AKG K361/K371
Sep 11, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #496 of 1,294
Are there instructions or suggestions on how to remove/replace the earpads of the K371, or perhaps even a how-to VDO? If so, are there any recommendations for replacement pads for these (ex. would brainwavz hm5 work?). I can't seem to find any mounting mechanisms or attachment rings on them, and am afraid to randomly start pulling on the edges. I really love the K371 but the earpads are a weak point for me 1. the leatherette moves around if I adjust them on my head as if they are loose fitting on the foam 2. I live in a hot humid country, which means I don't think the pads will last very long based on experience with previous cans.

Sep 11, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #497 of 1,294
Are there instructions or suggestions on how to remove/replace the earpads of the K371, or perhaps even a how-to VDO? If so, are there any recommendations for replacement pads for these (ex. would brainwavz hm5 work?). I can't seem to find any mounting mechanisms or attachment rings on them, and am afraid to randomly start pulling on the edges. I really love the K371 but the earpads are a weak point for me 1. the leatherette moves around if I adjust them on my head as if they are loose fitting on the foam 2. I live in a hot humid country, which means I don't think the pads will last very long based on experience with previous cans.
The pads just slip on and off into a grove. It's pretty easy.

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #503 of 1,294
Can someone compare the creative aurvana live with the k371 in terms of comfort? After a while the Cal, start to hurt on the top and top much pressure on the sides, also get a little hot.

Some photos comparing both in the head would be nice 😂 want to have an idea how big they are.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #504 of 1,294
Just swapped my ES100 out for a Qudelix 5K.
PXL_20200919_003205556.NIGHT.jpg

I really need to redo the cable with a black cable and shorter without the loop. I might have to cut up a stock K371 cable. I just need to buy a soldering iron and some heat shrink tubing.

Oct 7, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #505 of 1,294
Guys, do they sell spare pads for the k371? I can’t find it. If not, it’s not a durable headphone. The pleather will eventually wear out, and i don’t want to use brainwave pads that change the sound.

Oct 7, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #506 of 1,294
Guys, do they sell spare pads for the k371? I can’t find it. If not, it’s not a durable headphone. The pleather will eventually wear out, and i don’t want to use brainwave pads that change the sound.
Maybe try emailing/calling AKG directly for stock pads, as I don;t believe theya re sold anywhere

Yaxi STPad2 are what I use regularly. Much more comfortable/breathable than stock and don't noticeably change the sound too much. I think they make them a tad more balanced with a bit more soundstage, but they are a little pricey.

Oct 8, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #507 of 1,294
Maybe try emailing/calling AKG directly for stock pads, as I don;t believe theya re sold anywhere

Yaxi STPad2 are what I use regularly. Much more comfortable/breathable than stock and don't noticeably change the sound too much. I think they make them a tad more balanced with a bit more soundstage, but they are a little pricey.

+1 for STPad2

Oct 8, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #508 of 1,294
Agree.

Agree also. Per some of my comments here, the K361 didn't really sound that much like the K371 or K553 in my listening tests. And I'd be somewhat surprised if they are all using the exact same titanium drivers, with just some differences in damping. Stranger things have happened though.
Well, for those who may be interested. I had the K361 and K371 at the same time and took them apart to see what was different. The baffle plates are designed very differently. The baffle plate on the K371 is much more elaborate and has proper rear vent ports built in while the K361 seems to lack them.

It is also very clear that the K371 front diffuser has much more free air area distributed around the entire diaphram face while the K361 has much less, with all its openings concentrated more to the inner central area and none near the outer area.

The K361 has only 4 fixing screws while the K371 has 6.

The back of the drivers (where the magnets are) both look the same to me.

After much use and deliberation of both, I strongly favor the K371.

I changed the K371 cable to a shorter 1m aftermarket version and I reckon that it sounds better. I reckon that the stock cables have as much copper in them as I get in my daily zinc supplements! :ksc75smile:

Overall the K371 sounds far too good for its price and therefore should be banned from Head-Fi...............................

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #509 of 1,294
Well, for those who may be interested. I had the K361 and K371 at the same time and took them apart to see what was different. The baffle plates are designed very differently. The baffle plate on the K371 is much more elaborate and has proper rear vent ports built in while the K361 seems to lack them.

It is also very clear that the K371 front diffuser has much more free air area distributed around the entire diaphram face while the K361 has much less, with all its openings concentrated more to the inner central area and none near the other area.

The K361 has only 4 fixing screws while the K371 has 6.

The back of the drivers where the magnets are both looks the same to me.

After much deliberation and use of both, I strongly favor the K371.

I changed the K371 cable to a shorter 1m aftermarket version and I reckon that it sounds better. I reckon that the stock cables have as much copper in them as I get in my daily zinc supplements! :ksc75smile:

Overall the K371 sounds far too good for its price and therefore should be banned from Head-Fi...............................
@AKG if you are listening. Please just reduce the uppermids forwardness a bit, and keep that nice thumpin bass and the pricing, and I'm sold. My closed-back value end-game.

Damn I love dat bass. Didn't know I was a basshead. Does that mean I'm not an audiophile? I have to listen to rolled off open-backs to be an audiophile?

Perhaps the headfi admins will ban this thread for too good to be true. We can't have value priced items in this hobby.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #510 of 1,294
@AKG if you are listening. Please just reduce the uppermids forwardness a bit, and keep that nice thumpin bass and the pricing, and I'm sold. My closed-back value end-game.

Damn I love dat bass. Didn't know I was a basshead. Does that mean I'm not an audiophile? I have to listen to rolled off open-backs to be an audiophile?

Perhaps the headfi admins will ban this thread for too good to be true. We can't have value priced items in this hobby.
Lol!

I find the K371 near perfect and and really like the vocals presence.

Agreed, I love the bass but was not sure at first but we can turn down the volume and still get that fullness of sound that makes them so non fatiguing. For me, after some burn-in, the highs seem to open up and they don't sound too bassy.

Overall, it is a very enjoyable headphone that should be getting much more attention!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back