AKG K361/K371
Nov 13, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #541 of 1,294
Well, this one I can answer. Doesn't seem to be replaceable, but it's holding well after 3 months. Last week I begun to use some kind of cover made with neoprene, like those wetsuits, to protect, just in case. It improved a bit the feel on the top of the head.

I've had my K371 for almost a year now. In a couple weeks it'll be a year. Mine still look and feel like new, including the headband and the hinges/adjustment mechanisms.

Nov 15, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #542 of 1,294
Do you think getting angled vs non-angled would make any difference (other than a few dollars)?

I think that in order to do some proper testing I'd need two pairs of headphones because by the time I take off a pair of pads and put on a different one, the chances that the older sound will still be in my head are close to 0. With angled pads I have the feeling that sound stage is a bit wider/deeper. Ideal pads would not change the original sound signature of the 371 (I like it a lot, to be honest) while improving comfort and sound stage (a bit narrow for my taste). I haven't found the ideal pads yet, but with the angled Brainwavz I'm enjoying the overall 371 package more than stock.

Nov 16, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #544 of 1,294
Are AKG K371 the best option in the under 150 € range? Could Tempotec Sonata HD Pro drive them correctly or something more powerful?

To me, they are the best budget option available right now. Of course there's the always loved ATH-M50x of which I own and like the Bluetooth variant (had the K371 BT as well, but somehow it did not click with me, contrary to the cabled version), which is robust and proven. Yet the K371 to me sounds more detailed, with a bit wider soundstage and a very well done low bass boost (something I really enjoy). The K371 has less clamping pressure than the M50x, is overall more comfortable -- though thats very personal of course.

Regarding build quality: I own the K371 for quite some time, did not have any problem with them. I don't use them outside though, and I have lots of other headphones... so they are not that stressed :wink: Others had some problems, though my impression was that were rather minor things given the price. That being said, the M50x is more robust...

Nov 16, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #545 of 1,294
To me, they are the best budget option available right now. Of course there's the always loved ATH-M50x of which I own and like the Bluetooth variant (had the K371 BT as well, but somehow it did not click with me, contrary to the cabled version), which is robust and proven. Yet the K371 to me sounds more detailed, with a bit wider soundstage and a very well done low bass boost (something I really enjoy). The K371 has less clamping pressure than the M50x, is overall more comfortable -- though thats very personal of course.

Regarding build quality: I own the K371 for quite some time, did not have any problem with them. I don't use them outside though, and I have lots of other headphones... so they are not that stressed :wink: Others had some problems, though my impression was that were rather minor things given the price. That being said, the M50x is more robust...
If instead of these AKGs I waited a little longer to get something like Hifiman Sundara then would there be a huge difference in terms of sound quality?

Nov 16, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #546 of 1,294
If instead of these AKGs I waited a little longer to get something like Hifiman Sundara then would there be a huge difference in terms of sound quality?

I have to admit that my opinion of Hifiman products is not the best... I don't like their upgraditis (i.e. too many models much too fast) or their sometimes really bad manufacturing quality (a flagship where the grates on the frame ruin the pads... a 1600,- model that's made of cheap plastic etc.) and I've yet to find a single sound signature I like: most sound simply bland to me, many have bad comfort (too heavy, too large cups that sit in the wrong places). I must also add that in general I don't like how planar drivers present bass, regardless of manufacturer.

So, in short, personally I'd never consider the Sundara, so I've never tried it and can therefore not compare it to the K371.

In general there's something called diminishing returns: ever so slightly better headphones tend to cost ever more if you're approaching high end... in my opinion you get very good headphones in the price range of 150-500,-, above that it may make sense to look at models up to ~1k, maybe 1,5k. And believe me, I tried...

So while many things are more a matter of taste than actual quality (which is hard to define clearly), there's no guarantee that something more expensive sounds better *to you*. And in the end thats all that matters (i.e. if *you* are happy with the product). And not what someone on the internet said :wink:

If you have the opportunity to test both in direct comparison, go with the one that doesn't kill your budget and sounds good -- many differences vanish when not heard in the context of a direct comparison anyway. Otherwise get the K317 and call it a day. It is a really good headphone after all.

