AKG K361/K371
Sep 2, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #481 of 1,294
Hi guys,

the AKG K371 has become my choice for a new "project" = a pseudo bluetooth closed back Hp in combination with the tiny but mighty qudelix K5 bluetooth dac-amp. Being very easy to drive and good solid all-around sound made it surpass 3-4 other candidates. So far, so good. However, like with the Sony bluetooth XM3 I had for a short time I find the comfort not perfect for me - the pads are too soft for me and a touch too narrow and thin in conjunction with the rather strong clamp my ears touch the driver and things get warm and kinda sweaty. Too cut a longer story short - and my excuses up front if this topic has already come up which it very likely did - what would be some bigger, more solid replacement earpads for the K371??? Cheers Uli

Sep 2, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #482 of 1,294
I did what you described but with an ES100 and I love it. Along well the Spotify and the Wavelet Android EQ app and LDAC these are great. IMG_20200706_103443.jpg

Sep 3, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #483 of 1,294
Hi guys,

the AKG K371 has become my choice for a new "project" = a pseudo bluetooth closed back Hp in combination with the tiny but mighty qudelix K5 bluetooth dac-amp. Being very easy to drive and good solid all-around sound made it surpass 3-4 other candidates. So far, so good. However, like with the Sony bluetooth XM3 I had for a short time I find the comfort not perfect for me - the pads are too soft for me and a touch too narrow and thin in conjunction with the rather strong clamp my ears touch the driver and things get warm and kinda sweaty. Too cut a longer story short - and my excuses up front if this topic has already come up which it very likely did - what would be some bigger, more solid replacement earpads for the K371??? Cheers Uli

I personally like the Yaxi stPad2 which to me is a solid replacement earpad. To what I hear, it doesn't alter much the K371 sound signature but another owner said that it does change the sound signature, taking the fun away from the K371.

Sep 3, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #484 of 1,294
I did what you described but with an ES100 and I love it. Along well the Spotify and the Wavelet Android EQ app and LDAC these are great. IMG_20200706_103443.jpg
yup, that looks familiar :) . I have the qudelix strapped to the headband on the side. How did you attach the ES100?

Sep 3, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #485 of 1,294
I personally like the Yaxi stPad2 which to me is a solid replacement earpad. To what I hear, it doesn't alter much the K371 sound signature but another owner said that it does change the sound signature, taking the fun away from the K371.
Ah, I'll check those out. Thanx for the tip ...

Sep 3, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #486 of 1,294
Ah, I'll check those out. Thanx for the tip ...

most welcome

the following is my earlier post here with the pad swap

2020-08-03 02.38.20 1.jpg

Pad rolling report. I changed the stock pad to YAXI stPad2. Non scientific impression with only my ear as my measurement gear. Reading this is for pleasure.

Sub-bass is a bit impacted, just a tad, maybe its the rumble. I don't know if it is placebo, but slight increased in soundstage, or maybe it is the increased in its airiness. Need more listening time and ab test. Happy to report that the shouty upper mid bit is still there.

The pad is deep enough that the top of my ear doesn't touch the driver, which I something that I experience with the stock pad. Fit is good, the way the headphone clamped my noggin now is similar to my HD650. which is good for me. I don't get the 'sloppiness' feel anymore. Stability is on the good side.

To compare with another earpad, I have a generic HM5 hybrid earpads (aliexpress, not the original brainwavz), fitted on my HD330. Rolled it before, nope, didn't like it. Couldn't even finish a single track. Sounds horrid.

All in all, my take is that it doesn't stray away from the K371 stock sound sig, with improvement in fit. Good stuff.

Sep 3, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #487 of 1,294
Sep 3, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #488 of 1,294
Sep 3, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #489 of 1,294
so same as here. Custom cable?

Cut down an old Q701 cable a put a new 3.5mm plug on it. I wish the mini XLR end was a lot shorter but otherwise it works well.

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #490 of 1,294
Cut down an old Q701 cable a put a new 3.5mm plug on it. I wish the mini XLR end was a lot shorter but otherwise it works well.
wonder what the shortest 3pin Mini-XLR standard cable is one could buy - not the boutique stuff naturally. Good thing is though with the K371 you can go single ended to the qudelix, no problem. For laughs I ordered a short balanced custom cable for the Verite Closed ....

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #491 of 1,294
wonder what the shortest 3pin Mini-XLR standard cable is one could buy - not the boutique stuff naturally. Good thing is though with the K371 you can go single ended to the qudelix, no problem. For laughs I ordered a short balanced custom cable for the Verite Closed ....

Even when using the 371 wired the mini XLR end can sometimes touch your shoulder if your moving around. I'd really like to find a short 90 or 45 degree mini XLR end and redo my cable into something that's better looking and shorter.

A 45 at the 3.5mm end and a 45 or a 90 at the mini XLR end would be a lot nicer than what I have, but what I have works other than sticking down a bit far and not looking as clean as could be. My K371 only gets used at home inside my home, so whatever.

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #492 of 1,294
Even when using the 371 wired the mini XLR end can sometimes touch your shoulder if your moving around. I'd really like to find a short 90 or 45 degree mini XLR end and redo my cable into something that's better looking and shorter.

A 45 at the 3.5mm end and a 45 or a 90 at the mini XLR end would be a lot nicer than what I have, but what I have works other than sticking down a bit far and not looking as clean as could be. My K371 only gets used at home inside my home, so whatever.
you mean something like this? It's a 4pin though ...
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Switchcraft...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Sep 3, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #493 of 1,294
Sep 3, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #494 of 1,294
Something like that, yea.
When I get a good custom cable for the ZMF that is what I have in mind for termination because with the Verite or any ZMF depending on the angle your sitting on your counch stuff does get in the way ...

Sep 3, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #495 of 1,294
When I get a good custom cable for the ZMF that is what I have in mind for termination because with the Verite or any ZMF depending on the angle your sitting on your counch stuff does get in the way ...
"couch" I mean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back