bass quantity. Between those four I can pretty much work with any material without fatigue.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #522 of 1,294
So I finally replaced the pads on my K371 with some Brainwavz small oval pads. Must give credit to a Reddit post that suggested this pairing. I ordered both PU and sheepskin but have only tried the PU so far (because the red color is soooo sexy on the K371!). The replacement process was initially frustrating until I used a guitar pick to help, then it became relatively straightforward. As can be seen, the foam is not as thick as the original pads and is also a little stiffer. My normal-sized ears fit in there just fine and don't touch the drivers at all.

I found the comfort greatly improved. My issue with the original pads were that the leather kept slipping around when I move or make some adjustments to the headphones, as if they were not connected to the foam. It felt weird and more importantly always made some annoying rustling noise. When I removed the original pads, I immediately saw the reason why, because the leather was not glued on at all (forgot to take a picture). I could clearly see the gap between the leather and the white foam underneath. Perhaps it's just my pair? Anyway, the Brainwavz thankfully solved the issue. I cannot comment on any change in sound signature or stage though.

So if anyone has problems with the original pads, do give these a try. I saw some users also put HM5 pads (larger size with more padding) on the K371 and may consider trying that in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_20201028_121954.jpg
    IMG_20201028_121954.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Oct 28, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #523 of 1,294
These have a less portable competitor now. The Samson SR880. $80 at Sam Ash and Adorama Camera in the USA and maybe a few other places. Very new, not widespread. I bought them on a hunch. Very similar to the AKG in having a detailed but not overly harsh high end and incredible low sub bass reach with flat & honest mids and less bloat in their mid bass. They have a bit more mid bass than the AKG K371 but not excessive. They don't fold but the head strap holders can be pushed way up to allow them to fit more head sizes. Even with that done it wasn't high up enough so I had to completely remove it so only the outer bands are on and I had to bend the hell out of them to fit. Carefully, as they are all plastic which can snap if over done. The pads are too shallow so I swapped in $13 Gesongsze Brainwavz clones - https://tinyurl.com/y3a2go6b. They increase ear space and spaciousness, but they do increase the already brutal clamp that you can mitigate carefully stretching these. Easier for smaller heads, but with both wide, and long heads like mine, it is tricky. I wouldn't have done all that if not worth it, they were. My Shure SRH1540, with custom pads, beats it in quality, but it costs several times more.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #524 of 1,294
I replaced the regular pads with HM5 as well! They feel much better on my ears, I just wish the headphones themselves were a bit less oval-y and more round-ish. As they are now they're basically on ear for me, and I'd prefer if they were over ear.
I'm using the angled pads, very happy with them so far!

Oct 29, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #525 of 1,294
I ordered a pair of K371s from Sweetwater and they just arrived.

I have a question - if the pads come bunched up from packaging will they straighten back out after awhile or not? Thanks in advance!

20201029_160611~2.jpg
20201029_160716.jpg
20201029_155251.jpg
20201029_154925.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back