Nov 16, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #547 of 1,294
I have to admit that my opinion of Hifiman products is not the best... I don't like their upgraditis (i.e. too many models much too fast) or their sometimes really bad manufacturing quality (a flagship where the grates on the frame ruin the pads... a 1600,- model that's made of cheap plastic etc.) and I've yet to find a single sound signature I like: most sound simply bland to me, many have bad comfort (too heavy, too large cups that sit in the wrong places). I must also add that in general I don't like how planar drivers present bass, regardless of manufacturer.

So, in short, personally I'd never consider the Sundara, so I've never tried it and can therefore not compare it to the K371.

In general there's something called diminishing returns: ever so slightly better headphones tend to cost ever more if you're approaching high end... in my opinion you get very good headphones in the price range of 150-500,-, above that it may make sense to look at models up to ~1k, maybe 1,5k. And believe me, I tried...

So while many things are more a matter of taste than actual quality (which is hard to define clearly), there's no guarantee that something more expensive sounds better *to you*. And in the end thats all that matters (i.e. if *you* are happy with the product). And not what someone on the internet said :wink:

If you have the opportunity to test both in direct comparison, go with the one that doesn't kill your budget and sounds good -- many differences vanish when not heard in the context of a direct comparison anyway. Otherwise get the K317 and call it a day. It is a really good headphone after all.
Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I have to make a choice in the dark ... the only way I would have to test would be to order two models that interest me from Amazon and then return the one I like least.

I am seriously considering getting these AKG K371s.

Nov 16, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #548 of 1,294
Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I have to make a choice in the dark ... the only way I would have to test would be to order two models that interest me from Amazon and then return the one I like least.

I hate to play devil’s advocate but...I think the Sundara is a major upgrade. Of course the benefit of the K371 is that they’re closed back and don’t need much power, but in terms of sound I think they beat the K371 in just about every aspect, and I love the K371. Only thing is that the Sundara’s treble is a little spicy but it seems to be mostly just an issue with poor sounding/bright music.

Nov 17, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #549 of 1,294
I have the K371 and ATH-MRS7b right now here, testing both and deciding which one to keep in a couple of days.

First impressions:
- MSR7b much wider staging, Soundtracks and Orchestral music sound more grand also due to the tuning.
- The treble of the japanese defines the sound signature, very airy but also making it somewhat thin sounding ( in comparison). I really like the airy feeling on more relaxed music.
- Vocals more forward and ful bodied on AKG K371
-Switching from ATH to AKG and the AKG will sound muffled in comparison, but also much more relaxed. Was kind of a relief, the MRS7b was fatiguating after already 30min.
- Bass detail on MRS7B is better and also goes deeper, but overall bass quantity seems to be less.
- The K371 is the much more natural, organic sounding headphone for me. Very relaxed and personally more comfortable on my ears, my brother finds the MRS7b more comfortable.
- So for longterm listening definitely K371, while MRS7b is more suited for the short dopamine effect when you are listening to grand compositions. In a perfect world I would own both, but for now it seems like the K371 takes the race.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #550 of 1,294
I have the K371 and ATH-MRS7b right now here, testing both and deciding which one to keep in a couple of days.

First impressions:
- MSR7b much wider staging, Soundtracks and Orchestral music sound more grand also due to the tuning.
- The treble of the japanese defines the sound signature, very airy but also making it somewhat thin sounding ( in comparison). I really like the airy feeling on more relaxed music.
- Vocals more forward and ful bodied on AKG K371
-Switching from ATH to AKG and the AKG will sound muffled in comparison, but also much more relaxed. Was kind of a relief, the MRS7b was fatiguating after already 30min.
- Bass detail on MRS7B is better and also goes deeper, but overall bass quantity seems to be less.
- The K371 is the much more natural, organic sounding headphone for me. Very relaxed and personally more comfortable on my ears, my brother finds the MRS7b more comfortable.
- So for longterm listening definitely K371, while MRS7b is more suited for the short dopamine effect when you are listening to grand compositions. In a perfect world I would own both, but for now it seems like the K371 takes the race.
Is it the treble on the MRS7b fatiguing? I found it too much. K371 better when it comes to fatigue, but the upper-mids can get a little annoying.

I agree with on the imaging of the MRS7b and the thin sounding.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #551 of 1,294
Yes, the MRS7b remind me kind of the Beyerdynamic T90 but not as bad.
Coming from the Galaxy Buds, the K371 is more subdued in the upper mids and I prefer it that way. I really like the tuning of the K371, it is near perfect for me. Just wish it has more bass detail like the MRS7b. But for 110€... it is a steal. Portable headphone industry has really come a long way, my wallet thanks the K371.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #552 of 1,294
Yes, the MRS7b remind me kind of the Beyerdynamic T90 but not as bad.
Coming from the Galaxy Buds, the K371 is more subdued in the upper mids and I prefer it that way. I really like the tuning of the K371, it is near perfect for me. Just wish it has more bass detail like the MRS7b. But for 110€... it is a steal. Portable headphone industry has really come a long way, my wallet thanks the K371.
I personally has no qualms about the bass on the K371, personally like how the bass is presented with it (using some of the better amps out there, not portable). However, with the MRS7b I did. Just wasn't enough bass. Even the measurements shows the bass decline.

I've recently listened to the Meze 99 Classic, and prefer the bass on the K371, and in the general tonal response of the K371. K371 having no pad room, the imaging is fairly flat. Meze 99 Classic is also emphasized in the treble like the MSRS7b, but not quite as piercing.

I found Galaxy Buds perfectly fine for treble, but Buds+ had a bit too much.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #553 of 1,294

Just to add my thoughts, but I feel the K371 and the Sundara differ in terms of intended usage. The K371, being closed back, are good if you want sound isolation and to avoid leakage. So if you use it outside or at the office often, or for monitoring voice recordings or online meetings, they're great in terms of sound and comfort for the price. The Sundara, being open back, are more suited for home usage in a quiet environment. So that usage may be an extra consideration for you (in addition to the sound). While I do agree with the earlier poster regarding the iffy build quality and design choices of Hifiman, I personally love how they sound. In fact, I use an 4xx at home and the K371 at the office.

Nov 18, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #554 of 1,294
Just to add my thoughts, but I feel the K371 and the Sundara differ in terms of intended usage. The K371, being closed back, are good if you want sound isolation and to avoid leakage. So if you use it outside or at the office often, or for monitoring voice recordings or online meetings, they're great in terms of sound and comfort for the price. The Sundara, being open back, are more suited for home usage in a quiet environment. So that usage may be an extra consideration for you (in addition to the sound). While I do agree with the earlier poster regarding the iffy build quality and design choices of Hifiman, I personally love how they sound. In fact, I use an 4xx at home and the K371 at the office.
I would only use it at home, for the outside I prefer iems. Total isolation is therefore not really a fundamental thing.

But between closed and open headphones, is the substantial difference in sound level only in the soundstage? With open headphones having a wider soundstage ...

And is the soundstage of a closed headphone like that of iems or a little better?

Last thing, is AKG K371 very easy to drive? Would a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro be enough to drive it at its best?

I also have more powerful devices but only with 2.5mm balanced output.

Nov 18, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #555 of 1,294
I would only use it at home, for the outside I prefer iems. Total isolation is therefore not really a fundamental thing.

But between closed and open headphones, is the substantial difference in sound level only in the soundstage? With open headphones having a wider soundstage ...

And is the soundstage of a closed headphone like that of iems or a little better?

Last thing, is AKG K371 very easy to drive? Would a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro be enough to drive it at its best?

I also have more powerful devices but only with 2.5mm balanced output.

The K371 is easy to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back